Re: GEP 2017 - Screening & Selection

Post by Premaraj » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks for the tips! Few of our kids on mc with bugs and need to retake paper

cafemug
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by cafemug » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Kiddo said both papers got 7 questions never do. Cos he didnt think theres an answer to that >o< i think he was prob too tired to think. Anyway he said both papers were difficult. First thing he told me when i picked him up was not to have too much hope that he will pass LOL!
I told him just try his best. Going to round 2 is already a bonus ;)
Many of his friends said papers were easy though...

goosiegoose
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by goosiegoose » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:45 pm

So looks like tmr's math then is the killer. Mine could complete both papers today

goosiegoose
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by goosiegoose » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Double post
Last edited by goosiegoose on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goosiegoose
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by goosiegoose » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Oh! there are kids taking the paper later? Same paper? Oops! Didn't know that.

We better not give too much away then! :sweat:

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 pm

- deleted-
Last edited by FantasyLandDreams on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by nms1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:46 pm

FantasyLandDreams wrote:Just sharing based on our experience last year. Of the 6 that were selected for GEP eventually from my child's class, it seems English and GAT were the determining factors. For maths, a lot of kids are already very advanced and well - prepared nowadays. The majority of the balance 14 who went for round 2 found English harder than maths. According to them, English is somewhat like pitched at sec 1 and sec 2 standard, while maths was like up to P6 and Primary Maths Olympiad standard and more manageable. I think it was also more because anything can come out under the sun for English and you can't really prepare for it. That's what I heard last year.
I think that makes sense. Although no-one is supposed to prepare for GEP, we know that it happens and maths is an areas which is easier to prepare and those who are strong in maths will probably be able to handle some of the questions even without practise. English is different and not as many parents put an emphasis on it.

My elder boy went through to round 2 last year but didn't get accepted. He is strong in maths and science (tests in gifted IQ range for both) so even though his English is still strong, that was probably what let him down. I am sure his younger brother got through to round 2 this year due to his English but I doubt it can outweigh his maths in round 2!

Looneytunes
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Looneytunes » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks much for the sharing! It’s indeed hard for us to guess what the gep people are looking for. Perhaps it also changes from year to year depending on what they feel is required from a ‘national perspective’.

My DD was initially rather interested in what the programme is about. But after going through the gat today, she felt that she will not get through. Let’s see what tmr holds. I just asked her to read her favourite murderous Maths series to mentally prepare herself for a tough day!

Macc0608
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Macc0608 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:02 pm

goosiegoose wrote:What was the feedbck from today's paper? Son said English was all vocab. Some he hadda guess. GA paper were all on logic and got quite abit on number puzzles. He remembered one qn. If superman is serving you in a restaurant. Then hero is to justice, then Superman is to...........? He chose service.
So it is true they took different papers. My DD did not recall seeing this question. It is either they really had different questions or she missed out this. I did ask her if she managed to finish the paper and she said she did.

darwinkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by darwinkoh » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Macc0608 wrote: So it is true they took different papers. My DD did not recall seeing this question. It is either they really had different questions or she missed out this. I did ask her if she managed to finish the paper and she said she did.
My DD neither as well. Heard someone mentioning that there are actually 8 sets of question papers..... But I wonder how are the GEP branch gonna set the benchmark if that's the case...