Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

O-Level Physics

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: O-Level Physics

Postby ilovegoodkopi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:43 am

kitty2 wrote:Ilovegoodkopi, thank you so much for sharing and your kindness , is there any 10 year series for this? :) . Are the questions predictable?

:thankyou:

Previously there weren't, but I thought I saw a practical exam past year papers assessment once.
(Not the SPA one)
There are some typical questions for some topics
Light - Lens, refraction through glass block (there was a year that tested on apparent depth, that was tough)
Electricity - usually potentiometer and use of sliding contact
General Physics - Moment, Pendulum, an object roll down a ramp.

The important thing is to read the question and instruction thoroughly during the exam. I have to emphasize this because even if the question/diagram looks similar. Student should never assume that it is the same exact question.
:smile:

ilovegoodkopi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kitty2 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:13 pm

ilovegoodkopi wrote:
kitty2 wrote:Ilovegoodkopi, thank you so much for sharing and your kindness , is there any 10 year series for this? :) . Are the questions predictable?

:thankyou:

Previously there weren't, but I thought I saw a practical exam past year papers assessment once.
(Not the SPA one)
There are some typical questions for some topics
Light - Lens, refraction through glass block (there was a year that tested on apparent depth, that was tough)
Electricity - usually potentiometer and use of sliding contact
General Physics - Moment, Pendulum, an object roll down a ramp.

The important thing is to read the question and instruction thoroughly during the exam. I have to emphasize this because even if the question/diagram looks similar. Student should never assume that it is the same exact question.
:smile:

:thankyou: I think by now , won't be able to find it at the bookstores :)

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dr.Daniel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:43 pm

I know it is exam time, but there are two things regarding scientific experiments that parents should make sure their children understand.

1. The highest grade on a practical assessment may be given to the student that makes the fewest mistakes, however the exact opposite is true in both scientific research and in life. Thomas Edison made a great many failed attempts at inventing the light bulb. But he learned from his mistakes and he was persistent. It was these two qualities that lead to his being one of the greatest inventors of all time. And in life also, we all make mistakes. But the ability to admit them, learn from them, grow from them, and move on, is what builds our character.

2. Most of the important discoveries in science have come from experiments that DID NOT turn out as planned. JJ Thomson saw charged particles (electrons) coming out of different metals, from copper to gold to lead. But these particles were identical. What a shocker! How could gold and lead be made up of identical things! So you don’t do an experiment in science to regurgitate a pre-determined result. You do an experiment with an open mind to see what is going to happen. Yes, it is good to be disciplined with good technique, and the practicals can be good for that. But the mindset of being open to recognize and pursue the unexpected is the mark of a good scientist. When I did experiments in my classes, it was the students who played around a bit and discovered something outside of the normal procedure of the experiment and asked – why does this happen? – they learned the most.

Sorry to go all philosophical at exam time, but these are some things to consider as important lessons for students to absorb when the pressure of exams is not imminent. Do what you need to do to get the best grade on the SPA, and learn how to be methodical from it. But don’t forget the other qualities of how to be a good scientist!

Dr.Daniel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby amizade » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:41 pm

seeking advice here. Do you think hiring a last minute tutor will help in my DS's O-level? I know it's a bit late, but results from prelim seems alarming

amizade
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mummyxoxo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:31 am

:pray:
amizade wrote:seeking advice here. Do you think hiring a last minute tutor will help in my DS's O-level? I know it's a bit late, but results from prelim seems alarming

Should be possible. My neighbour child got a tutor about one or two months before his O Level then. Managed to get B4 for his physics (from a failing grade I heard)

mummyxoxo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby yuki2010 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:56 am

mummyxoxo wrote::pray:
amizade wrote:seeking advice here. Do you think hiring a last minute tutor will help in my DS's O-level? I know it's a bit late, but results from prelim seems alarming

Should be possible. My neighbour child got a tutor about one or two months before his O Level then. Managed to get B4 for his physics (from a failing grade I heard)

Agree with you. Sometimes result of science subject could be improved significantly in a short period.

yuki2010
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby genevaong » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:58 pm

Agree that it is not too late to hire a tutor for your child. My daughter is in JC1 this year, and she took Pure Physics in Upper Sec. It was her weakest subject and she got F9s for Physics papers for every exam for the 2 years, including Prelims. She started Physics tuition in June, and for ‘O’ Levels, she attained a B4 for Physics and qualified for Science course in JC as she studies at Anderson JC now.

genevaong
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby rainmaker74447 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:25 pm

genevaong wrote:Agree that it is not too late to hire a tutor for your child. My daughter is in JC1 this year, and she took Pure Physics in Upper Sec. It was her weakest subject and she got F9s for Physics papers for every exam for the 2 years, including Prelims. She started Physics tuition in June, and for ‘O’ Levels, she attained a B4 for Physics and qualified for Science course in JC as she studies at Anderson JC now.

Harlo can you please PM me the contact for the physics tuition? My girl is oso same case to yours :slapshead:

rainmaker74447
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby proudfather » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:07 pm

im sending my kid to a physics tutor now for group tuition, the tutor seemed capable enough, hopefully he will help my kid

proudfather
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby xjinhx » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Hello does anyone have a cheap physics tutor to recommend? Please PM me thank you so much! :smile:

xjinhx
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres