Supermarkets in talks to charge for plastic bags

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:336

Re: Supermarkets in talks to charge for plastic bags

Post by Funz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:09 am

What do you use for bagging rubbish, especially food scraps if not plastic bags?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:245

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:37 am

Funz wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:09 am
What do you use for bagging rubbish, especially food scraps if not plastic bags?
I think we cannot run away from using plastic bags. But the argument is that there are far too many being handed out these days, more than are really needed. Also, I think many families don't need the full-size supermarket bags for rubbish every day and could use smaller ones, or reuse bread bags, produce bags etc instead. In countries where plastic bags are not handed out free, most people buy rolls of trash bags from supermarkets (which would cost less than the 10 cents per bag NTUC proposes to charge). This has the benefit of people being able to use thinner bags of the appropriate size for their needs which reduces the amount of materials consumed. Mainly, if everyone would just reduce their use as far as possible (not necessarily to zero), that would really help.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by MrsKiasu » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:39 am

cook lesser, less wastages, can scrap the rice cooker to last grain of rice, the wok for all gravy.. sun dry orange peel/don't peel fruits skin, can eat them all. use egg shells to ward off insects. keep the cans/containers with lids to keep the wet thrash and throw them only when all filled up to the brim..I am just half joking..

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Post by starlight1968sg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 am

If you buy a burger, you get a paper bag. You can use the paper bag to contain thrash.
If you buy a big pack of say instant coffee powder, oats etc, that big packaging can be used to contain thrash.
If you buy a 5kg rice, the packaging can be used to contain thrash.

Am I crazy?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:138

Post by janet88 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:14 am

starlight1968sg wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 am
If you buy a burger, you get a paper bag. You can use the paper bag to contain thrash.
If you buy a big pack of say instant coffee powder, oats etc, that big packaging can be used to contain thrash.
If you buy a 5kg rice, the packaging can be used to contain thrash.

Am I crazy?
no you are not kidding. it makes sense.
the plastic packaging for rice is rather thick, so it makes sense to reuse.
even the plastic packaging used for my ah chek coffee powder can be reused to be put at the sink to throw food scraps from the sink.
my concern is when supermarkets start to charge money for plastic bags and people are not willing to pay, will they throw rubbish directly into the chute? :sick:

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Post by starlight1968sg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:20 am

janet88 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:14 am
my concern is when supermarkets start to charge money for plastic bags and people are not willing to pay, will they throw rubbish directly into the chute? :sick:
This is a valid concern. And the next will be to increase the monthly rubbish chute collection fee :roll:

hb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by hb » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:36 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:37 am
Funz wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:09 am
I think we cannot run away from using plastic bags. But the argument is that there are far too many being handed out these days, more than are really needed. Also, I think many families don't need the full-size supermarket bags for rubbish every day and could use smaller ones, or reuse bread bags, produce bags etc instead. In countries where plastic bags are not handed out free, most people buy rolls of trash bags from supermarkets (which would cost less than the 10 cents per bag NTUC proposes to charge). This has the benefit of people being able to use thinner bags of the appropriate size for their needs which reduces the amount of materials consumed. Mainly, if everyone would just reduce their use as far as possible (not necessarily to zero), that would really help.
I guess it would reduce the amt of material consumed if the bags came in different sizes and people used the appropriate size - but then I already use different sizes of free plastic bags for different needs. I'm not sure having to buy plastic bags (esp if they're v cheap) rather than use free plastic bags would really cut down the total amt of plastic consumed. That would require different garbage disposal methods I think - e.g. in-sink food disposal to reduce the need for plastic bags to throw away food waste.

The thing I need plastic bags most for is diapers! Though I guess there are always cloth diapers, like in the old days.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:138

Post by janet88 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:40 am

for ikea, it was easy to implement the charge for plastic bags because it is selling furniture. even if I forget to bring a bag, I can hand carry the hangers or lamp shade...but for supermarkets, I would need to have a bag to carry the tray of eggs or pork.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:167

Post by zac's mum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:50 am

I watched a program on Channel U recently. They showed that in South Korea, the supermarkets provide free cardboard cartons/boxes for customers to pack their groceries in and carry home. (They charge for plastic bags) That’s very smart re-use of the thousands of boxes that the supermarkets have in large supply...

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:336

Post by Funz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:59 am

I've been reusing most of the plastic packaging like what some suggested. For me the chute is just in my backyard so for dry refuse, we can just throw it directly down the chute. For vege scraps, I use newspapers to wrap them up and throw them down the chute. Egg shells are precious to me as I make them into calcium supplements for my dog and my garden. Other wet stuff, especially like seafood and meat refuse, no choice gotta use plastic bags. I've been buying the supposedly biodegradable bin liners from NTUC but I am not sure how truly biodegradable are they.

For raw food storage, plastic bags are still the most convenient and space saving. Instead of throwing them away, I wash, dry and reuse them. But I do wonder if I am wasting water instead :sweat: and not to mention that there is just this many times you can reuse them. I also wonder how environmentally friendly would it be if I were to use baking paper to wrap up raw food for freezing.