All About Life Without Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

I am

Much happier without my maid
89%
Missing my maid
11%

Total votes: 473

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:166

Re: All About Life Without Maids

Post by zac's mum » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

How old are your kids? IMO any kid above 2 years old can be trained to fold their own clothes. Take a look at this easy cardboard hack created by a resourceful mummy:

https://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/teach-k ... -hack.html

In my household, I use a good washing machine dryer. I don’t need to hang the clothes at all. When the dry clothes are ready, I dump them into a big basket, then announce “family clothes distribution time!!!”

Everybody comes to grab their own clothes from that basket. We keep it fun. Then we sit down next to each other to fold. Then we go to our separate rooms to put them into their respective drawers. Done in 10 minutes.

mondecoinmetier
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by mondecoinmetier » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Hahaha interesting topic! I do not have a maid. I am the maid in this household. I am the bao ka liao maid that replenish grocery, cook, wash dishes, wash clothes and vacuum the floor. I watch my kids grow up with a little help from a good babysitter for a few years. Then became the SAHM for 8 years now. Wow! Time flies! I am starting to look like a maid even! Hahaha...

missyqiqi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by missyqiqi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:43 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm
How old are your kids? IMO any kid above 2 years old can be trained to fold their own clothes. Take a look at this easy cardboard hack created by a resourceful mummy:

https://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/teach-k ... -hack.html

In my household, I use a good washing machine dryer. I don’t need to hang the clothes at all. When the dry clothes are ready, I dump them into a big basket, then announce “family clothes distribution time!!!”

Everybody comes to grab their own clothes from that basket. We keep it fun. Then we sit down next to each other to fold. Then we go to our separate rooms to put them into their respective drawers. Done in 10 minutes.
My kids are 8 and 5. Tried to teach them once, fold half way and give up. I think they are so used to helper previously.
Thanks for the link! Will check it out.

nice looks fun! maybe I should try this method. :P

missyqiqi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by missyqiqi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 pm

mondecoinmetier wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:23 pm
Hahaha interesting topic! I do not have a maid. I am the maid in this household. I am the bao ka liao maid that replenish grocery, cook, wash dishes, wash clothes and vacuum the floor. I watch my kids grow up with a little help from a good babysitter for a few years. Then became the SAHM for 8 years now. Wow! Time flies! I am starting to look like a maid even! Hahaha...
Ahyo, doll up!! Not for your hubby but for yourself. But not easy for 8 years. Salute you.

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:29

Post by peasants » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:11 am

No maid ever. Not even 陪月, or SAHM, SAHD. The girls went infant/child/student care then Library/Starbucks. House chores really depends on day to day allocation thru negotiation within the family. Downside is probably less home cooked food.

Ella455
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Ella455 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:06 am

Living under one roof is not that easy, especially when there are cultural differences and possibly language barriers. We used to have a maid with us but we realized life without maid is so much better..

mondecoinmetier
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by mondecoinmetier » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:36 am

Ella455 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:06 am
Living under one roof is not that easy, especially when there are cultural differences and possibly language barriers. We used to have a maid with us but we realized life without maid is so much better..
I agree with you. Though I do not have a maid, I have seen cases that not having one makes life way much more easier. The language barrier is one difficult one coz it will drive you crazy when things are not done the way you want it. End of the day, you hired a maid to help you but it isn't really helping you much but add more stress to what you currently have. I have a friend who used to have a maid. Instead of the maid cooking for her, she end up cooking for the maid instead. Half the time the maid don't even do anything for her and only drive her crazy. In the end, she send maid away and she is more happier now even though have to do things by herself.

accamm13
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by accamm13 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:42 am

need tips / reccomendations..

i recently bought a front load Samsung eco bubble washer, and i realise i not really sure how to maximize its features! always been using a top load, so i would like tips for front load? and also if anyoen knows this model perhaps can tell me things like if every day clothing and uniforms type, which setting to use best?

also, any recommendation for front load detergent?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:166

Post by zac's mum » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:33 am

accamm13 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:42 am
need tips / reccomendations..

i recently bought a front load Samsung eco bubble washer, and i realise i not really sure how to maximize its features! always been using a top load, so i would like tips for front load? and also if anyoen knows this model perhaps can tell me things like if every day clothing and uniforms type, which setting to use best?

also, any recommendation for front load detergent?
I don’t use this model so I can’t advise.

But for front load detergent, my landlord warned me to use only those that specify “low suds”. What happened was that the previous tenant did not, and all the copious amounts of foam suds generated by the washed all leaked out onto the floor, damaging both the washer and the surrounding cabinets!

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:138

Post by janet88 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:48 am

my mum employed a maid to help her with the cleaning. she did not have one for many years...using a part time instead, but you know these come and leave after 5 hours, once a week.

the myanmar maid picked up quite fast.
when facing the 2 old folks, she appeared obedient. just 1 week at my place, she exposed her true colours. last night, I managed to find 2 selfies of her with full make up and dressed up like a peacock. they were taken at parents' place. I forwarded the pics to the agency.

having a maid is to help with housework...instead, she is the start of problems.
when mum thought of getting a replacement, the costs of a new risk came up to $780 and chunk of this amount goes to MOM.