fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Academic support for Primary 5
laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:20

Re: fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Post by laughingcat » Wed May 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Puff, Jia you. :hugs: Go through the paper with your gal and ask her which portion is confusing or just careless.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 pm

puff wrote::frustrated: My DD result also drop in p5 for all her subjects.
Her math drop 35%. Now we are in the panic mode :cry:
Hopefully she can pick up the grade by SA2. :xedfingers:
the dip from p4 to p5 is HUGE...many parents who have gone through this will know.
my son had 84 for Math in p4 and but when he went to p5, he had only 20...and everyday, he couldn't even get homework done. not only that, english and science dropped drastically too.

paper 1 is about speed and accuracy. not easy. paper 2 word problems.
for parents who want kids to improve in math paper 1, please use a timer from now on. set 1.5 minutes for every question...if there is no confidence to get the question done, move on to the next. set the timer for 45 minutes, leaving 5 minutes to do questions which were skipped earlier.

potter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by potter » Wed May 17, 2017 10:54 pm

Thnk you people for all your sharing and kind words. Instead of punishing and nagging at him, I encouraged him to learn from the mistakes and move on. I m praying hard that he will gradually improve. Now I finally understand the change from p4 to p5.

As for HCL, I hope his sch will conduct extra lesson to help those students who failed badly... instead of getting them to drop the subject. Many of them are among the top students and if so many did so badly, something must have gone wrong terribly somewhere...

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 am

potter wrote:Thnk you people for all your sharing and kind words. Instead of punishing and nagging at him, I encouraged him to learn from the mistakes and move on. I m praying hard that he will gradually improve. Now I finally understand the change from p4 to p5.

As for HCL, I hope his sch will conduct extra lesson to help those students who failed badly... instead of getting them to drop the subject. Many of them are among the top students and if so many did so badly, something must have gone wrong terribly somewhere...
As for HCL, if the child is struggling with the other subjects, it may not be a bad idea to take standard Chinese. go through the papers and see which areas need help. June holidays is a great time to work on them.
Work on paper 1 for math...for accuracy. When the child is able to complete the paper, start to time him/her to get it done within 45 minutes, leave 5 minutes for checking.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:296

Post by phtthp » Thu May 18, 2017 9:03 am

potter wrote:Thnk you people for all your sharing and kind words. Instead of punishing and nagging at him, I encouraged him to learn from the mistakes and move on. I m praying hard that he will gradually improve. Now I finally understand the change from p4 to p5.

For Higher Chinese (HCL) :-
in P5, school normally conduct Supplementary lessons for HCL after school, on certain weekdays. This will help child in HCL preparation, for PSLE

AppleCrumble
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by AppleCrumble » Thu May 18, 2017 9:30 am

Potter, you are on the right track by encouraging your DS to learn from his mistakes and move on. This is a good opportunity to learn resilience when face with setbacks.

Any conscientious kid would feel :sad: :cry: when he realizes that he did not do well for his exams. So, instead of :spank: , it's a good opportunity for parents to show some support :rahrah: :snuggles: . Kids appreciate even more parent's support encouragement when they are in their lows.

Just sharing some personal observation, many schools are using P5 SA1 as a 'wake-up call' to the student AND parents by setting more challenging papers so that there is more focus and time to prepare for PSLE next year. On the other hand, it could also be that some students have yet to get use to the new format for P5/6 (which is quite different from P4).

The comforting thought is that things will improve at P5 SA2. It's the general trend.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 am

AppleCrumble wrote: Just sharing some personal observation, many schools are using P5 SA1 as a 'wake-up call' to the student AND parents by setting more challenging papers so that there is more focus and time to prepare for PSLE next year. On the other hand, it could also be that some students have yet to get use to the new format for P5/6 (which is quite different from P4).

The comforting thought is that things will improve at P5 SA2. It's the general trend.
it's a general trend that most kids will do badly for P5 CA1 and SA1.
I wouldn't say it is a wake up call though since they just entered a new stage ie upper primary.
the wake up call will come at P6 SA1 as these kids will be facing PSLE and if they had not been revising, then they will get a rude shock. So this holiday, please revise science lower block...from time to time at home, revise different themes like diversity, systems for example to reinforce as teachers will continue to teach upper block.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:296

Post by phtthp » Thu May 18, 2017 10:54 am

Yes, agree with Janet

Even at P4 SA1 : Science already getting very tough, compared to P3, because is such a heavy subject , in terms of content. And Section B Science (open-ended), some students already failed.

puff
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by puff » Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Thank you all for your encouragement.
Just dread this mid year meet -the - parents session. Hopefully the teachers will nothive any more stress to the parents.

potter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by potter » Thu May 18, 2017 6:19 pm

phtthp wrote:Yes, agree with Janet

Even at P4 SA1 : Science already getting very tough, compared to P3, because is such a heavy subject , in terms of content. And Section B Science (open-ended), some students already failed.
Yes, I totally agree that SC is getting increasingly tough even at P4. At P5 SA1, maybe I hv low expectation... i feel those who are able to get above 75% are already very good. OEQ are very challenging. Some MCQ questions are quite tricky too.