Kids knowing their dialects. What is your take?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Anfield
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Kids knowing their dialects. What is your take?

Post by Anfield » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:31 pm

As it is, children here can barely even speak one language.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by TheAnswer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:11 pm

lee_yl wrote:
sleepy wrote:
MyPillow wrote: we are teochew too . Teochew ah nia !!!
:hi5: :lol:
:grphug:

One more here :imanisland:
I am also teochew.. hubby hainanese.. I m fluent in hainanese but half past 6 in teochew.. understand but cannot speak well..

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:19 pm

sleepy wrote:Dh and I are teochew. We converse in teochew when we didn't want kids to understand our conversation or simply to irritate them :evil: because they do not understand wah
:hi5:
son picked up Cantonese through listening...daughter is clueless. I would have thought daughter would pick up dialect faster than son. turned out this girl has language impairment...her one and only language is English now.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:42

Post by MrsKiasu » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:28 pm

janet88 wrote:
sleepy wrote:Dh and I are teochew. We converse in teochew when we didn't want kids to understand our conversation or simply to irritate them :evil: because they do not understand wah
:hi5:
son picked up Cantonese through listening...daughter is clueless. I would have thought daughter would pick up dialect faster than son. turned out this girl has language impairment...her one and only language is English now.
Janet, just curious...if someone has language impairment, can he or she attain a "near perfect" level for a language? If can grasp only one language, have option to choose which language to master? or depend on which spoken language he or she first came in touch with?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:32 pm

Her mandarin is gone case...English fared much better during the language assessment done at NUH. As the medium used for math and science in our schools is English, she is exempted from mandarin because she just cannot grasp.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:42

Post by MrsKiasu » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:37 pm

janet88 wrote:Her mandarin is gone case...English fared much better during the language assessment done at NUH. As the medium used for math and science in our schools is English, she is exempted from mandarin because she just cannot grasp.
Good thing your dd got the exemption else this little girl will get so much stress..

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:46 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:
janet88 wrote:Her mandarin is gone case...English fared much better during the language assessment done at NUH. As the medium used for math and science in our schools is English, she is exempted from mandarin because she just cannot grasp.
Good thing your dd got the exemption else this little girl will get so much stress..
Before the exemption came, we were spending so much time on that subject. Hubby kept asking me to allocate time for him to coach math and science.

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by CatMoon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Just sharing:
I grew up during those "jiang hua yu" campaign days and even though both my parents were peranakan, the school did not allow me to learn Malay in school (even after parents wrote letter to MOE). It was very tough to learn Mandarin in school. I "suffered" until after my A-levels. In school, I was told that "Chinese must speak Chinese" and as a young kid, I grew up feeling embarrassed about speaking Baba Malayu with my grandparents and elderly relatives. As an introvert teenager, I felt neither here nor there and eventually stopped speaking the language.

Funny thing was, my Mandarin improved after parenthood and teaching both my kids the subject. I'm so pleased that my ds is taking HCL in school.

Now that I'm in my 40s, I feel as if I've lost something and wonder if my kids would have miss out too.

clearjade
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by clearjade » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:42 pm

CatMoon, I grew up similar circumstances as you. My parents spoke Malay when they did not want us to understand what they were saying and used English to communicate with us kids. In school had to take Mandarin because we are classified as Chinese but no one in the family could teach us so we started Mandarin tuition in primary school just to pass the subject. Mandarin lessons were stressful as teachers were hostile & would jeer at us saying we are Chinese how come don't know Mandarin. Really felt angry & discouraged as a kid in primary school being singled out in front of the class every time and my parents just left it to the school system to handle so my relationship with Mandarin was terrible.

Now, my in-laws speak Hokkien & Mandarin, very little English. My hubby teaches my son Mandarin & some Hokkien. I speak English & a tiny bit of Malay to him also. So far his strongest language is English followed by Mandarin. Hope to keep the learning process positive for him so that he will pick up as many languages as he can while grandparents are still around.

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by CatMoon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi clearjade,

Thanks so much for sharing! :cool: Yah, I remembered those horrible days when my laoshi kept picking on me, made me stand up on the chair and the other girls laughing. So terrible!

When I taught my kids Mandarin when they were younger, I never told them my horrible days. I think children learn languages best when they have positive re-enforcement. My dd ended up picking up Malay from my neighbour!