Re: fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Post by jkids » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:19 pm

Thank you for your he advice. Yes he completed the exam paper on time

potter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by potter » Tue May 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Is this very common in P5? Is it true that results will improve in SA2? I am quite worried as the drop is v drastic for my child's case. Science maintained but big drop in languages n Maths.

mummyxoxo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mummyxoxo » Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 pm

potter wrote:Is this very common in P5? Is it true that results will improve in SA2? I am quite worried as the drop is v drastic for my child's case. Science maintained but big drop in languages n Maths.
Personally, I feel that it is very common. My dd's results drop by at least 20 marks from p4 to p5 (from 80+ to about 60). Give me a big shock in my life. I remember it is because the expectation in students is higher and the papers are tougher (e.g. more problem sums in Math, more comprehension qns in English, harder to score for compo etc etc). Another reason may be my dd had been very chillax and couldnt adapt in time. That's when i hire a tutor for her and thankfully, the results were showing improvement then.

potter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by potter » Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 am

mummyxoxo wrote:
Personally, I feel that it is very common. My dd's results drop by at least 20 marks from p4 to p5 (from 80+ to about 60). Give me a big shock in my life. I remember it is because the expectation in students is higher and the papers are tougher (e.g. more problem sums in Math, more comprehension qns in English, harder to score for compo etc etc). Another reason may be my dd had been very chillax and couldnt adapt in time. That's when i hire a tutor for her and thankfully, the results were showing improvement then.
Tnks for the reply mummyxoxo. Given that his school is now less supportive and really doing the minimum in terms of additional academic support, I already somehow mentally prepared for this kind of drop. However, did not expect to be so drastic. His HCL compo is only 5/40 and was told many students from top classes failed very badly too, single digit kind of marks. At the same time, I also do not wish to over-react by changing tuition centers or adding more tuitions etc.I really hope he will progress over the next few months.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:20

Post by laughingcat » Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Don't worry too much Potter. It is quite normal. Also the P5 markings rudiment are different from P4. P5 markings rudiment should be the same as P6.

Most important of all, understand the gap and weakness and work on it. Hopefully by SA2, the child should grasp the difference and manage it.

AppleCrumble
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by AppleCrumble » Wed May 17, 2017 3:44 pm

laughingcat wrote:Don't worry too much Potter. It is quite normal. Also the P5 markings rudiment are different from P4. P5 markings rudiment should be the same as P6.

Most important of all, understand the gap and weakness and work on it. Hopefully by SA2, the child should grasp the difference and manage it.
Kudos to you, laughingcat, to be able to assure Potter that it is normal to see a dip in results at P5 SA1. :hugs:

Guess my last year's warning to all P5 parents this year is working on you... :lol:

https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... 9&start=50

jkids
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by jkids » Wed May 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Laughing cat
U asked me a q some weeks ago in tis thread. I dun think iIhave replied u.

After changing to another tuition centre...his grades improve. N writing journals weekly seem to help. N their teacher would give them small rewards too.

puff
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by puff » Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 pm

:frustrated: My DD result also drop in p5 for all her subjects.
Her math drop 35%. Now we are in the panic mode :cry:
Hopefully she can pick up the grade by SA2. :xedfingers:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by laughingcat » Wed May 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Thank you jkids. :please: you have PM from me.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by laughingcat » Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Yes AppleCrumble......took your advice very seriously. :rahrah:

I try to be cool.....although my heart is now in jittery. Have not seen my boy's result yet but I believe I will stay cool.
Last edited by laughingcat on Wed May 17, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.