Which brand/model of laptop has a number pad?

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Which brand/model of laptop has a number pad?

Postby Jennifer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:40 pm

I am looking to replace my current Fujitsu laptop (discontinued model running at Windows 7, incompatible with Windows 10) which is running slower these days. Recently a blue screen showed up. I dunno when it will die on me.

I have a Acer i5 5th generation passed to me from ah boy (no idea why hubby bought such a low standard specs laptop for ah boy in the first place). This Acer makes me bored with waiting for it to boot up n be ready to access for work.

If there is a lobang which I can trade in the Acer laptop for a new laptop, I will be most happy to do so.

Kindly please recommend a laptop for work, preferably come with a number pad. I do not mind its weight since I work from home and will hardly need to bring it out.

Many thanks in advance.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Which brand/model of laptop has a number pad?

Postby Jennifer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:01 pm

ASUS K/A and X series 15+" laptop has number pad.

Anyone using any of the above ASUS K/A or X series?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:12 pm

There are separate number pad that you can buy. Will you consider those so you have more options on laptop?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:22 pm

ngl2010 wrote:There are separate number pad that you can buy. Will you consider those so you have more options on laptop?

I have tried using the stand alone number pad when I first bought the Fujitsu. It drained battery very quickly as I always forgot to switch off and it took up another USB port.

Agree my choices are much limited by this dislike of stand alone number pad.

Now that Funan Centre is closed, where did all the computer shops move to?

Or my go to will only be Best Denki, Courts, Harvey Norman stores?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby grimm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:03 am

You can try Newstead (formerly at Funan), now at Marina Square and a couple of other locations.

Challenger is still around but in the various malls.

Sim Lim is actually ok these days - just stick to the PC shops around 3rd, 4th and 5th floors. Some of the prices are set by the manufacturer so it's quite "safe" in that sense.

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Jennifer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:16 am

grimm wrote:You can try Newstead (formerly at Funan), now at Marina Square and a couple of other locations.

Challenger is still around but in the various malls.

Sim Lim is actually ok these days - just stick to the PC shops around 3rd, 4th and 5th floors. Some of the prices are set by the manufacturer so it's quite "safe" in that sense.

:thankyou:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Went to Sim Lim Square this afternoon.

Turned out most laptops with number pad are gaming laptops.

Only a handful of business laptops, mostly no number pad, are available.

Fujitsu laptops can still be found at Sim Lim, but very limited quantity by a handful of shops. Its prices not low, at least $2k.

Lenovo has a good model, but I do not like the surface of its keypads

ASUS has a model which I can consider, priced around $1.5 and the shop can upgrade to 12GB RAM foc for me. Only downside is it only has the Intel standard graphics card, not those GT types.

On my way out, I saw a Panasonic Toughbook on display in another shop, no brochure available.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:57 am

Not computer-savvy, so I don't know if these ideas are feasible, but have you considered plugging in another keyboard, or getting a desktop?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:37 am

slmkhoo wrote:Not computer-savvy, so I don't know if these ideas are feasible, but have you considered plugging in another keyboard, or getting a desktop?

I use my NB like a desktop...with monitor, mouse and KB!! :lol:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby grimm » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:00 am

Jennifer wrote:Went to Sim Lim Square this afternoon.

Turned out most laptops with number pad are gaming laptops.

Only a handful of business laptops, mostly no number pad, are available.

Fujitsu laptops can still be found at Sim Lim, but very limited quantity by a handful of shops. Its prices not low, at least $2k.

Lenovo has a good model, but I do not like the surface of its keypads

ASUS has a model which I can consider, priced around $1.5 and the shop can upgrade to 12GB RAM foc for me. Only downside is it only has the Intel standard graphics card, not those GT types.

On my way out, I saw a Panasonic Toughbook on display in another shop, no brochure available.

One other option you can consider is Aftershock (www.aftershockpc.com). They are a local outfit providing custom gaming laptops. My own history with them - I had 1 of their gaming laptop for 2 years and now using their gaming desktop for about 9 months.

Not sure why you are not keen on gaming laptops but their MX series might work for you for the following reasons:
1) 15.6 inch laptop
2) Comes with a numeric keypad
3) Price starts from $1418 (which is around your budget)
4) Customization options in terms of HDD and RAM
5) Warranty 2 years for parts, 3 years for technical support

What I really like about them:
1) Looks - Their machines are generally not gaudy if you do not want them to be. Just let them know. I have used my previous gaming laptop from them in office when my office laptop was not up to scratch and a number of colleagues were surprised about the unstated looks.

2) No bloatware - Basically comes with Windows 10 and standard device drivers

3) Service - This is the main reason I love these boys. They have a very good service culture in my experience such as offering free clean up (i.e. opening up and cleaning the heat vents etc) and clean installs. In fact, they helped me do a fresh install so that I can sell my previous laptop to someone else. (I can do it myself but they saved me time and effort because I just need to drop it off and pick it up later)

And of course, it's nice to support local :smile:

grimm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Technology & Gadgets