Guy who filmed NUS undergrad showering.....

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Re: Guy who filmed NUS undergrad showering.....

Post by pirate » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:06 am

sparks wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:02 am
If taking video of woman showering merely slapped a $2000 fine, then something is wrong and it is time to review and update the system. Jmo.
Yes. This is a more sensible and productive subject for discussion.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:211

Post by phtthp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:05 pm

26 sexual offences occured over past 3 years at nus, this is very serious

https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapor ... st-3-years

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:43 am

-
Last edited by phtthp on Thu May 02, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saplings
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Saplings » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:10 pm

Nicholas Lim: No excuse, it was very wrong, says man at centre of NUS sexual voyeurism case

Soon after undergraduate Nicholas Lim took a video of someone in the hostel shower on his phone, he confessed the act to his girlfriend. The girlfriend was also on her phone: She had received a message that there was a Peeping Tom on the university campus. Together, they met Ms Monica Baey so he could own up and apologise.

"I wanted to confess it was me," Mr Lim, 23, a chemical engineering student at the National University of Singapore (NUS), told The Straits Times.

Asked if he did so only out of fear that he would be caught as a result of his image being captured by surveillance cameras, he said no. "I did something wrong. I wasn't planning to hide from it, to run."

In his first media interview, the man at the centre of a high-profile sexual misconduct case that has prompted widespread discussion about how such incidents are handled on university campuses said, when asked how the past week had been for him: "I don't think I am a victim. I'm the perpetrator. I did what I did. My point is not to justify my action. Not to say I was drunk. Drunk or not, it should never have happened."

At turns emotional, Mr Lim, who was accompanied by a male friend at the interview at a coffee joint at Leisure Park Kallang, said that he is now going public because he wanted people to know "how truly sorry I am".

He broke down twice - burying his head in his arms, his voice trembling - especially when talking about the impact the saga has had on his parents. At one point, his friend patted his arm.

Last Thursday, Ms Baey posted on social media about the incident which took place last November, and her anguish about the lack of steps taken to penalise Mr Lim. He did not know how to react after reading it, he said.

"I was worried, scared. Then came the media coverage. Everyone was posting online." It was then that he told his parents about the incident which happened.

The following morning, his 83-year-old grandmother died from a heart attack. It was not from the incident, he clarified.

But it was painful seeing how much hurt he has caused his parents who, at the same time, had to prepare for his grandmother's wake. "My parents were very worried and kept asking if I was okay. As a son, the last thing I want is for them to be so worried about me at their age, when I should be the one taking care of them," said Mr Lim, the only son of a taxi driver, 69, and a housewife, 59.

"They now have to bear this uncertainty with me," he said, referring to his future.

Mr Lim had joined insurer Great Eastern Singapore as a financial adviser last year while still a student. The company suspended him on Monday, and he later submitted his resignation.

"My dad is a taxi driver and he works very hard. I can tell he is worried sick," said Mr Lim. "There were definitely moments where I felt I could no longer hold it together, but I was lucky to have the support and encouragement of my family, friends and even strangers who have kept me going.

"They were angry at what I did. They were also willing to let me redeem myself - had the faith and belief in the person that I am, to be able to learn from my mistake and become a better person."

More at https://tinyurl.com/yynh7hgx

Saplings
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Saplings » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:29 pm

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:16 pm

another peeping tom -
NTU guy filming a girl showering, inside NTU

This time, the gadget used for filming, was slipped in from Top of the showering cubicle, not from the bottom of cubicle

https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapor ... eeping-tom

Saplings
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Saplings » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:17 pm

NUS peeping tom case becoming example of ‘trial by social media’, sets ‘dangerous precedent’

I refer to the recent peeping tom case at the National University of Singapore (NUS). As a female alumnus of NUS, I have followed the case in the news and can empathise with Miss Monica Baey's predicament.

She naturally feels upset and seems frustrated with the punishment handed to the offender, deeming it inadequate.

After she posted about the events on her Instagram account, it triggered a public outcry, leading to Education Minister Ong Ye Kung, NUS president Tan Eng Chye, and various committee bodies and senior management from the university weighing in on the matter.

So much so that even the Singapore Police Force has to justify their rationale in deciding the form of punishment for the offender, going to the extent of publicly clarifying his parents' background and professions.

In my opinion, this case has become a classic example of "trial by social media", where many people enter the fray, without being completely privy to the facts of the case, and dictate to the authorities how they should have done their job.

And it could set a dangerous precedent in Singapore where anyone with a grievance can turn into a Shylock and demand their "pound of flesh" by merely complaining on social media.

As an educated and compassionate society, we owe it to both the victim and the offender, to allow the authorities the space to carry out investigations on their part, and arrive at a fair judgment without getting carried away by emotions.

I sincerely hope Miss Baey can receive the required support from the authorities, if she disagrees with the actions taken, without having to do so via social media. Furthermore, she should also be offered counselling to overcome this traumatic event in her life.

https://www.todayonline.com/voices/nus- ... -precedent

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:116

Post by lee_yl » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:13 pm

Inevitable as we are now in a new-age internet world. Our lives evolve with new technology/internet/social media. While I can agree with the “social media justice” part, but that is beside the point.

I think to be fair to Monica, this incident did not happen yesterday but LAST YEAR November, thus, even at the moment of anguish, the first thing she did was not to turn to social media. She went thru the conventional way of filing a police report and informed NUS. Nic Lim would not have come into the picture if NUS had better managed or engaged Monica during the initial period.

Don’t say the victim, I was also taken aback by the light sentence passed on the voyeur. This case also brought to light a few things, the lack of sensitivity and empathy in handling such voyeurism cases by NUS (and maybe, other IHLs as well).

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:19 pm

-
Last edited by phtthp on Fri May 03, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:30 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:13 pm
Don’t say the victim, I was also taken aback by the light sentence passed on the voyeur. This case also brought to light a few things, the lack of sensitivity and empathy in handling such voyeurism cases by NUS (and maybe, other IHLs as well).
there have been many cases of upskirt pics, molest and other sex related crimes.
NUS has not been fair to the victim by issuing a '2 strikes and you are out' crap.

"I was worried, scared. Then came the media coverage. Everyone was posting online." It was then that he told his parents about the incident which happened.''
if he had thought of the consequences, this would not have happened.

''I sincerely hope Miss Baey can receive the required support from the authorities, if she disagrees with the actions taken, without having to do so via social media. Furthermore, she should also be offered counselling to overcome this traumatic event in her life.''
if Nicholas lim had not be let off with just a warning, I believe the victim would not have used social media.