All About Bullying

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:77

Re: All About Bullying

Post by zac's mum » Sun May 05, 2019 4:57 pm

The first step we can do is to empower our own kids to speak up & voice out if someone does or says something to them that they are truly uncomfortable with. A simple NO, NO WAY or STOP THAT, I don’t like it! should be sufficient to make a reasonable human being cease the action.

Subsequent to that, any persistence by that other person in continuing, should get a verbal warning: “XYZ student, stop that [describe the action clearly] right now or I’m going to...[describe the consequence]!” Best shouted at the top of the voice, in the presence of several witnesses, especially a teacher/person of authority.

Has worked well so far. Trained over many years during preschool age & often put into practice at public playgrounds. Quite often I see that the “bullies” are stunned because nobody ever told them that the whatever action is super annoying/hurtful to other kids. It just takes one brave soul to stand up and educate the bully on what’s appropriate/not appropriate/not accepted by pushovers.

Kiddo has even taken it further by turning “enemies” into friends: Hey kid, I’ll happily play with you if you stop [throwing sand in my face or whatever]. Let’s play this instead...

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:107

Post by lee_yl » Sun May 05, 2019 5:29 pm

phtthp wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:47 pm
Imo, after report bully case to school, if the school continue to sit on the problem (lay golden egg), do nothing within their authority to solve bullying, then the school is at fault :
because one cannot let the poor victim (student being bullied) continue to be forever bullied, and one also cannot continue to let the bully forever keep bullying people. The bully ought to be counselled too, on why bullying is wrong. Bully need to know, what is right, from what is wrong.

So if the school just want to sweep dirt under the carpet, do nothing to address the issue, then school is wrong.
I wonder whether the P took any concrete action when the matter was raised to his attention. Not all civil servants are on the ball.

Being bullied for more than 2 years is no joke.

Actually hubby and I felt sad for the poor dad. While he should not have taken justice into his own hands, DH commented that the defence lawyer’s argument was silly. It could have worked with a jury but not in local courts. High SES people would have gotten a better lawyer, appeal after the guilty verdict or settled out of court prior the trial. That’s why that day when I asked was the dad “not highly educated”, I actually wanted to say Low SES.

If ST is serious about journalistic work, they should follow up to shed more light on the bullying case and examine how prevalent bullying is in Singapore’s schools. There’s a story with an human angle which should be told in the name of social justice.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:164

Post by floppy » Sun May 05, 2019 6:25 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:29 pm

If ST is serious about journalistic work, they should follow up to shed more light on the bullying case and examine how prevalent bullying is in Singapore’s schools. There’s a story with an human angle which should be told in the name of social justice.
ST decision making process:
Does it serve the government purpose?
Yes - proceed to investigate and report.
No - relegate to scrap pile.

Rank 151 out of 180.

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by peasants » Sun May 05, 2019 7:18 pm

Tat's why I mentioned earlier, instead of depending on the system, I rather my children learn how to be tough when need arise. I feel primary school has more bullying issues than secondary school. These bullies are sometimes looking for targets whom seemed timid, once they realise there are no retaliations, the bullying continue, worse case from verbal to physical assault.

Janet32
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Janet32 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:54 am

We as parents should also know the importance of bullying. Kids learn from us. Those kids that are bullying other kids might be doing so because they are also being bullied at home. If we all teach our child how to be kind and respect others, then the word bullying should've never existed.

peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by peasants » Thu May 16, 2019 7:11 pm

*JUST IN* NTU student raped by foreign worker.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... kranji-war

pokoyoko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by pokoyoko » Thu May 16, 2019 7:22 pm

peasants wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:11 pm

This is terrible... just terrible... Poor girl.......

Michy79
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Michy79 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:16 am

peasants wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Terrible news.. I hope she gets the justice she deserved. Rest in peace to that poor girl. :cry:

bluesky3000
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by bluesky3000 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:15 pm

Sometimes the parents are the bullys because they nv have anything great in their life thus they want to stand out and make sure their kid takes everything and step on everyone else, its disgusting/

Rachel572
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Rachel572 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:36 am

bluesky3000 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:15 pm
Sometimes the parents are the bullys because they nv have anything great in their life thus they want to stand out and make sure their kid takes everything and step on everyone else, its disgusting/
Yes, sometimes the very reason why a child bully other child is because he/she got it from their parents. We should always watch our actions and words when we discipline our children.