Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Recommendation for DSLR camera

Thinking of upgrading your handphone or PC again? Trying to manage your children's use of technology? Come and share your experiences!

Recommendation for DSLR camera

Postby Snow24 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:18 am

Hi

Any recommendations for DSLR camera for 7 years old child interested in photography.

Thanks.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Recommendation for DSLR camera

Postby Zappy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 am

Shouldn't get the mid or high range ones since it may be too big/ heavy/ expensive for a 7 yr old.

I'd say go for a 2nd hand one (you can get it off clubsnap) or if you want something new, then the entry level cameras from Nikon (D3400) or Canon (EOS 1300D).

At this stage, it's more like a toy and to figure out the basics of photography, so you likely won't be buying big heavy lenses anyway. So you don't need the low F-stop lenses etc. The entry level cameras should come with a kit lens.

Zappy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby floppy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:30 am

I wouldn't even suggest a low end DSLR. Stick with an old point-and-shoot or iPhone.

It's a fallacy to think that you can only learn more about photography using a DSLR camera. Most of the practical rules, principles, ideas etc are not dependent on the equipment. A 7 year old is unlikely to stretch the limits of any camera, let alone a DSLR. Most likely, he / she will end up shooting on the normal setting most of the time, which defeats the idea of having a DSLR in the first place.

Furthermore, a DSLR camera, no matter how low end, is still heavy for a 7 year old if shooting for a prolong period. Instead of encouraging him / her to shoot more, it's could end up discouraging him / her from carrying the equipment (resulting in less photos taken).

Also, low end DSLR is typically made of cheaper plastic that is unlikely to last from the kind of handling expected from a 7 year old. On the other hand, a mid / high end DSLR isn't going to come cheap.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 pm

if really really really want a DSLR, suggest consider a mirrorless, which is much smaller and lighter

tankee
Site Admin

Postby bryanthinkinghearts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi Snow24,

I'm an avid photographer by hobby, and have been dabbling with photography for a few years now. I used to run a simple photography programme for less-privileged children during my University days.

To start off, especially with younger children, you can start with a simple point and shoot camera. Casio and Canon both have very good, inexpensive cameras that serve this purpose. The reason for this is because for children to pick up photography, you should start with them learning simple rules like composition (rule of thirds, etc), framing...it's about getting children to learn about what's important and what's unique to go into their picture, their product. It's also about getting into the "best positions" to take the photo - it's not very straightforward for children to know where to stand, where to position themselves to capture a particular photo. Thus, it comes from experience. Talk to your child and ask what he/she would like to capture, and focus on that. Then, slowly build up his/her interest in photography. It becomes great fun!

Feel free to contact me if you require any further clarification!

Best,
Bryan

bryanthinkinghearts
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Zappy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 am

Zappy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Technology & Gadgets

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres