Macbook battery replacement

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Macbook battery replacement

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:08 am

My daughter's Macbook Pro Retina (purchased June 2013) needs a replacement battery. Does anyone have a recommendation of a place which is reliable and not too expensive? I believe that Mac batteries are pretty costly. Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Macbook battery replacement

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 am

slmkhoo wrote:My daughter's Macbook Pro Retina (purchased June 2013) needs a replacement battery. Does anyone have a recommendation of a place which is reliable and not too expensive? I believe that Mac batteries are pretty costly. Thanks!

You should get a quote from Apple first. Then go to Sim Lim Square to get it fixed.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby hquek » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:10 am

will the batteries be the same? Considering news of batteries that emit more than electric power these days, I would be wary.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:42 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:My daughter's Macbook Pro Retina (purchased June 2013) needs a replacement battery. Does anyone have a recommendation of a place which is reliable and not too expensive? I believe that Mac batteries are pretty costly. Thanks!

You should get a quote from Apple first. Then go to Sim Lim Square to get it fixed.

Any specific shops that you can recommend? We would like to get an original battery, but wonder if other shops would be cheaper than the Apple store, but still reliable. My husband already has a quote from Apple, I believe. We are mainly Windows users, and this is the only Mac we have ever owned!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:45 am

I'm not sure on their pricing for servicing but they are Apple's authorised service centres in Sg. Can ask for a quote

https://locate.apple.com/sg/en/service/ ... dress=City

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:09 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Any specific shops that you can recommend? We would like to get an original battery, but wonder if other shops would be cheaper than the Apple store, but still reliable. My husband already has a quote from Apple, I believe. We are mainly Windows users, and this is the only Mac we have ever owned!

The safest would be to go back to Apple. If you go elsewhere, it will be difficult to guarantee you get an original, or it may be original but was actually taken out from another Macbook.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby schweppes » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Slmkhoo, is your girl's laptop on AppleCare? If still under warranty, may be able to get free replacement

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:09 pm

schweppes wrote:Slmkhoo, is your girl's laptop on AppleCare? If still under warranty, may be able to get free replacement

Batteries aren't covered by warranty, and the warranty just ran out in June!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lexis » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:58 am

I used Fynd to replace the battery on my 5 year old MBP a few months ago.. still working ok.

https://www.getfynd.com/

lexis
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lucky Cat GP Guru » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:10 am

lexis wrote:I used Fynd to replace the battery on my 5 year old MBP a few months ago.. still working ok.

https://www.getfynd.com/

Interesting business model. Thanks for sharing :smile:

Lucky Cat GP Guru
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Technology & Gadgets