sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Re: Another by election

Post by sushi88 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:56 pm

3Boys wrote:
sushi88 wrote:
3Boys wrote: Kind of patronising for people to hurl insults at PAP voters as being simpletons, don't you think? Perhaps the 30% need to do a bit of soul searching themselves? So far I've not seen a single convincing argument as to why it's better to cast a vote for the oppies.
Agree. People still go coffee shops and internet to discuss the value proposition from each side before casting the vote. Eversince oppies have made a headway into the parliament, people are open to having oppies in there as voices especially via a by election that would not overthrow a government. So the chance is pretty much 50-50 unless CSJ does or says something wrongly.
What is irksome to me is the use of the term "the 70%" as if these are blind and deaf morons who don't know better and have somehow been fooled by the ruling party.

What I see, is some form of vague discontent in the 30%, sometimes stemming from a lack of the broader view of matters and perhaps some self-centredness thrown in.

What I want is a strong competent government that moves society as a whole forwards. It may mean, depending on where you are in the social continuum, that you win on some issues and lose on others. But you take it as a whole offering and not cherry pick the stuff you are unhappy about without giving credit or taking for granted the things that do work for you.
In the current information age and world, it is harder for 70% of people not to be well-informed. So saying they are blindly voting is highly improbable as they have info. However, for the 30% who also shares the same information and yet can come to a different conclusion, it is easier to say that they process the info differently. This is the logic of matter so I am with you on this.

The second part I also agree with you in general except that in a by-election, one opposition candidate is supposedly not going to change the government so as a voice to discuss controversial issues, I am fine with it. However, it must be an appropriate voice. Now is for the BB residents to decide if this voice is one who can help us or cause us more pain in the parliament. I think at the BB level, the candidates need to be evaluated based on their own merits instead of looking at political party. Just my 2 cents since I cannot vote there.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:11 pm

Look, despite we know this and that, right and left, he will win.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Post by sushi88 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:17 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:Look, despite we know this and that, right and left, he will win.
Who will win? Why so sure? I don't know the BB residents well. I think it is still 50-50 chance.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:19 pm

sushi88 wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:Look, despite we know this and that, right and left, he will win.
Who will win? Why so sure? I don't know the BB residents well. I think it is still 50-50 chance.
Yes, I do hope it will be a gd & exciting fight.
The other has historical burden although I see no harm giving him a chance.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:183

Post by floppy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:42 pm

sushi88 wrote:
3Boys wrote: What is irksome to me is the use of the term "the 70%" as if these are blind and deaf morons who don't know better and have somehow been fooled by the ruling party.

What I see, is some form of vague discontent in the 30%, sometimes stemming from a lack of the broader view of matters and perhaps some self-centredness thrown in.

What I want is a strong competent government that moves society as a whole forwards. It may mean, depending on where you are in the social continuum, that you win on some issues and lose on others. But you take it as a whole offering and not cherry pick the stuff you are unhappy about without giving credit or taking for granted the things that do work for you.
In the current information age and world, it is harder for 70% of people not to be well-informed. So saying they are blindly voting is highly improbable as they have info. However, for the 30% who also shares the same information and yet can come to a different conclusion, it is easier to say that they process the info differently. This is the logic of matter so I am with you on this.

The second part I also agree with you in general except that in a by-election, one opposition candidate is supposedly not going to change the government so as a voice to discuss controversial issues, I am fine with it. However, it must be an appropriate voice. Now is for the BB residents to decide if this voice is one who can help us or cause us more pain in the parliament. I think at the BB level, the candidates need to be evaluated based on their own merits instead of looking at political party. Just my 2 cents since I cannot vote there.
Losers must always find someone to blame. That's how the world revolves. Given that the 30% is emotionally attached/involved with their candidate of choice, the easier thing to do when the candidate don't win is to blame the other side.

That say, I find this 70/30 term dumb and meaningless. When presented with the option of two choices, you either pick the best of the two (or the lesser of the two evils). Given the uneven standards of some of these opposition candidates, it's not difficult to understand why someone sympathetic to the opposition cause will choose to cast his/her vote the other way. The two best parties in getting their act together are represented in the current Parliament and it shouldn't be difficult to see why. It makes little sense to vote for someone like HHH or a party like RP simply because I don't like the PAP.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:108

Post by limlim » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:27 am

3Boys wrote:
limlim wrote:
rains wrote:
And I belong to the camp that believes even if the PAP candidate has the word 'lao tee ko' tattooed on his forehead, the majority of the residents will still vote for him.
*Like*
Kind of patronising for people to hurl insults at PAP voters as being simpletons, don't you think? Perhaps the 30% need to do a bit of soul searching themselves? So far I've not seen a single convincing argument as to why it's better to cast a vote for the oppies.
Buying the brand mah..

Just like apple come up with what "new" product, the 6SE? it's essentially a iP5. Having it is like "OLD DESIGN" printed on the product. But hey, it's from apple.. so you cannot deny that some pple go for the branding mah.. :evil:

And these pple will come and tell you that there is no one convincing reason to buy a samsung.

The reason why you fell for apple could be the reason why you will not accept a samsung even the design could be better. (will you buy a xiaomi note? it is smaller than iP6S+ but carries a bigger screen and the camera does not protrude. But well, pple will tell you, these doesn't matter, they liked apple design better. even thou in terms of design apple already lost to xiaomi on the 2 aspects mentioned)

Apple fans will tell you, putting lao tiko on the surface is no problem.. what matters is inside is apple.. oops.. I meant, inside got substance.. if its from apple it must be got substance.. :evil:

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by raysusan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:43 am

When will rally start?

Interested to see what csj say

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by jetsetter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:16 am

raysusan wrote:When will rally start?

Interested to see what csj say
no one booked tonight's slot.

Overheard: SDP might book Fri (tomorrow)

PAP not sure want to book or not, but c.f. past practices, ruling party held theirs after opposition's rallies.

The field along Bukit Batok Industrial Park A and the Bukit Gombak Stadium have been named as rally sites for election meetings, announced the police on Wednesday (Apr 27).

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:32 am

limlim wrote:
Apple fans will tell you, putting lao tiko on the surface is no problem.. what matters is inside is apple.. oops.. I meant, inside got substance.. if its from apple it must be got substance.. :evil:

What matters is the inside of the red apple? :evil:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by jetsetter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:35 am

3Boys wrote:
What I want is a strong competent government that moves society as a whole forwards.

It may mean, depending on where you are in the social continuum, that you win on some issues and lose on others.

But you take it as a whole offering and not cherry pick the stuff you are unhappy about without giving credit or taking for granted the things that do work for you.
So true!