All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:47

Re: 2021 P1 Registration Exercise for 2022 In-take

Post by Estéema » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:59 pm

Aztac wrote:
zac's mum wrote:
Aztac wrote:affiliation is of no effect to me because to get into a good secondary school depends on my kid's skill

To get into a good primary school depends on MY skills hahaha
Then that’s fine. So you can just ignore all those people who are advising u, no problem. Majority of primary schools in SG have no affiliation anyway.

Yep, Thanks! My nail biting starts in 2021 for 2022 intake. Next year need to consider the PV routes as well. I wonder if its the children or the parents who are entering primary school haha :lol:
Aztac,

You're very well prepared for 2022 intake to do PV or other routes.

Your children are going into Spore primary sch education, but you are the parent who nurture your child by navigating the complexity which a young child hv not developed the ability as yet. Imagine, when we grow old, they'll be the ones returning in kind navigating the new world for you.

All the very best dear. :love:

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:53

Re: All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Post by zac's mum » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Ok yes, I agree there will no longer be any guaranteed safety nets. I believe schools like St Patrick’s and the non-SAP CHIJ schools will be affected too.

But the affiliated kids still get priority discount over outsiders, no? Eg if an outsider wants to enter St Margaret’s Secondary, she needs to score ~240. But a student from St Margaret’s Primary only needs to score ~200 to enter. This baseline will definitely move up after 2019. But even if it moves up to 210, 220, there is still a “discount” priority for the affiliated girl. At 220, I don’t think she has other similar schools in that range available to her to choose from.

peasants
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by peasants » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Aztac wrote:affiliation is of no effect to me because to get into a good secondary school depends on my kid's skill

Quote for truth bro.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:100

Post by lee_yl » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Not entirely true. To get into a good secondary school still depends a lot on the parents. Like looking for good tutors, supervision on kids so that they do their homework and assessment books in a timely manner, go through their errors with them and regularly check their homework, take leave before exam to help in their revision etc. Parental efforts don’t stop after P1 registration.

PSLE stress / anxiety will hit you when your kid reaches P5.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:00 pm

There are a total of 27 secondary schools with affiliation.

Unfortunately, majority of them already takes in more than 20% of non-affiliated students so they are not affected. Branded schools like SJI, SCGS, MGS, St Marg etc are not affected.

Perhaps it’s because the secondary school intake is much larger than a typical primary school cohort.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:134

Post by janet88 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:04 pm

lee_yl wrote: Not entirely true. To get into a good secondary school still depends a lot on the parents. Like looking for good tutors, supervision on kids so that they do their homework and assessment books in a timely manner, go through their errors with them and regularly check their homework, take leave before exam to help in their revision etc. Parental efforts don’t stop after P1 registration.

:goodpost:
when kids start to attend formal schooling, it's more than parental involvement...almost the entire family is involved.
there are 3 subjects and one more called ART work. then there is this thing called 抄写 'parked' under MT. this is time consuming because the child cannot sleep if this is not completed...the MT teacher will just write a date and the word 'seen'. for art work, there is cutting, pasting, colouring to be done. again this non core work needs to be completed too. I remember evenings when hubby coached son for math, then 3 year daughter coloured his art and the helper with the cutting and pasting. I finished writing the 3 pages of 抄写. mornings, I coached son for English and Chinese.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:35 pm

janet88 wrote:
lee_yl wrote: Not entirely true. To get into a good secondary school still depends a lot on the parents. Like looking for good tutors, supervision on kids so that they do their homework and assessment books in a timely manner, go through their errors with them and regularly check their homework, take leave before exam to help in their revision etc. Parental efforts don’t stop after P1 registration.

when kids start to attend formal schooling, it's more than parental involvement...almost the entire family is involved.
there are 3 subjects and one more called ART work. then there is this thing called 抄写 'parked' under MT. this is time consuming because the child cannot sleep if this is not completed...the MT teacher will just write a date and the word 'seen'. for art work, there is cutting, pasting, colouring to be done. again this non core work needs to be completed too. I remember evenings when hubby coached son for math, then 3 year daughter coloured his art and the helper with the cutting and pasting. I finished writing the 3 pages of 抄写. mornings, I coached son for English and Chinese.

The only work I rmbr doing with my child was extra Science learning fr the Science Centre, thro the school. I'll look thro entire Sc Challenge & reccee sch eco-garden, plan & guide DC. Altho it's not compulsory, I noticed it was in line with Pri Sc syllabus & easily available to explore at school compound. I wanted to encourage extra experiential learning, so we went thro entire questions - collecting specimens, identifying & taking pics at the eco-garden, growing beans under diff conditions, etc. The guidance is only to tt extent as DC do all the write-up answers. Still keeping their specimen booklets. Mush keep la. All sweat & fun u know.

Sch had informed & reminded tt all hmwk do not need more than half-hour to complete. Hence, must ensure yr child keep up with hmwk, owise can cause stress & dislike for sch work. Best help yr child monitor & upkeep. I rmbr my kids always hv time btwn 4-6pm for R&R - swimming, tennis, chess, biking, badminton, etc.

Speaking fr experience coz DS was behind MT hmwk in P1. He never brot any MT hmwk & claimed completed in school, till one Sept he was frantically completing workbook & I had to stop him when time passed 9pm, promising to get teacher's extension.

Then heard this teacher claiming my child had never handed up any work & made snide comments abt govt-aided sch being diff fr neigbourhood schools. Such remarks shld never had come fr an educator, nor shld one leave a student 'escape' not handing up work but collaborate with parents rather than leave it for unusually long to address issue. I was indignant & since then ensure my kids keep up. Once they keep up, you'll see the confidence & love grow into their learning.

Parents guidance for our young must never be belittled nor undermined. S'times you meet teachers who are on the trial of early retirement & hv no heart to watch your every child's devpt.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:22 pm

Estéema wrote:
janet88 wrote:

The only work I rmbr doing with my child was extra Science learning fr the Science Centre, thro the school. I'll look thro entire Sc Challenge & reccee sch eco-garden, plan & guide DC. Altho it's not compulsory, I noticed it was in line with Pri Sc syllabus & easily available to explore at school compound. I wanted to encourage extra experiential learning, so we went thro entire questions - collecting specimens, identifying & taking pics at the eco-garden, growing beans under diff conditions, etc. The guidance is only to tt extent as DC do all the write-up answers. Still keeping their specimen booklets. Mush keep la. All sweat & fun u know.

Sch had informed & reminded tt all hmwk do not need more than half-hour to complete. Hence, must ensure yr child keep up with hmwk, owise can cause stress & dislike for sch work. Best help yr child monitor & upkeep. I rmbr my kids always hv time btwn 4-6pm for R&R - swimming, tennis, chess, biking, badminton, etc.

Speaking fr experience coz DS was behind MT hmwk in P1. He never brot any MT hmwk & claimed completed in school, till one Sept he was frantically completing workbook & I had to stop him when time passed 9pm, promising to get teacher's extension.

Then heard this teacher claiming my child had never handed up any work & made snide comments abt govt-aided sch being diff fr neigbourhood schools. Such remarks shld never had come fr an educator, nor shld one leave a student 'escape' not handing up work but collaborate with parents rather than leave it for unusually long to address issue. I was indignant & since then ensure my kids keep up. Once they keep up, you'll see the confidence & love grow into their learning.

Parents guidance for our young must never be belittled nor undermined. S'times you meet teachers who are on the trial of early retirement & hv no heart to watch your every child's devpt.
Esteema, maybe after the hustle and bustle of PSLE, you have forgotten the many trips you and your hubby made to send your DS to the different enrichment centres. Not forgetting the committed efforts to diligently revise Wang Laoshi’s notes with him after each lesson. :smile:

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:39 pm

lee_yl,

Yes. To keep my active eager beaver going, owise can't fully engage the high energy nor distract fr screen activities. P6 no choice leh.

We've to revise during that one intense year of polishing performance for PSLE. Most work done during P5&6 June school holidays & P5 Nov/Dec. We scaled down a lot in terms of tuition e.g. Writers@Work but hv to keep up with 汪 after 3-hr classes, revise half to an hour by discussing verbally ideas & phrases for Oral & Compo. P3-5 consistent work, so not so uphill by P6. Never do our kids' homework lah. What will they learn? Handwriting cannot be doctored too! Lights hv to be out by 9.30pm latest.

Thereafter, kids hv to manage their own timetable, hmwk, project work, 2 CCAs, 3rd language, etc. Am thankful to hv trained my kids to do independent reading, studying as DC just shared during dinnertime that his Language Arts Coursework has to be typed out for teacher to submit to MOE. Never helped. Don't like reading political Animal Farm. Just read the written poems. Don't wanna 2nd guess but hope some good news. Not sure what's coming up. :shrug: :xedfingers:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:21

Post by MrsKiasu » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:49 am

I m feeling guilty again. First time, dd2 forgot to read spelling, mommy I got this, forgot to learn..I was telling myself must remember to learn on weekends..this wk came back again the same :sad: only thing is luckily still manageable now..still decent as cher let them have some read up before that.