2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2

Post by nms1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:35 pm

coast wrote:
floppy wrote:
Dino wrote:It seems like there are 2 camps to whether to take HCL. Tks for all the different views =)
I think both camps reach quite similar conclusion actually.

If you are doing well (> 50%) in HCL, no reason for you to discontinue.
If you are struggling with HCL (<50%), no reason for you to continue, especially if it comes at the expanse of your other subjects.

The bonus marks for HCL is only useful if you are applying to SAP sec schools, useless everywhere else.
The waiver of CL requirement for A-Level only applies if you complete / pass HCL exams at O-Level, i.e. at the end of 4 more years, not PSLE. Dropping out of the subject halfway in sec school don't count (and if you are struggling with HCL, I can foresee that it will take up time and impact the rest of the other 6 to 7 O-Level subjects).
Some students/ parents may have the misconception that taking HCL means extra subject (workload). It may be true for certain schools (e.g., additional afternoon HCL classes, homework). My DS told me that the P6 CL class had much more homework compared to his HCL class. The hours of CL and HCL classes were the same. So for those doing well in CL/ HCL, you may want to check with the school before dropping HCL for workload reasons.
Definitely talk to the school. My elder son is in P5 - most of his class takes HCL but he doesn't. The number of classes is the same and the amount of homework is similar but the ting xie and mo xie is much harder for the HCL. For him, being weaker at Chinese, it would be impossible. He would need to spend hours each week learning.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by phtthp » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:01 pm

nms1 wrote:
Definitely talk to the school. My elder son is in P5 - most of his class takes HCL but he doesn't. The number of classes is the same and the amount of homework is similar but the ting xie and mo xie is much harder for the HCL. For him, being weaker at Chinese, it would be impossible. He would need to spend hours each week learning.
depends on how you look at it.

For my P5 kiddo school, although tingxie & moxie from HCL weekly list is slightly harder, compared to the Normal Chinese weekly tingxie/moxie list, however we noticed that it benefit, in the long run.

It is these weekly, slightly tougher " moxie full sentences" that made them memorise, and apply directly into the "jie wei" or Conclusion paragraph, in both Normal Chinese & Higher Chinese zuowen.

There are around 50 or 52 weeks, within
One academic year. This means that in one year, these useful HCL moxie list had helped P5 students to collate into their brain CPU database : to remember, to memorise sub-consciously and to apply various types (nature) of conclusion paragraph according to different zuowen scenario, to aid them in writing conclusion for zuowen.

We take it as part of beneficial "free tuition " received from school.

As you may already know, in any zuowen (essay writing), the beginning paragraph (Kai tou) and the conclusion paragraph (Jie wei), besides the hao ci hao ju, thrown in : that are important.

This way, due to "free tuition received ", we no longer need to send kiddo to anymore external private Chinese tuition outside, for zuowen anymore.

In her kiddo SAP school, usually at year-end, after P4 SA2 & after P5 SA2, all the Upper primary (P5 and P6) lao shi will gather for a meeting sometime in December, one week before new academic year January start, together with Chinese HOD. Not merely to discuss assign which Chinese lao shi to teach which P5 class, but also to discuss content of the HCL tingxie / moxie list. What they do is they discuss:-

If zuowen topic is "hao ren zuo hao shi", do a good deed : then moxie for this week is, eg. Full sentence Phrase #1

Next, if another zuowen topic is "yi ge jiao xun", a moral lesson learnt, from a bad deed or mis-behavior, then moxie for next week is, eg. Full sentence Phrase #2

Third, if another zuowen topic, is on "gai guo zi xin" scenario, this can be a "ming ti" zuowen or a "wan cheng wen zhang" zuowen, then lao shi will prepare another moxie Phrase, #3.

so on, and so forth ... to different type of zuowen scenario.

So, during P5 (SA1 and SA2) Chinese Paper 1 zuowen, one look at the "kan tu zuowen " (picture composition) : one will know which moxie memorized phrase to apply, or to regurgitate out, from their internalized brain CPU database storage of a number of moxie accumulated, captured Phrases, over one year period .

No need to waste $, send them for another round of external, private Chinese tuition outside, anymore. Also at P5 / P6, where got time to attend so much tuition?
Last edited by phtthp on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Today, this thread had hit page #200

Bochapmum3
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Bochapmum3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Comparing between normal Chinese zuowen and HCL zuowen, is there a different standard in marking? Does the child usually score higher in normal Chinese zuowen?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:09 pm

"Ming ti" zuowen appear in both Normal Chinese zuowen, as well as in Higher Chinese zuowen (paper 1).

School Chinese Lao shi said "ming ti" zuowen are marked differently, in Normal Chinese vs. Higher Chinese zuowen. But she did not go into nitty gritty, tell (explain to) kiddo class, what exactly is the difference. But aware that there are some P5 students in her class who thrived (excel in) on writing "Ming ti" instead of writing "kan tu zuowen", and scored very well, 38 / 40 (Paper 1), although her lao shi said usually safer to stick to "kan tu zuowen", won't go out of point, "bu hui li ti".

Once "li ti" in "Ming ti zuowen" :skeptical: , fail zuowen, very hard to salvage overall Chinese.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by floppy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:34 pm

nms1 wrote:
coast wrote:
floppy wrote:
I think both camps reach quite similar conclusion actually.

If you are doing well (> 50%) in HCL, no reason for you to discontinue.
If you are struggling with HCL (<50%), no reason for you to continue, especially if it comes at the expanse of your other subjects.

The bonus marks for HCL is only useful if you are applying to SAP sec schools, useless everywhere else.
The waiver of CL requirement for A-Level only applies if you complete / pass HCL exams at O-Level, i.e. at the end of 4 more years, not PSLE. Dropping out of the subject halfway in sec school don't count (and if you are struggling with HCL, I can foresee that it will take up time and impact the rest of the other 6 to 7 O-Level subjects).
Some students/ parents may have the misconception that taking HCL means extra subject (workload). It may be true for certain schools (e.g., additional afternoon HCL classes, homework). My DS told me that the P6 CL class had much more homework compared to his HCL class. The hours of CL and HCL classes were the same. So for those doing well in CL/ HCL, you may want to check with the school before dropping HCL for workload reasons.
I agree. Don’t drop the subject for “workload” reasons.

The amount of time set aside for lessons is the same, be it CL or HCL. Some schools may have additional lessons but those additional lessons could also happen to any of the examinable subjects. Hence, dropping HCL for CL may not necessarily result in a lighter workload.

On the other hand, if a child is struggling with HCL, he / she may deem one page of homework as too much (then again, CL also has homework leh). If he / she is taking more time or spending more effort just to pass HCL, can’t see how beneficial that would be for him.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by cherrygal » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Definitely don't drop HCL for workload reasons. What's an extra paper to take when compared to 8-9 subjects in secondary school?

Re 作文, 命题 can score 38/40 IF you are good. Most teachers encourage the students to do 看图 for safety. But the best 看图 might score only 36/40 max coz it's usually easier.

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:49

Post by chenlaoshi » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:50 am

chenlaoshi wrote:
chenlaoshi wrote:
chenlaoshi wrote:Thanks to the many parents for the private messages and inquiries regarding the holiday class mentioned in the above post.
I have started a thread here for easier communication: https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... 8#p1879968
Please feel free to drop by and raise and suggestions/questions.

【PSLE 小六会考 华文加油站】(Nov 2018) - 3 days free workshop
Fee: FREE. However, a donation of at least $30 needs to be made to Singapore Children’s Society (https://www.childrensociety.org.sg/donation) to secure and confirm your child/ward's seat. Besides giving to a good cause with the festive period fast approaching, this is to deter cases of 'seat-hogging' & 'no-show'.

Venue: 266 Serangoon North Singapore 550266

Dates: Tue 20 Nov 2018, Wed 21 Nov 2018 and Thur 22 Nov 2018

Timeslots: 11:30am to 1:00pm or 2:00pm to 3:30pm

Target Group: Primary 6 students in 2019 (i.e. 2018's Pri 5 students)

Max. capacity per class: 6 pax
* More classes/time slots may be opened during the year end school holiday based on demand.

Techniques & tips on how to tackle the different sections/components and types of questions will be shared while handouts will be provided too. Participants will be given priority in terms of registering for Chen Lao Shi's 2019 weekly PSLE Chinese Preparation Group Class.
*Received queries regarding 2019 Pri 5 students attending this workshop - Yes, they are welcomed too. :)
A couple of parents enquired about Dec session so I've added an option to in the Google Form. The dates will be Tue 11 Dec 2018, Wed 12 Dec 2018 and Thur 13 Dec 2018. Please tick the checkbox in "Joining December's Session Instead" if you are registering for the Dec session.

For more info on the workshop: https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... 0#p1879968
To access Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zPDZrQ ... 7hP1JO1L0/
Tue 20 Nov 2018, Wed 21 Nov 2018 and Thur 22 Nov 2018 (Registration deadline: 5 Nov 2018)
- 11:30am to 1:00pm [Registration closed]
- 2:00pm to 3:30pm --- 3 vacancies

Tue 11 Dec 2018, Wed 12 Dec 2018 and Thur 13 Dec 2018 (Registration deadline: 26 Nov 2018)
- 11:30am to 1:00pm --- 4 vacancies
- 2:00pm to 3:30pm --- 3 vacancies

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:49

Post by chenlaoshi » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:55 am

chenlaoshi wrote:
chenlaoshi wrote:Some parents feedback about their interest in compre and/or compo class so I've pushed ahead with this non-obligatory compre trial class. For full details, please head over to: https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... 0#p1881030

【PSLE Chinese Weekly Preparation Group Class - 悦读理解会】(Nov/Dec 2018) - Trial Classes
Fee: FREE. Each child is entitled to a total of 4 trial lessons.

Venue: 266 Serangoon North Singapore 550266

Dates: Mon 26 Nov 2018, Mon 3 Dec 2018, Mon 10 Dec 2018, Mon 17 Dec 2018

Timeslots: 普华CL组 - 2:15pm – 4pm; 高华HCL组 - 4:30pm – 6:30pm

Target Group: Primary 6 students in 2019 (i.e. 2018's Pri 5 students)

Max. capacity per class: 6 pax

Registration via Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/153uvJN ... pHPDub5SrU

Why the focus on comprehension? That's because the skill set involved & picked up will be applicable across various testable components:
- Reading of passage: Word recognition & pronunciation
- Answering of questions: Works on grammar & sentence structuring
- Analysation of underlying messages in passage & tackling of higher order thinking questions: Enhances critical thinking skills
Do you also know that the weight-age of comprehension sections in GCE O'Lvl CL Paper 2 is 85% (60 out of 70 marks) & 75% in GCE O'Lvl CL Paper 2 (60 out of 80 marks)? Equipping your child with the necessary skills to handle and tackle comprehension passages with ease and confidence will stand him/her in good stead in his/her journey of mastering the language and even embracing it's beauty. :)

ImageImage
ImageImage
Just to clarify some parent's doubt: It is not compulsory to attend all 4 lessons (you can select the dates your child will be attending in the Google Form) - although understandably, those who attend consecutive lessons will find continuity in learning and reinforcement of the skills and techniques taught. (Registration deadline for each lesson is 3 days before the lesson. Thank you.)
Average vacancies:
CL --- 3
HCL --- 4

Happy weekend, everyone!

Seannnnn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Seannnnn » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:35 pm

Same situation here, i remembered that the school has the final say in deciding when it comes to P6. But if marks are close, can appeal.

Also sharing a tip on how i encourage my children to read previously - find out what they like to read, then find it for them (because they won't). Slowly they will start picking up the habit of reading. This can be comics, novels, crime and mystery, etc.