Q&A - PSLE Math

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
Locked
sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Sep 26,
Total Likes:163

Re: Q&A - PSLE Math

Post by sushi88 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:17 pm

Leah_ wrote:Hi! Need help with this qns. Thanks!

Peter had some $2 notes and $5 notes. He spent 50% of the $2 notes and 3/5 of his $5 notes. The value of the $2 notes left was the same as the value of the $5 notes left. The difference between the value of the $2 notes and the value of the $5 notes he had at first was $45. How much did Peter have at first?

An alternative solution:

<---$-left----><----$-spent-------->
---<--50%-->
$2 (----2u----)(------2u-----)<-45-> <----$45 is the difference at first
$5 (--u--)(-u-)(--u--)(--u---)(--u---)
----<-- 2/5--><--------3/5--------->

Hence u-> 45
Peter has 9u at first => 9x45 = $405

Nickal
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 18,

Re: Q&A - PSLE Math

Post by Nickal » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi, anyone can help? Tks in advance.

The ratio of the number of Larry's marbles to the number of John's marbles was 3:5. In a game with their friends, Larry won 15 marbles while John lost 3 marbles. They both then had the same number of marbles. How many marbles did both boys have altogether before the game?

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Sep 26,
Total Likes:163

Re: Q&A - PSLE Math

Post by sushi88 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 pm

Nickal wrote:Hi, anyone can help? Tks in advance.

The ratio of the number of Larry's marbles to the number of John's marbles was 3:5. In a game with their friends, Larry won 15 marbles while John lost 3 marbles. They both then had the same number of marbles. How many marbles did both boys have altogether before the game?
Time--------Larry----John
Before--------3u-------5u
After--------3u+15-----5u-3

3u+15=5u-3
2u=18
u=9
Before total is 8u..Hence 8x9=72 marbles

Nickal
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 18,

Re: Q&A - PSLE Math

Post by Nickal » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:42 pm

That's a great help! Tq!

ninjamathtv
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 19,

Re: Q&A - PSLE Math

Post by ninjamathtv » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:04 pm

Nickal wrote:Hi, anyone can help? Tks in advance.

The ratio of the number of Larry's marbles to the number of John's marbles was 3:5. In a game with their friends, Larry won 15 marbles while John lost 3 marbles. They both then had the same number of marbles. How many marbles did both boys have altogether before the game?
To make this question easier to understand, you can draw bar models like the video below:

[/youtube]


Dr.Ta
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Apr 01,
Total Likes:1

Re: Q&A - PSLE Math

Post by Dr.Ta » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:11 pm

BigDevil wrote:vvv
A: 1696145
Subject: {Math}
Level: {P6}
Tags: {Speed}
Source: {}
^^^
belnanna wrote:Image
Image

At 24min(o.4hr), Peter reached. meaning dave covered 2km lesser in 0.4hr.

therefore distance between town a n b = 0.4 x 70 + 2=30km

Peter speed = 30/0.4 hr = 75km/h

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Apr 26,
Total Likes:10

Re: Q&A - PSLE Math

Post by Ender » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Dr.Ta wrote:
BigDevil wrote:vvv
A: 1696145
Subject: {Math}
Level: {P6}
Tags: {Speed}
Source: {}
^^^
belnanna wrote:Image
Image

At 24min(o.4hr), Peter reached. meaning dave covered 2km lesser in 0.4hr.

therefore distance between town a n b = 0.4 x 70 + 2=30km

Peter speed = 30/0.4 hr = 75km/h
Your solution completely ignore the "6 minutes after they pass each other". If you considered this information, the whole question is flawed.

peggy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Nov 26,

Re: Q&A - PSLE Math

Post by peggy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Kindly assist with this :

At a fun-raising event, 60% of the people were male and the rest were female. 20% of the female left the event in the afternoon.
In the evening, after 33 male and 35 female left the event, 75% of the people at the event were male.
a) What percentage of the people left the event in the afternoon ?
b) How many people were there at the start of the fun raising event ?

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Apr 26,
Total Likes:10

Re: Q&A - PSLE Math

Post by Ender » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:05 pm

peggy wrote:Kindly assist with this :

At a fun-raising event, 60% of the people were male and the rest were female. 20% of the female left the event in the afternoon.
In the evening, after 33 male and 35 female left the event, 75% of the people at the event were male.
a) What percentage of the people left the event in the afternoon ?
b) How many people were there at the start of the fun raising event ?
It has been answered before.
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 7#p1703327
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 6#p1682926

lynn01sg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu May 07,

Re: Q&A - PSLE Math

Post by lynn01sg » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Pls help:

Raina saves her allowance by putting a note into her money box each week. Each note was either a $2 note or a $5 note. Her father also puts in a $10 note every 30 days. The total amount she collected after 365 days was $278. How many of the notes were $5 notes?

Locked