All About Home Addresses

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Would you use an address that you do not stay in, just to get priority in P1 registration?

No
67%
Yes
33%

Total votes: 866

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:53

Re: All About Home Addresses

Post by zac's mum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:56 pm

St Anthony’s Primary some years need balloting for 1-2km, some years need balloting for <1km.

The way I interpret the MOE rule, if your child gains priority admission into SAPS through <1km, regardless any balloting or not, then you are obliged by law to stay at that same address <1km (or another address also <1km) for 30 months.

If you think about it, this is a fair requirement, because if you move to >2km before the 30 months is up, then you have abused your distance priority and may have caused other people to miss out on that seat during registration.

Huanglynn
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Huanglynn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:01 pm

Thanks! Let’s say I apply for rulang primary school (<1km from my new place), and if I do not get in after balloting, do I join 2c supplementary phrase?

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:71

Post by hquek » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Huanglynn wrote:Thanks! Let’s say I apply for rulang primary school (<1km from my new place), and if I do not get in after balloting, do I join 2c supplementary phrase?
If you do not get a place in 2C, the next phase is to try again in Phase 2C Supplementary.

2C Supplementary will only be conducted in schools that have vacancies. I strongly suggest that you try for something that has a higher chances of success in 2C cos my impression is that schools in 2C supplementary is not that popular (for myriad reasons) - not say cannot, but your child will be in whatever school for the next 6 years, exercise your choices wisely.

All the best!

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:140

Post by floppy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:23 pm

zac's mum wrote:St Anthony’s Primary some years need balloting for 1-2km, some years need balloting for <1km.

The way I interpret the MOE rule, if your child gains priority admission into SAPS through <1km, regardless any balloting or not, then you are obliged by law to stay at that same address <1km (or another address also <1km) for 30 months.

If you think about it, this is a fair requirement, because if you move to >2km before the 30 months is up, then you have abused your distance priority and may have caused other people to miss out on that seat during registration.
That is correct.

If you use your current address (< 1km) to gain entry into St Anthony, and there is balloting at St Anthony for any distance, you have to stay at the address for 30months, i.e. you can't move to your new place. If you do, MOE / school has the right to withdraw your child.

Avenue3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Avenue3 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:10 am

My child got admission to school by <1km priority; now it takes almost 20 min slow walk with traffic lights etc. Due to a new situation, we are considering moving closer to the school (to be within 3 to 5 min walking distance). Should we seek permission from MOE or we simply move? as we are still within 1 km....

thanks in advance for any replies.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:47

Post by Estéema » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:53 pm

Avenue3 wrote:My child got admission to school by <1km priority; now it takes almost 20 min slow walk with traffic lights etc. Due to a new situation, we are considering moving closer to the school (to be within 3 to 5 min walking distance). Should we seek permission from MOE or we simply move? as we are still within 1 km....

thanks in advance for any replies.
So long as u’re within 1km or less, you just need to update yr i/c at the nearest police post & inform school immediately. If u’re moving >1km, and u’ve stayed there <30 mths, I believe the sch will take note & might also take action esp if yr child just entered sch within the year or 2.

heleninnovation
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by heleninnovation » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am

Hi dear gurus,

Ever since 30mth ruling introduced
For the scenario whereby the kid got in sch based on <1km home distance as result of balloting, later on needed to move to another property still within 1km,

Anyone have experienced this and gone through appeal process with MOE? A

Mind to share the outcome and explaination by MOE?
I can’t seem to find a definitive answer on MOE website/FAQ

Many many thanks!

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:140

Post by floppy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:00 am

There’s no need to appeal if moving within the same distance priority or better.

diamante33
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by diamante33 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:14 am

Newbie here.. need some clarification from gurus here

If I get into a school in Phase 2B (I stay <1km) and there is a balloting for SC > 2km in Phase 2B, will I be subjected to the 30months min stay? Since there is no balloting for those <1km?

Thanks in advance!

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:53

Post by zac's mum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:25 am

diamante33 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:14 am
Newbie here.. need some clarification from gurus here

If I get into a school in Phase 2B (I stay <1km) and there is a balloting for SC > 2km in Phase 2B, will I be subjected to the 30months min stay? Since there is no balloting for those <1km?

Thanks in advance!
Scroll up a few posts...a similar qn was answered just there