All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
Post Reply
phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 19770
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:248

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by phtthp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 am

coast wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:53 pm

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... t-from-mtl

Madam Wee, whose Primary 3 daughter is studying French, said: "I encouraged my daughter to take up Chinese in kindergarten and Primary 1. And I sent her for classes outside as well. But after one year of struggling in the subject, I realised that she is better off doing French. At least my British husband and I can help her with it."

She said that although there was a new scoring system in the works, she, like many parents, had thought that the MOE would not veer much from the current way of scoring.

"If I had known, I may have made a different decision and perhaps stuck with Chinese," she said.

She and several others are calling for the MOE to stick to the current scoring system for pupils already in primary school.

Said Madam Wee: "Such changes should not be dropped on students in the midst of their curriculum. If such a policy is to be introduced, it should commence from 2023 at the earliest, so that students and parents seeking exemption now have time to consider their options.
since Madam Wee herself is a Chinese and she married a British husband, plus her daughter NO medical issue background whatsoever, think some burning questions that have aroused public curiosity by now, raised eyebrow are

1)

Why did MOE in the first case, grant an exemption to her child, with an ENGLISH father and a CHINESE mother ?

Under what kind of circumstances (situation), was the exemption granted to Madam Wee's child, when right from the on-start, her child has NO medical issue, to begin with ?


2)

Why did MOE allow (approve) her child to take French in leu of Chinese Mother tongue, when French is Not even a language of this child's BRITISH father nor her CHINESE mother, to begin with ?
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hendon
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Apr 30,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Hendon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:57 am

‘The reason it's called mother tongue is because the passing down of customs, tradition and language of a people is majorly the duty of the mother and less of the father. ... Once a baby is born, it stays with the mother. The first words it hears and picks up are from the mother‘
Last edited by Hendon on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zappy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 16,
Total Likes:18

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Zappy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 am

Seems like the stress of PSLE is developing a mob mentality here mocking & belittling the petitioners.

While I do not fundamentally agree with them not taking MTL if there isn’t a disability-reason, I also do not know their exact circumstance or indeed what they have been told at the beginning.

The parents certainly have the right to petition MOE to review their cases and have done so. Additionally, based on the policies that have been cut-and-pasted from MOE FAQs, there was arguably indeed a change in policy or at least some ambiguity that “may” have led to them making a different decision. If that turns out to be not the case, then MOE will deal with it since they will get the full arguments/ information.

You may or may not agree with the parents’ intentions or the MOE policy. But there is no need to mock the kids for something that is likely not their decision - they have certainly committed no crime, either in not taking MTL or the fact that their parents are making an appeal.

Cloud Cloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Aug 28,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Cloud Cloud » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 am

I personally know of cases where parents are non chinese but the child still do chinese in school. Why did MOE allow a child with one chinese parent to be exempted from chinese. This is so unfair. Chinese is never an easy subject, at least for my elder child. Her PSLE t score was most likely affected by her chinese. Today? She is still struggling.

I now make sure I spend more time with my younger child to build a stronger foundation for Chinese.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7782
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:208

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by floppy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 am

Zappy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 am
Seems like the stress of PSLE is developing a mob mentality here mocking & belittling the petitioners.

While I do not fundamentally agree with them not taking MTL if there isn’t a disability-reason, I also do not know their exact circumstance or indeed what they have been told at the beginning.

The parents certainly have the right to petition MOE to review their cases and have done so. Additionally, based on the policies that have been cut-and-pasted from MOE FAQs, there was arguably indeed a change in policy or at least some ambiguity that “may” have led to them making a different decision. If that turns out to be not the case, then MOE will deal with it since they will get the full arguments/ information.

You may or may not agree with the parents’ intentions or the MOE policy. But there is no need to mock the kids for something that is likely not their decision - they have certainly committed no crime, either in not taking MTL or the fact that their parents are making an appeal.
I disagree with part of the petition.

Yes, I do think they have a case to seek a review and there are some merits to delay the implementation, depending on what was being said or told to them (if any). However, if it was a decision the parents have made, on the assumption that things would stay the same, considering that “the same” was never effectively communicated, then I’m not sure that there is a case.

The main grouse of the petitioners, unfortunately, seems to stem from the points being “pegged too low”. If it was pegged higher, say AL3 (?), that’s good? If was pegged at AL6, that’s bad? In other words, no one is complaining about the policy but the points is just too low for their liking. Sorry, can’t really agree with them on that.


slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11673
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:235

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 am

Zappy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 am
Seems like the stress of PSLE is developing a mob mentality here mocking & belittling the petitioners.

While I do not fundamentally agree with them not taking MTL if there isn’t a disability-reason, I also do not know their exact circumstance or indeed what they have been told at the beginning.

The parents certainly have the right to petition MOE to review their cases and have done so. Additionally, based on the policies that have been cut-and-pasted from MOE FAQs, there was arguably indeed a change in policy or at least some ambiguity that “may” have led to them making a different decision. If that turns out to be not the case, then MOE will deal with it since they will get the full arguments/ information.

You may or may not agree with the parents’ intentions or the MOE policy. But there is no need to mock the kids for something that is likely not their decision - they have certainly committed no crime, either in not taking MTL or the fact that their parents are making an appeal.
I agree. While there is nothing wrong with changing policies, MOE should consider those who are caught with the policies changing while they are in mid-stream. The parents made choices based on the policies at the time, and some choices cannot be reversed so easily. The merits of the new policies are a separate issue. And yes, I do agree that the tone of some of the posts reflects badly on those posters. Thankfully, they are a small, though vocal, minority here.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 11388
Joined: Mon Mar 22,
Total Likes:107

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by jtoh » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:32 am

lee_yl wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Under current tscore system, are there children exempted from MTL, who managed to get into IP via t-score? Are they assigned an imputed score (capped at 64% ) for MTL for exempted students?
Yes, I personally know of a few. A couple with learning disabilities and a couple of returning overseas students. They are otherwise bright students.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7831
Joined: Mon Jan 18,
Total Likes:128

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by lee_yl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:48 am

Image


Image

Can anyone enlighten me, under the current system, students with 3A* for EMS, exempted from MTL will be allocated a max 64% for MTL or like what this lady (whose letter was published on ST forum today) claims, her son’s classmate who was exempted from MTL, got A* for MTL.

I am really confused as MOE FQA states that allocation of MTL marks for exempted students under AL Banding will be “same approach” as under the current tscore.

If all along, max 64% is given to exempted students with 3A*, then I think there is nothing to argue about.

But if what the lady claimed is true, then from A* to AL6 (AL6 = 45% to 64%), I think the sudden change is very drastic and those children who are caught in the midst of these changes will be affected. And MOE FAQ becomes misleading.

Davischew
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Aug 07,

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Davischew » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 am

lee_yl wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:48 am
Image


Image

Can anyone enlighten me, under the current system, students with 3A* for EMS, exempted from MTL will be allocated a max 64% for MTL or like what this lady (whose letter was published on ST forum today) claims, her son’s classmate who was exempted from MTL, got A* for MTL.

I am really confused as MOE FQA states that allocation of MTL marks for exempted students under AL Banding will be “same approach” as under the current tscore.

If all along, max 64% is given to exempted students with 3A*, then I think there is nothing to argue about.

But if what the lady claimed is true, then from A* to AL6 (AL6 = 45% to 64%), I think the sudden change is very drastic and those children who are caught in the midst of these changes will be affected. And MOE FAQ becomes misleading.
The lady was wrong to assume "effectively will receive A*".
It must have pegged to similar EMS scores of other pupils.
Her statement was misleading.

Zappy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 16,
Total Likes:18

Re: All About PSLE AL Scoring System

Post by Zappy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:01 am

Davischew wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 am

The lady was wrong to assume "effectively will receive A*".
It must have pegged to similar EMS scores of other pupils.
Her statement was misleading.
I think she assumed that those who scored A* for EMS will also score A* for MTL, which is unlikely to be true for the entire cohort. But even the average of those 3A* EMS students should be overall higher than AL6-8.

Post Reply