All About Puberty

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:324

Re: All About Puberty

Post by ChiefKiasu » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:30 pm

lylamorris wrote:Don't worry it's just periods and it happens with every girl at its time. I understand that as the mother you worried but if your daughter sees you stressed then how she handles herself now this is the right time to become a friend of your daughter and teach her to handle periods normally and how it is beneficial. Yes, there is a pain but it teaches us to be patient. If you're confused then just read this article it helps you to talk to your daughter https://www.lylamorris.com/how-to-talk- ... st-period/ Don't panic just congratulate her on her new journey.
Very useful information. Thanks.

JassyT
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by JassyT » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:08 pm

You can read more detailed articles on puberty and the teenage years generally [https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/hea ... ople-13-19], but this short summary gives you an idea of what to expect.

Sarah28
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Sarah28 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 am

It could really be puberty and it's great! My 11yo niece hit puberty when she was 9. Yes, she was very mature for her age (I remember she was like a 14-15yo at age 9). she had her first period at 10. Now that she is 11, talking with her is like talking with a 16yo girl.

joycu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by joycu » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:28 pm

My daughter's mood has changed completely this year. She used to be very happy-go-lucky, cheerful. this year she is like a completely different person. I think it's puberty kicking in just this year. I do miss who she used to be but I guess its part and parcel of transitioning to teenage years. Also, she loves my hubby and hates me. With me, it is arguments over everything.

Michy79
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Michy79 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 am

Boys and girls can see these changes happening to each other — in some cases, they can smell them. It's important to talk to your child about how bodies change — sooner, rather than later.

Juls00
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Juls00 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:57 pm

I think my parents would’ve died of embarrassment if they had to spend too much time on that topic. They gave me a wonderful book that covered all about puberty. It went through puberty, hygiene, good eating and exercise habits, sleep… It was great, I didn’t have to feel embarrassed with my questions. Although if you’re looking for something that covers sex this doesn’t touch that topic. It’s called The Care and Keeping of You. You can probably get it for like five bucks.

CerlynR
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by CerlynR » Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 am

Juls00 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:57 pm
I think my parents would’ve died of embarrassment if they had to spend too much time on that topic. They gave me a wonderful book that covered all about puberty. It went through puberty, hygiene, good eating and exercise habits, sleep… It was great, I didn’t have to feel embarrassed with my questions. Although if you’re looking for something that covers sex this doesn’t touch that topic. It’s called The Care and Keeping of You. You can probably get it for like five bucks.
Great suggestion, Juls00. I will find some time to look for this book. Sometimes it's best to let your teenage son/daughter to explore on their own with the guidance of their parents..

bluesky3000
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by bluesky3000 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:17 pm

Talk her through and tell her how you experience yours. Make sure she doesnt overthinnk and feel abnormal. You as a mother must keep your cool and show a strong composure to you child. They must all grow up one day. Earlier you teach them the easier they can learn

Brenda3700
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Brenda3700 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:29 am

bluesky3000 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:17 pm
Talk her through and tell her how you experience yours. Make sure she doesnt overthinnk and feel abnormal. You as a mother must keep your cool and show a strong composure to you child. They must all grow up one day. Earlier you teach them the easier they can learn
Good advise bluesky3000. We as mothers should know how to calm down and keep the cool. Talking about the experiences you have will assure him/her that they're not alone.

Camcwq
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Camcwq » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi Parents!

I have been interacting with my cousins and many female kids around pri 4-sec 1 and I realise that sex education in school are not sufficient in their content, would like to find out your thoughts if parents will be willing to send their children to external one-off classes that cover topics such as,menstruation and puberty changes?

Do voice your thoughts as I really would like to know! Thank you! :)