All About Taekwondo

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
Post Reply
peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Nov 02,
Total Likes:29

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by peasants » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi Serendipity,

My kids attend both STF and STA, not endorsing cos they benefit from both disciplines.

For STF during my time in 2010s, they are more into sports, which are those you see in Olympic Games, SEA Games, Asean Games etc. Not sure about STF now as they change syllabus a lot. They focus more on kicks though. This should remain unchange.

STA is more into self defense and practical applications. They will practice breakfalls, self defense tactics. Both punches and kicks spread evenly.

Both STF and STA have non contact sparrings and patterns to master.

Google difference between STF and STA for more details. Below is a related link from ST, interesting read.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... rtial-arts

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 04,
Total Likes:8

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by Serendipity » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:14 pm

peasants wrote:Hi Serendipity,

My kids attend both STF and STA, not endorsing cos they benefit from both disciplines.

For STF during my time in 2010s, they are more into sports, which are those you see in Olympic Games, SEA Games, Asean Games etc. Not sure about STF now as they change syllabus a lot. They focus more on kicks though. This should remain unchange.

STA is more into self defense and practical applications. They will practice breakfalls, self defense tactics. Both punches and kicks spread evenly.

Both STF and STA have non contact sparrings and patterns to master.

Google difference between STF and STA for more details. Below is a related link from ST, interesting read.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... rtial-arts
Thanks for the quick lesson... Wow... your kids attend both concurrently?

Actually how do we tell whether a TKD school is under STF or STA? From their uniform?

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Nov 02,
Total Likes:29

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by peasants » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:50 pm

Serendipity wrote:
peasants wrote:Hi Serendipity,

My kids attend both STF and STA, not endorsing cos they benefit from both disciplines.

For STF during my time in 2010s, they are more into sports, which are those you see in Olympic Games, SEA Games, Asean Games etc. Not sure about STF now as they change syllabus a lot. They focus more on kicks though. This should remain unchange.

STA is more into self defense and practical applications. They will practice breakfalls, self defense tactics. Both punches and kicks spread evenly.

Both STF and STA have non contact sparrings and patterns to master.

Google difference between STF and STA for more details. Below is a related link from ST, interesting read.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... rtial-arts
Thanks for the quick lesson... Wow... your kids attend both concurrently?

Actually how do we tell whether a TKD school is under STF or STA? From their uniform?
Both my kids train under STF for 4 years from age of 4, then switch to STA till current. They are P6 and Sec 3 this year.

Look out for STF logos in training schools, or ask the trainer. This is real easy, simply because they are much much bigger outfit. For STA, go to their webby or FB for their training venues.

Another way to spot is their uniform tops. STF is pull over type. Adult black belts will have black collars and black belt. Kids black belt will have red-black collars and red-black belts aka poom belt. Non black belt for junior and adult will wear all white uniform tops with color belts.

STA uniform tops are like those button down top but is held by 2 thick strings instead of buttons. Adult black belts will have black linings along the bottom of the uniform tops and black belt. Junior blackbelt is plain white tops and black colour belt. Non black belts for junior and adult wear all white with color belts.

Both STF and STA wordings are printed at the back of the uniforms.

Black belts could apply for TKD badge in the army.

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 04,
Total Likes:8

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by Serendipity » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:25 am

peasants wrote:
Serendipity wrote:
peasants wrote:Hi Serendipity,

My kids attend both STF and STA, not endorsing cos they benefit from both disciplines.

For STF during my time in 2010s, they are more into sports, which are those you see in Olympic Games, SEA Games, Asean Games etc. Not sure about STF now as they change syllabus a lot. They focus more on kicks though. This should remain unchange.

STA is more into self defense and practical applications. They will practice breakfalls, self defense tactics. Both punches and kicks spread evenly.

Both STF and STA have non contact sparrings and patterns to master.

Google difference between STF and STA for more details. Below is a related link from ST, interesting read.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... rtial-arts
Thanks for the quick lesson... Wow... your kids attend both concurrently?

Actually how do we tell whether a TKD school is under STF or STA? From their uniform?
Both my kids train under STF for 4 years from age of 4, then switch to STA till current. They are P6 and Sec 3 this year.

Look out for STF logos in training schools, or ask the trainer. This is real easy, simply because they are much much bigger outfit. For STA, go to their webby or FB for their training venues.

Another way to spot is their uniform tops. STF is pull over type. Adult black belts will have black collars and black belt. Kids black belt will have red-black collars and red-black belts aka poom belt. Non black belt for junior and adult will wear all white uniform tops with color belts.

STA uniform tops are like those button down top but is held by 2 thick strings instead of buttons. Adult black belts will have black linings along the bottom of the uniform tops and black belt. Junior blackbelt is plain white tops and black colour belt. Non black belts for junior and adult wear all white with color belts.

Both STF and STA wordings are printed at the back of the uniforms.

Black belts could apply for TKD badge in the army.
Thanks peasants for the informative explanation! Now I've got a much clearer idea.

Did you switch your kids to STA for more exposure to the self-defence components?

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Nov 02,
Total Likes:29

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by peasants » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:02 am

Tats a yes. I drill them so much that it has become part of their instincts. Example, block an attack, break a body point & floor the attacker in a single motion within 2 seconds. Most other defense skills are based on same fundamentals.


Chew88
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 28,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by Chew88 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:52 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for tkd in bukit timah area? My kid attends tkd at bukit timah plaza but they just upped their prices so considering alternatives.

sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 16,
Total Likes:6

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by sob7 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:42 pm

You are referring to Hyun or a new one?
There is ildo at Bukit Timah shopping center or JH Kim at Lorong Kilat( udders shophouses)
Not sure their rates but you can call and ask.
Turf city you have JH Kim and Trifecta

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Aug 04,
Total Likes:8

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by Serendipity » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 pm

sob7 wrote:You are referring to Hyun or a new one?
There is ildo at Bukit Timah shopping center or JH Kim at Lorong Kilat( udders shophouses)
Not sure their rates but you can call and ask.
Turf city you have JH Kim and Trifecta
KTMA has taken over Hyun apparently.

sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 16,
Total Likes:6

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by sob7 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Serendipity wrote:
sob7 wrote:You are referring to Hyun or a new one?
There is ildo at Bukit Timah shopping center or JH Kim at Lorong Kilat( udders shophouses)
Not sure their rates but you can call and ask.
Turf city you have JH Kim and Trifecta
KTMA has taken over Hyun apparently.
Oh really, I did not know about that.
Sorry if there any confusion caused.
But the rest should be still correct right?

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Nov 02,
Total Likes:29

Re: All About Taekwondo

Post by peasants » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Anyone at Yew Tee CC last Sunday?

Post Reply