fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Academic support for Primary 5
janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Re: fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Post by janet88 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:28 am

shinpai wrote:Generally, what is considered a good score in P4 and P5? I assume P5 and P6 should be about the same, should not have drastic change.
My DD is only P4 and her results dropped a lot in SA1 too. The drop in P4 is almost unheard of so I am also very worried.
P4 to p5 is a big gap as there is subject difficulty. Math and science would be more difficult as syllabus is different from lower/mid primary...teachers also mark stricter to give the kids a feel of PSLE standard. If schools set tough papers, kids will find themselves struggling during p5. For p5, on top of having to face upper block science, the students are also tested lower block as well.

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:21

Post by ilovelaksa » Sat May 28, 2016 3:08 am

shinpai wrote:Generally, what is considered a good score in P4 and P5? I assume P5 and P6 should be about the same, should not have drastic change.
My DD is only P4 and her results dropped a lot in SA1 too. The drop in P4 is almost unheard of so I am also very worried.
All children's abilities are different. Can't use a score gauge them. Better to see the effort they put in.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:324

Post by ChiefKiasu » Sat May 28, 2016 12:28 pm

ilovelaksa wrote:All children's abilities are different. Can't use a score gauge them. Better to see the effort they put in.
Unfortunately that is not how things work in life. I've yet to meet a boss who would tell his employees that it is ok to fail as long as they have done their best... :lol:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by kitty2 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:15 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
ilovelaksa wrote:All children's abilities are different. Can't use a score gauge them. Better to see the effort they put in.
Unfortunately that is not how things work in life. I've yet to meet a boss who would tell his employees that it is ok to fail as long as they have done their best... :lol:
:goodpost:

sunshine2005
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by sunshine2005 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:47 pm

My dd result dropped by 10% but her cohort seems ok. Only science sge maintained 80plus rest all 70 n maths 64.... helppppppp

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:16 pm

sunshine2005 wrote:My dd result dropped by 10% but her cohort seems ok. Only science sge maintained 80plus rest all 70 n maths 64.... helppppppp

It's very normal and ok for grades to drop in Pri 5. At the end of the year, it will pick up again.

Just continue to put in consistent efforts n work on the weak topics especially for Maths.

jkids
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by jkids » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:14 pm

I hope my ds will pick up by end of d yr

Jellyleem
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Jellyleem » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:13 am

jkids wrote:Hi

Isit normal for results to drastically b
fr p4 to p5? My ds juz got back his sa1 resutlts. Overall dropped by 7%.

Sci n math maintained. But His languages are worst.. fr p4 to p5 .. eng and chinese both dropped by 15%. Faint! Should i b very worried?
I can fathom the drop but what if kid is within all 60% range ? Terrible?

p0o9i8
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by p0o9i8 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:43 am

HI, my boy is in an avg pri school, avg class, he scored 74.5 overall for his finals.
Chinese 65.5
Maths 73
Eng 84.5
Sci 80
WIth these results he is placed 34/41, this led me to think either the paper is too easy or everyone in class are 75 percentile and above. I am worried with such results, he may struggle with PSLE and go to normal stream.
Thing is, in my era, bottom percentile meant avg scores of 50s to 60s.. nowadays 75 percentil wiill still get you bottom ranks :(

Zorromom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Zorromom » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:12 pm

I've heard of the scary drop...my girl will be P5 next yr...now I'm already preparing her. Can call me Kia-Si!