JC or Poly?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
Post Reply
masteryourmath
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 24,

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Post by masteryourmath » Fri May 05, 2017 1:58 pm

jtoh wrote:
Childrenisablessing wrote:
jtoh wrote:
I agree with slmkhoo. You just need to pass MT at D7 to go to local uni. GP is as much content and logical thought as language. If she prefers an academic path and is interested in the sciences and maths, JC should be ok. Just don't go for subjects like Lit, ELL, history...
i m not familiar with JC stuff..meaning in JC we also get to chose the subject combination?
GP and PW are compulsory. Both of these are H1 subjects. MT is compulsory but you would clear this by end J1.

You need to select 4 core subjects, which have to be a combination of Science and Arts subjects. So you can choose to do 3 Science + 1 Arts subject, 2 Sci + 2 Arts, or 3 Arts and 1 Science. These are the most important subjects as they comprise a larger share of the UAS calculations. Your kid's school will brief them on the subject combinations for them to consider at a later date.
I like to also add on that your child can either choose 3H2s + 1 H1 or 4H2s. H2s are considered the "higher level" so it is generally encouraged for students to take 4 H2s if they can cope.

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 18,

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Post by Childrenisablessing » Mon May 08, 2017 1:55 pm

jtoh wrote:
Childrenisablessing wrote:
jtoh wrote:
I agree with slmkhoo. You just need to pass MT at D7 to go to local uni. GP is as much content and logical thought as language. If she prefers an academic path and is interested in the sciences and maths, JC should be ok. Just don't go for subjects like Lit, ELL, history...
i m not familiar with JC stuff..meaning in JC we also get to chose the subject combination?
GP and PW are compulsory. Both of these are H1 subjects. MT is compulsory but you would clear this by end J1.

You need to select 4 core subjects, which have to be a combination of Science and Arts subjects. So you can choose to do 3 Science + 1 Arts subject, 2 Sci + 2 Arts, or 3 Arts and 1 Science. These are the most important subjects as they comprise a larger share of the UAS calculations. Your kid's school will brief them on the subject combinations for them to consider at a later date.
thanks, may i ask what is PW?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 11302
Joined: Mon Mar 22,
Total Likes:99

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Post by jtoh » Mon May 08, 2017 2:14 pm

PW = Project Work

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 18,

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Post by Childrenisablessing » Mon May 08, 2017 3:39 pm

jtoh wrote:PW = Project Work
thank you.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40600
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:127

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Post by janet88 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:20 pm

hi slmkhoo,
how is your daughter doing in RP?


slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 10991
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:197

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Post by slmkhoo » Tue May 09, 2017 7:22 am

janet88 wrote:hi slmkhoo,
how is your daughter doing in RP?
Fine. It's been basic stuff and she's managing, but it's a different set of people every class so not easy to make friends (she already finds it hard even in a stable classroom). But this week is her last week as she is withdrawing! She got into NTU Linguistics and we've decided that it is a better choice for her than Mass Comm. She's OK with it but is regretful that she has to start again at a new place. I am a bit afraid that she is going to find it tough, but it is a more suitable course for her. We decided she should withdraw now so we can help settle the withdrawal procedures and her computer before we go away in a couple of weeks. I will have to find something for her to do in Jun-Jul.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40600
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:127

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Post by janet88 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:07 am

slmkhoo wrote: She got into NTU Linguistics and we've decided that it is a better choice for her than Mass Comm. She's OK with it but is regretful that she has to start again at a new place. I am a bit afraid that she is going to find it tough, but it is a more suitable course for her. We decided she should withdraw now so we can help settle the withdrawal procedures and her computer before we go away in a couple of weeks. I will have to find something for her to do in Jun-Jul.
wow! that's wonderful. To be accepted into NTU means she would get a degree after 3 years.
congrats.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 10991
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:197

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Post by slmkhoo » Sun May 14, 2017 1:18 pm

janet88 wrote:
slmkhoo wrote: She got into NTU Linguistics and we've decided that it is a better choice for her than Mass Comm. She's OK with it but is regretful that she has to start again at a new place. I am a bit afraid that she is going to find it tough, but it is a more suitable course for her. We decided she should withdraw now so we can help settle the withdrawal procedures and her computer before we go away in a couple of weeks. I will have to find something for her to do in Jun-Jul.
wow! that's wonderful. To be accepted into NTU means she would get a degree after 3 years.
congrats.
Actually, this is a 4-yr course. And we are encouraging her to take it a bit slower so it may take 5yrs!

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1513
Joined: Tue Oct 28,
Total Likes:19

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Post by Imp75 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:11 am

Is NTU Linguistics part of NTU HSS faculty? Reviews about the faculty are not that great....compared to NUS FASS...

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40600
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:127

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Post by janet88 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:39 am

Imp75 wrote:Is NTU Linguistics part of NTU HSS faculty? Reviews about the faculty are not that great....compared to NUS FASS...
i think it is really a big achievement...furthermore it is NTU which is equally good.

slmkhoo,
if it has to be 5 years, then be it.
there's no point rushing through and not doing well...it is a big jump from poly course to a degree course.

Post Reply