All About Taekwondo

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by sob7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:33 pm

VooVoo wrote:Anyone has any feedback on KTMA at Novena?
The instructors are mainly Korean, strict but patient with kids.Typically a class of 12 has 2-3 instructors, which is a good ratio.
Interaction between students and instructors is quite good and instructors are polite and approachable.
They have trial lessons for kids, you will have to call them to arrange.

Hope that helps

VooVoo
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by VooVoo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks!

ryka
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ryka » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Black belt 2 wrote:
darwinkoh wrote:
kiasu_pig wrote:DS#1 finally agreed to temporarily stop his Taekwondo and to pick up another martial art. After attaining poom belt after a 3.5 years journey and did the unarmed combat level 1 short course, he's learning judo now. Starting from white belt again, I could understand his initial reluctance and apprehensive. But he's enjoying it so far. Judo offers close contact self defence with techniques of throws, grapples and chokes are useful. Complement his earlier Taekwondo training.
Hi. Just wondering if your kid attain his poom belt... but stop for a few years to try another martial art. Just prior to him reaching 15 years old.. can he continued his poom belt and subsequently convert to dan belt upon reaching 15. Any guideline as to when the 'maximum' break time allow? Or will his poom be forfeited beyond a certain time? Thanks.
A piece of advice is that you should allow your kid to attain the highest poom belt possible before the age of 15 as black belt test will get much much tougher as compared to junior black belt test
When the child turn 15, they converted to black belt (Dan), will he converted from Dan 1 (regardless Poom 1/2/3 etc) or will it be equivalent to Poom level (e.g pool 2 to Dan 2)? Thanks

sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by sob7 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 am

Yes, the conversion is corresponding to the poom belt level.
If you look at the grading format the poom belt grading criteria is same as the black belt grading criteria.There is conversion fee to be made and also child has to be training with a stf club prior to conversion.

EasyTutorSG
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by EasyTutorSG » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:21 pm

darwinkoh wrote:
kiasu_pig wrote:DS#1 finally agreed to temporarily stop his Taekwondo and to pick up another martial art. After attaining poom belt after a 3.5 years journey and did the unarmed combat level 1 short course, he's learning judo now. Starting from white belt again, I could understand his initial reluctance and apprehensive. But he's enjoying it so far. Judo offers close contact self defence with techniques of throws, grapples and chokes are useful. Complement his earlier Taekwondo training.
Hi. Just wondering if your kid attain his poom belt... but stop for a few years to try another martial art. Just prior to him reaching 15 years old.. can he continued his poom belt and subsequently convert to dan belt upon reaching 15. Any guideline as to when the 'maximum' break time allow? Or will his poom be forfeited beyond a certain time? Thanks.
A piece of advice is that you should allow your kid to attain the highest poom belt possible before the age of 15 as black belt test will get much much tougher as compared to junior black belt test[/quote]

When the child turn 15, they converted to black belt (Dan), will he converted from Dan 1 (regardless Poom 1/2/3 etc) or will it be equivalent to Poom level (e.g pool 2 to Dan 2)? Thanks[/quote]

Hi, technically if Poom 3 will convert to Dan 3. However, the exact recognition will be from age 16 (Dan 1) , age 18 (Dan 2) , age21 (Dan 3) following the standard year gaps between Dans.

However, most students will go ahead to convert their belt directly (if Dan 3, 3 Gold bars). Most competitions do not require exact Dan grades.

At the higher competition levels, Dan poomsae are expected to know higher Dan poomsae as well. Depends on the competition.

EasyTutorSG
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by EasyTutorSG » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Apologies for the quote problems above

SashaL
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by SashaL » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:57 pm

Hi
I am looking for Taekwondo class for my girl. She was enrolled into Ildo and I would like to switch ctr. The current ctr insisted that she is ready for grading just after 2 lessons and she is in the young kids class. I dont get why grading is done just after 2 session and they seem to be sitting around and having fun more.
I really appreciate if someone could suggest a ctr in the west area like bt timah or bt batok. Thanks.

sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by sob7 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 pm

I would presume that she is a white belt since she started only for two lessons.
young kids classes are usually a bit more relax, as younger kids will not be able to focus 100% of the time.
There were some changes in grading for kids below 12, see below

Level Requirements
Foundation 1

‘Cha-ryeot’, ‘Kyeong-rye’ & ‘Joon-bi’

Fist formation

Twin downward block (Parallel stance)

Punches – middle (Parallel stance)

Belt tying

Foundation 2

Punches – high, middle & low (Parallel stance)

Twin downward block (Natural stance)

Forward stance – moving forward and backward (with or without the aid of movement lines

Bounce – clockwise and anti-clockwise (‘Kyorugi Joon-bi’ stance)

Foundation 3

Middle-section punch (Horse riding stance) – slow motion

Twin downward block (Natural stance) and middle-section punch

Raising kick (Natural stance)

4-direction stepping with the aid of movement lines (Natural stance)

So if your girl can do foundation 1, she is ready for grading :)

There are several TKD centers you can find in Bukit Timah and Bukit Batok area, you will have the CC run ones or the private centers.JK Kim or Trifecta at Turf City which are the private ones.I cannot say for the CCs

I have seen Ildo students and they are not too bad, so I wouldn't worry too much when they tell you your girl is ready.

SashaL
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by SashaL » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks sob7. Appreciate your input.
:rahrah:

NOAK
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by NOAK » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:21 pm

EasyTutorSG wrote:
darwinkoh wrote:
A piece of advice is that you should allow your kid to attain the highest poom belt possible before the age of 15 as black belt test will get much much tougher as compared to junior black belt test

When the child turn 15, they converted to black belt (Dan), will he converted from Dan 1 (regardless Poom 1/2/3 etc) or will it be equivalent to Poom level (e.g pool 2 to Dan 2)? Thanks

Hi, technically if Poom 3 will convert to Dan 3. However, the exact recognition will be from age 16 (Dan 1) , age 18 (Dan 2) , age21 (Dan 3) following the standard year gaps between Dans.

However, most students will go ahead to convert their belt directly (if Dan 3, 3 Gold bars). Most competitions do not require exact Dan grades.

At the higher competition levels, Dan poomsae are expected to know higher Dan poomsae as well. Depends on the competition.
The rule for conversion from poom to Dan Belt.
For example, a child taken his 4th poom grading before 15th years of age.
He will be able to convert as follow
1st Dan at the age of 15,
2nd Dan at the age of 16,
3rd Dan at the age of 18
4th Dan at the age of 21,

If the child did not convert from age 15, the conversion of 2nd Dan will only be able after one years of conversion to 1st Dan.

The belt level will remain the same. For all poom belt holders that conversion from poom to dan is automatic only if they continue training till they reach 15 years old. If they stop training after obtaining their grade, they will have to re-join the club and train for certain period depending on the instructor.