All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
emoh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:12

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by emoh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 pm

floppy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:22 pm
The way I see it, exempted student should still have an easy ride* with only 3 examinable subjects.

As long as scores for other 3 subjects are AL5 and above, imputed MTL would be AL6. Still almost a guaranteed score of 21 and better, ie Express with 1 less subject load.

*The only issue is for parents / students aiming for the top schools. With a highest possible score of only AL9, IP schools are almost a no-fly zone via the PSLE route. Only way is to go via DSA.
With AL9, if cannot enter IP school, can also try O level track of dual track IP schools like ACS(I), Cedar, MGS, SCGS, SJI, Victoria then seek internal transfer to IP at the end of Sec 2.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by phtthp » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15 pm

Hendon wrote:
slacefy wrote: As mentioned, she takes German, so that's 4 subjects, not 3.

Just because MOE doesn't do it in school does not make it any easier to pick up. It is still a foreign language.

Why must there be a need to allocate a score?

My point is that given that we made a decision to take a foreign language based on a very different policy, it should not be changed halfway through my child's primary school education to suddenly put her at a huge disadvantage.

As mentioned, if there is a loophole, moe should right it but not by changing the rules halfway. Had we known about this rule, we would not have proceeded with the foreign language. But now that she's in p3, it's too late to switch back. So we find ourselves caught in the unfortunate timing of the announcement and implementation. If she were just born 2 years earlier or later we wouldn't be in this situation.
Is the mother Singaporean?
maybe, the mother (a Chinese) marry ang mo. They just want their kido to "chiong" only 3 subjects at PSLE

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat- ... 94718.html

And, within those that are exempted from Chinese, there are 2 group, don't see eye to eye.

One group, is those that are in genuine plight, suffering learning disability: eg. Autism, hyper active attention deficit, dyslexic, etc

The other group, is those who are kids with no medical issue, but strangely, still can get exempted.

In the first case, how come these kids can be exempted, is something that Moe need to answer.

- Who inside Moe, allow them to be exempted ?

- and why allow them, to be exempted ?

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/petit ... sle-system
Last edited by phtthp on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by cherrygal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:30 pm

Dun understand why MOE can't force these foreigners to take up a standard mtl if they want to enter our public schools. They dug this hole themselves. But I'm glad MOE stuck to their guns.

Any unfairness should be nipped right away. I support MOE.
Last edited by cherrygal on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by cherrygal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 pm

In the ST article, MOE tells those affected they can retract the MTL exemption if they want a MTL score better than 6. Just speak to the MTL teachers.

I doubt any of them would give up their exemptions.

Davischew
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Davischew » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:01 am

Maybe we should leave the exempted pupils alone. It feels like too many arrows pointing to them. There are good cases of exemption since it is a thought through process for them.

Hendon
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Hendon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:25 am

Davischew wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:01 am
Maybe we should leave the exempted pupils alone. It feels like too many arrows pointing to them. There are good cases of exemption since it is a thought through process for them.
I sense that the present system is already fair. Just that the revelation of the precise implementation through AL assignment has highlighted the manner in which the system does this.

Rather than deal with the uncomfortable fact, starting a petition that will probably not go anywhere due to its narrow benefits to a few, and potentially creating a greater unfairness to the rest of the students (not exactly going to gain wide sympathy) is pointless.

I feel Singaporean children with no learning disabilities should NOT be exempted from MTL just because of mixed parentage. They are benefitting from the Singapore schools and will also compete in future for everything here. Now let’s be fair. MOE should remove this ability to obtain exemption for such cases.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by cherrygal » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:29 am

The updated one with AL6-8 allocation is fairer.

The current system (under T score) is pegged to peers. So when these kids w no medical reasons focus on 3 subjects, they are actually aiming 3A*. Their MTL grade is riding on what the other 3 A* kids can get for MTL. And usu if the peers are that brilliant, the MTL grade ain't far off.

Davischew
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Davischew » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:54 am

Hendon wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:25 am
Davischew wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:01 am
I sense that the present system is already fair. Just that the revelation of the precise implementation through AL assignment has highlighted the manner in which the system does this.

Rather than deal with the uncomfortable fact, starting a petition that will probably not go anywhere due to its narrow benefits to a few, and potentially creating a greater unfairness to the rest of the students (not exactly going to gain wide sympathy) is pointless.

I feel Singaporean children with no learning disabilities should NOT be exempted from MTL just because of mixed parentage. They are benefitting from the Singapore schools and will also compete in future for everything here. Now let’s be fair. MOE should remove this ability to obtain exemption for such cases.
There is no absolute fairness in anything. The best we can get is 80/20. There's bound to be a bunch of folks complaining even at the best situation, like winning toto at 8mil (free $$$ loh), but shit lah, need to share among 3 winners - Citizens should get more? PR should not get equal share? Foreigners shouldn't even be eligible?

We can just study the system and bring it to our advantage, like moving to <1km if possible, else be GRL, or PV, church. But we can also complain property price so high how to buy, GRL need to commit so much time.

Skip the fair/not fair and we might live longer lah.

tryourbest
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by tryourbest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:04 am

Agree that students with no learning disabilities should not be exempted from MTL. Simply having no interest in MTL is not a good enough reason to be exempted. There are many children who also have no interest in MTL , but no choice, still have to bite the bullet and try to achieve the best grade to their ability. All these doesn't come easy. Lots of hard work and tears. The time taken to brush up on MTL for these students also inevitably eats into their revision time for the other 3 subjects. Focusing on 3 vs 4 subjects makes a huge diff. Having a weaker subject also affects their opportunities to enter top elite schools. There's no easy way out. But at least they bother to try...

If a child has a learning disability, by all means be exempted to make the learning process a more pleasant one. But definitely unfair if the intention is for a normal , bright child aiming for 3 A* / 3 AL1 to enter elite schools.

There's really a big difference between taking a MTL which is examinable in all components - Oral, Compo, LC, Paper 2 vs a foreign language for leisure. Like one mother here puts it : " U don't know the pain until you have tried it."

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by floppy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:06 am

Hendon wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:25 am
I think the updated policies hit two groups of people.

1. People with learning challenges.
While AL6 (pegged to foundation subjects) is the highest, they aren’t being disadvantaged in pursuing an Express / G3 stream. They need only 3x AL5 or better because students in this range are going to score AL6 or better for their MTL (resulting in an imputed MTL score of AL6). I think it affects people’s sensibility for the blatant truth to be spelled out in policy but TBH it would be unrealistic to expect most of them to qualify for the top schools (~AL10), with or without the AL6 max limit. Nonetheless, if they turn out to be a savant, the DSA route would be the most logical and viable option.

2. Foreign language in lieu of MTL
TBF, I don’t see why having a mixed parentage or being a foreigner should exempt you from the terms of a public education. If policy says you must pick one of the 3 MTL, or for non-Tamil Indians, one of several other MTL, you just have to do it. If you don’t like what is being offered, private or international schools are available for a purpose. Lack of interest in a particular MTL should not be an accepted excuse. FYI there are several kids I know who are of Dutch, Jewish etc parentage (and not to mention the increasing number of Pinoy) taking HCL. Setting a max imputed score of AL6 as a compromise is probably not the best solution but is helpful in nudging people with no obvious disability back in line with the national policy on public education.