Travel: China - Hong Kong

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
siling
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Re: Travel: China - Hong Kong

Post by siling » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:30 am

A lot of fun in HK, shopping, food, trekking, Disneyland and ocean park!

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:116

Travelling to Hong Kong during CNY

Post by rains » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi,

I am toying with the idea of flying to Hong Kong for this year's CNY. However, as Hong Kongers are also Chinese, I am worried that the shops would be closed and we would be as bored as we would have been if we had stayed in Singapore.

Has anyone been to Hong Kong during CNY and could advise on the feasibility of this idea?

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Travelling to Hong Kong during CNY

Post by MyBaby » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:55 am

Hi rains,
I was in HK during CNY with my family in 2012 and 2014. During the days before first day of CNY, the shops have extended shopping hours (even up to midnight) and all eateries are opened. On CNY Eve, we arranged to have reunion dinner at restaurants in hotels and visited the flower market in Victoria Park [very very crowded].

On first day of CNY, most shops, especially those in shopping malls are open by noon time. We visited the 10,000 buddha in one year and Wong Tai Sin Temple [very crowded but good crowd control] in the other year in the morning followed by lunch and shopping.

Most local eateries (cha chang tang) are closed but fast food chains (MacDonalds, Starbucks etc) and restaurants in hotels are opened during CNY. Some 'popular eateries' will be closed on CNY Day 1 and 2 and we didn't visit the outlying islands - just used the MTR and trams to travel in HK Island and Kowloon.

There is a night parade one CNY Day 1 [went only in 2012] and fireworks display on CNY Day 2 [went in 2014]. You can check out schedule and location at
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/seasia/ ... ations.jsp

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:116

Re: Travelling to Hong Kong during CNY

Post by rains » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 am

Thank you for taking the time to share, MyBaby.

Eating at fastfood joints and Starbucks during CNY seems a little sad but the other activities seem interesting. Will take time to deliberate over this. Thanks again!

dash88
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by dash88 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:50 am

Free Hong Kong Tour
http://www.hongkongfreetours.com/

There is a story behind each place we set foot on, each person we met, and each culture we experienced. We are the locals in Hong Kong to share our Hong Kong stories with you.
The idea of Hong Kong Free Tours is to bring you the best Hong Kong tour experience without the financial support of any business or governmental involvement. Therefore you can enjoy your visit without any bias.

archcherub
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by archcherub » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 pm

did anyone tried buying manuka honey from them?
thinking of ordering comvita umf 15+ to my hotel room since I will be in hong kong for 6 days.
just wonder if they will be slow.... if delivery more than 6 days, i jialat liao.

http://honeycity.hk/zh/

mummybee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Hotel near TST mtr

Post by mummybee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 am

Going to Hong Kong in June, shortlisted the following hotels:

Holiday Inn Golden Mile
Prince marco Polo
Gateway Marco Polo

Any comments or advice, or any recommendation for hotel with room that can fit 2A 2C, below SGD400 per night?
Looking for one which is linked to or short walking distance from TST MTR exit.
Thanks!

mummybee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Hotel near TST mtr

Post by mummybee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 am

Going to Hong Kong in June, shortlisted the following hotels:

Holiday Inn Golden Mile
Prince marco Polo
Gateway Marco Polo

Any comments or advice, or any recommendation for hotel with room that can fit 2A 2C, below SGD400 per night?
Thanks!

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:161

Re: Hotel near TST mtr

Post by floppy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:37 am

mummybee wrote:Going to Hong Kong in June, shortlisted the following hotels:

Holiday Inn Golden Mile
Prince marco Polo
Gateway Marco Polo

Thanks!
I'll be heading to Holiday Inn Golden Mile in a couple of weeks time. Wait for my review :wink: It's definitely under SGD400 if you book on their website. Max occupants as per their website is 2A 2C (two queen bed in a room). Definitely a very short walk from Tsim Sha Tsui MRT.

mummybee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Hotel near TST mtr

Post by mummybee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:39 am

floppy wrote:
mummybee wrote:Going to Hong Kong in June, shortlisted the following hotels:

Holiday Inn Golden Mile
Prince marco Polo
Gateway Marco Polo

Thanks!
I'll be heading to Holiday Inn Golden Mile in a couple of weeks time. Wait for my review :wink: It's definitely under SGD400 if you book on their website. Max occupants as per their website is 2A 2C (two queen bed in a room). Definitely a very short walk from Tsim Sha Tsui MRT.
:thankyou:
Holiday Inn excellent location but rooms look quite old?