February 2019 Topic: Ideas for Family Bonding

We are starting this Monthly Forum to stimulate discussion and throw up novel ideas you can use. Write in with your best ideas and you stand to win some attractive prizes.
KiasuMod
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:3

February 2019 Topic: Ideas for Family Bonding

Post by KiasuMod » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:43 am

Assuming you don’t have enough annual leave to bring the family on an overseas holiday, what are some of the things you can do, or places you can go, to bond as a family within Singapore? Describe them in some details. Post your comments by 24 February 2019

We have 3 prizes to give away, each comprising 4 entry tickets to Boulder World http://boulderworld.com/about/

Sportscar88
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: February 2019 Topic: Ideas for Family Bonding

Post by Sportscar88 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 pm

KiasuMod wrote:Assuming you don’t have enough annual leave to bring the family on an overseas holiday, what are some of the things you can do, or places you can go, to bond as a family within Singapore? Describe them in some details. Post your comments by 24 February 2019

We have 3 prizes to give away, each comprising 4 entry tickets to Boulder World http://boulderworld.com/about/
Interesting!

KiasuMod
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: HAVE YOUR SAY !!! - New Contest Starting February 2019

Post by KiasuMod » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Share your ideas Sportscar88. Our intention is to liven up the conversation on the Forum and throw up interesting ideas we can all use.

marveille
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:1

Post by marveille » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:58 am

I had my first experience volunteering with my children recently. Just before CNY, we went to rental flat to distribute goodies.
It turns out to be more meaningful than I expected it to be. The initial concern of physical fatigue and if the children will be able to engage positively throughout the process proves to be unnecessary. This is a better real life classroom as my child are able to relate to real issues. There are many meaningful volunteer organisation that are suitable for family bonding.

Carol222
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Carol222 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:59 pm

My husband and children are quite active and we like to explore the unbeaten tracks. You'll be surprised at the things to discover in Singapore. Our recent treks include Pulau Ubin, Sungai Buloh and Hort Park. Most of the week is spent in an urban setting, so it's refreshing to immerse ourselves in nature for a while. It is nice to realise the cultural and bio-diversity we have in Singapore. If I have it my way, I'd do this every week. But some weekends some of our family members have their own thing, so we have our family treks usually once or twice a month.

KiasuMod
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by KiasuMod » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:00 pm

We have eleven days more to go before this competition closes. Please post your ideas for family bonding before 24 February for a chance to win Boulder World entry tickets.

preciouz
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by preciouz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:30 am

My family ensure to top up on outdoor time on weekends to keep myopia at bay. We like to visit all the natural and free parks upkeep by national park board.Recently we hike up Bukit timah hill with the 4 kids and it was a lovely achievement to reach the summit. Other time, we will go to Labrabor Park, Botanic Gardens etc and we continue to explore all the free and beautiful natural parks we have in our country!

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by zac's mum » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 am

My family likes to hangout at the Singapore Sports Hub. Our best bonding activity there is cycling/scooting/rollerblading/jogging around the 100-Plus track which goes around the perimeter of the National Stadium (above the spectator stands). It’s not only sheltered from the rain, it’s also shaded from the hot sun. Pity it’s so underutilized. There’s ample parking and it’s linked to the MRT.

Sports Hub is very family-friendly. There’s a free water playground at the rooftop, and a dry playground as well (above indoor stadium). There’s a free library and a free museum (both sports-themed) that are air conditioned. And plenty of outdoor space along the Kallang River for you to explore.

There’s plenty of sport gear shops and dining options at the huge Kallang Wave Mall downstairs, and a huge well-stocked supermarket (they even sell toddler books and toys!) So even the extended family can come here and enjoy a full day out and get everything done at one place.

For those who are keen on watching the sporting events, sometimes there will even be free tickets for the public, eg we have brought the kids to watch the SEA Games and the Paralympic Games when Singapore was hosting, the FINA World Swimming Championships (the pool is first-class btw) and also a public beach volleyball competition. Plus various carnivals for kids held at the main open space.

I am a bit reluctant to disclose this hidden gem to the wider public (I value the fact that it’s still relatively free of crowds), but I really do think it’s a fantastic family venue.

robert_sim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by robert_sim » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:13 pm

We can go camping and enjoy the big outdoors in Singapore! Our choice of location will be Changi Beach, where we can also do plane-spotting! In fact, we can even upgrade to doing glamping, bring our floor mats and soft rugs, cushions, fairy lights, mini IKEA tealight candle lanterns. We'll do an evening BBQ on the first night and a picnic breakfast the next day. After the BBQ, we will also get a bit adventurous and go for a night hike with our torches to explore the Changi Beach area. And of course, we will also bring along our favourite card games, as well as scooters and bicycles. This will be our first time camping in Singapore and I am sure we will all enjoy it tremendously. :imcool:

cmeilim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by cmeilim » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:01 am

My family, together with our kids, has been helping out with the food hamper delivery every Dec for the past five years with the Boys Brigade Share-A-Gift donation drive. Now that our kids are older and stronger (our oldest three are now 6, 8 and 10yrs), we think we are finally ready to help out with Willing Hearts every weekend, to do food ingredients preps, cooking, food packing, lunchbox labelling, delivery etc. It will make a very meaningful way of family bonding, to put in hands-on effort and time to serve others as a family.