Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Laptop for Primary school students

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Re: Laptop for Primary school students

Postby grimm » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:00 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
grimm wrote:Maybe things are different now? And maybe more for upper primary students?

Personally, I love my toys so I can't wait for an excuse to buy him his first laptop (maybe a Microsoft Surface) :smile: or better yet his first gaming laptop!

Fight that temptation. You will rue the day when you have to stop his addiction to online games with his friends.

For kids until Secondary 4, I think it is better to give them a desktop machine which they can only access in the living room, out in the open. It is much easier to oversee what they are using the machine for that way.

Good point. Probably a light use laptop like the Surface and a gaming desktop then.

I can put the desktop in the study where I spend most of my time so I can monitor him (although it will be a pain trying to fit 2 gaming desktops in the room ).

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Lucky Cat GP Guru » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi Searchingyou, you may wish to check out Lenovo's education store at https://shopap.lenovo.com/sgcepp01/sg/e ... tion_store. I recall seeing some affordable laptops over there the last time I visited. Would personally recommend to get a warranty of at least 2 years as well.

Cheers!

Lucky Cat GP Guru
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Lucky Cat GP Guru » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:49 pm

Before I forget, you may also wish to check out prices in Johor Bahru (KSL or Danga City Mall), if travelling is not a hassle to you. Prices there tend to be 10% cheaper than retail in Singapore. Parisilk in SG may work as well.

Lucky Cat GP Guru
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jetsetter » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:57 pm

grimm wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote:
grimm wrote:Maybe things are different now? And maybe more for upper primary students?

Personally, I love my toys so I can't wait for an excuse to buy him his first laptop (maybe a Microsoft Surface) :smile: or better yet his first gaming laptop!

Fight that temptation. You will rue the day when you have to stop his addiction to online games with his friends.

For kids until Secondary 4, I think it is better to give them a desktop machine which they can only access in the living room, out in the open. It is much easier to oversee what they are using the machine for that way.

Good point. Probably a light use laptop like the Surface and a gaming desktop then.

I can put the desktop in the study where I spend most of my time so I can monitor him (although it will be a pain trying to fit 2 gaming desktops in the room ).

why do you want a gaming desktop for your child? :scratchhead: don't think it's advisable

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby grimm » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:17 pm

jetsetter wrote:Why do you want a gaming desktop for your child? :scratchhead: don't think it's advisable

Why PC instead console? He's going to need a PC at some point anyway so I rather not have 2 systems.

Why a gaming desktop? Because it sucks to have a lame machine. I grew up with my fair share of substandard PCs.

Why gaming at all? Because I have been gaming one way or another since I was 9 and never stopped. I figure it's only a matter of time for him but I would prefer to have some oversight so Chief's recommendation to have a desktop instead of a laptop is a very good one.

Of course, if he doesn't like gaming (which will be disappointing), I will get something boring instead.

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby gunpointfool » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Just thought I'd say this, I have this guy in my class who is a real gamer. When it comes to games, no one is better than him. He first got his gaming laptop at age six. No parental controls. Laptop wasn't in the living room. He plays way more than 2 hours a day.

Sounds like the guy who'd fail life right? Wrong. He is in the top class. In fact, he has been in the top class for his entire 6 years of primary school. He always scores A*s in Maths, and high As for the other subjects. Heck, he even has distinction in higher mother tongue. He always tells people who ask him about his "addiction", "gaming is not my addiction. It is my skill".

I guess the take home lesson is, let your addiction be a smart one. Don't let it affect you. Addiction is okay, it is purely human nature. It is how we handle the addiction.

gunpointfool
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby zbear » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:25 pm

gunpointfool wrote:Just thought I'd say this, I have this guy in my class who is a real gamer. When it comes to games, no one is better than him. He first got his gaming laptop at age six. No parental controls. Laptop wasn't in the living room. He plays way more than 2 hours a day.

Sounds like the guy who'd fail life right? Wrong. He is in the top class. In fact, he has been in the top class for his entire 6 years of primary school. He always scores A*s in Maths, and high As for the other subjects. Heck, he even has distinction in higher mother tongue. He always tells people who ask him about his "addiction", "gaming is not my addiction. It is my skill".

I guess the take home lesson is, let your addiction be a smart one. Don't let it affect you. Addiction is okay, it is purely human nature. It is how we handle the addiction.

How is his EQ and social interaction with people around him?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Elizabeth92 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:04 am

What about Asus EeeBook X205? It's not expensive and has good specifications.

Elizabeth92
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MRC Kindergarten Serangoon North » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:07 pm

You may want to consider HP Notebook 14-am084TU. It costs only $599 and comes with a free laptop bag and 1 year internet security.

MRC Kindergarten Serangoon North
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Risobia » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:27 am

Instead of Laptop, you might want to consider purchasing IPad? Because I think it is pretty convenient and easy to use. For learning purpose, IPad is pretty good already : )

Risobia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Gadgets

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres