Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
tmslum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Recreational Swimming

Post by tmslum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:41 am

yanyantan wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:59 pm
after how long can your kids swim on their own after attending swimming classes weekly? My 2nd one been learning for nearly 1 year and still can't swim on his own. somemore his is one to one. Last time my older one can do it within 6 months. getting worried and asked coach but he says every child is different.
Yes, every child is different. But if 1 year still cannot swim, it just goes to show the coach is lousy.
I have seen a few coaches who have students who are 5+ yrs old & 10 yrs old and extremely phobia of water but are able to swim in 3-4 months & get Silver certificate in 1 yr 6 months respectively. And the 10 yrs old kid can swim efficiently.

tmslum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by tmslum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:57 am

doraxmon wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm
any review about toa payoh safra fins swim school? i'm thinking of starting lessons for my son (5.5 years) but so far unable to get a timeslot there.
Try not to enrol your child with Swim Schools. They usually have big classes and hire random coaches, which do not provide an environment for your child to learn efficiently. Especially those swimming coaches and swim schools who print their own Name & Contacts on their own swim caps and give away as advertising gimmick.
Most swim schools only have one main interest, making money out of parents who are ignorant about swimming. So my advice is to go to the pool a few times and observe the coaches who are teaching swimming.

ptb7476
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by ptb7476 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Looking for a good coach for my kids at Hougang Swimming pool . Any recommendation ?

Sheena8
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Sheena8 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:02 am

We are looking for a swimming coach for 15 and 9-year-old kids within the Singapura area. Please recommend if you know one. Thanks!

Irispeck
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Irispeck » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:44 pm

hi, I have a 5 years old daughter. She was having private swimming lesson but starting to get bored learning alone.
Any kids stay near marine parade wanna learn together at (cote dazur condo) with her please let me know. Her coach is very patient, caring and responsible.

Anyone looking for good swimming coach can pm me too.

tmslum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by tmslum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:06 am

To all parents who are looking for a coach to let their children learn swimming.

DO NOT CALL UP any random swimming pools to enquire for a coach. Most probably the staffs in the office will recommend their own lifeguards or friends who are coaches to recommend them to your kids.
And these people are mostly not quality coaches who cannot deliver what your child needs.

These coaches are only in for the money and cannot deliver quality coaching because they are buddy with the staffs at the pool OR because the staffs get a commission for every child recommended.

So I would suggest to all parents. BEWARE! Go down to the pool and monitor how the coaches conduct a lesson before you sign up with the coach.

yzdalex
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by yzdalex » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:35 am

Hello everyone! I’m Alex Yao and I’m looking to impart my swimming knowledge to children. I am offering private coaching at condos in the west. Below are my credentials. Please contact me @ 94239996 for more information.

Credentials

1) 7 years of swimming coach experience.

2) Currently teaching at ACJC, APS Swim School “Learn to Swim” program on Sunday mornings.

3) CPR and AED certified.

My Teaching Philosophy

I strongly believe that every child can and should learn to swim. Over the years of coaching, I've developed different teaching strategies to help various learning abilities. I'm always upgrading myself to equip myself with better teaching pedagogy. Do contact me for rates! Thanks! (:

AfterClaz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by AfterClaz » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:27 pm

Hi all, just want to hear what you think of my kids’ swimming progress, any constructive comments or advice is welcome.

My DD1 is turning 7 next year, my DS1 is turning 4. Both have hated washing their hair since young, so getting their heads under water is an absolute, impossible chore.

We engaged a pte swim coach for my 2 kids for the past 15 months and til today, they still require noodles and cannot do any strokes at all.

We pay $320 a month and I realized we’ve spent $4800 so far, for them to be swimming around using noodles.

The coach only just started them on the freestyle strokes and it seems like forever before they will be able to swim.

My ONLY aim is for them to be water safe. I have no expectation for them to become competitive swimmers.

Should I change my coach? Or is it normal for kids who hate water to take so long to be water safe?

Feeling like I need to make a decision rather than to continue burning more money! And if I should change my coach, where to find someone that can reliably help them be water safe asap?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by zac's mum » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:06 am

AfterClaz wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:27 pm
Hi all, just want to hear what you think of my kids’ swimming progress, any constructive comments or advice is welcome.

My DD1 is turning 7 next year, my DS1 is turning 4. Both have hated washing their hair since young, so getting their heads under water is an absolute, impossible chore.

We engaged a pte swim coach for my 2 kids for the past 15 months and til today, they still require noodles and cannot do any strokes at all.

We pay $320 a month and I realized we’ve spent $4800 so far, for them to be swimming around using noodles.

The coach only just started them on the freestyle strokes and it seems like forever before they will be able to swim.

My ONLY aim is for them to be water safe. I have no expectation for them to become competitive swimmers.

Should I change my coach? Or is it normal for kids who hate water to take so long to be water safe?

Feeling like I need to make a decision rather than to continue burning more money! And if I should change my coach, where to find someone that can reliably help them be water safe asap?
Cringe...do u mean to say that the Coach has not managed to persuade them to put their heads under water yet??! That’s a pretty inexperienced coach to be frank!

I’m just sharing my own experience with my son...hope it helps...I’m not saying go to this same swim school (Swimfast), because I don’t even know if the same coaches are there or if the management is still running it the same way. It’s been years since my DS completed the course (all 4 strokes) and graduated. I’m a happy customer but the important thing is, I’m sharing how the coaches got it done. I had similar goals as you, DS was similarly terrified of water in the same way (hated washing hair etc).

DS started at age 4 or 5, can’t remember which. The kindergarten kids learnt in a pool that is ~0.9m deep. This depth is important. It is just slightly deeper than the kids’ own height. My kid is a logical person. Coach explained simply, if u happen to fall into this pool, the water will be just slightly above the top of your head. The floor will be slightly below your feet only. Just give the floor a strong kick and your head can bounce above the water and you can breathe again.

First lesson, Coach asks the kids to sit their butt firmly on the ledge of the pool, dangle their legs in the water. Kick the water. DS not afraid of this.

Next step, coach teaches the kids how to safely get into the pool. Turn the body around, grip the edge of the wall with both hands, lower the legs into the pool. Hands keep gripping the wall. Child may start to hyperventilate. Needs encouragement. Don’t worry etc. Keep gripping with strong hands. Lean the stomach & upper body over the corner wall. The upper body is leaning outside the pool, as flat as they want. Lower body is in the water. Coach may need to support the body if kid is afraid of falling into the water. Legs kick.

Next exercise: from sitting on the edge position, turn body & hands grip the wall like above. This time, don’t lean upper body but put the lower body vertically into the pool. Arms still grip the wall. Feet will not be able to touch the floor but don’t panic. Practice a few times, going in and also safely climbing out with leg strength. Good arm and leg strength is needed. Coach may need to support the body especially for preschoolers.

Next step: blowing bubbles in the water. Still gripping the wall. Only need to put your mouth in the water. Nose still above water. Needs encouragement. Mouth only. Blow out. Bubbles. For one second or how long they dare. Don’t push beyond their comfort level. Encourage. Still gripping the wall so they don’t worry about dropping into the water.

The next step (needs goggles): still gripping the wall & never let go, take a deep breath, lower whole head into the water, blow out bubbles quickly and then come up. Coach demonstrates first. Talk the kid through the process if they have any doubt. The key thing is when you’re blowing out bubbles, water will not go into your nose or mouth. Extend the time underwater bit by bit...ask the kid to blow 3 seconds, then 5 seconds worth of bubbles. Come up when they run out of bubbles.

And the next step: time to let go of the wall when you go down to blow bubbles. Legs get ready to kick the floor, hard. Show me you can bounce up like a spring. Then extend the time between the arms letting go and legs kicking.

Voila - that was how the coaches at Swimfast managed to train my son to be water safe. That is the key thing about being water safe. Knowing what to do to keep from drowning (blow out bubbles, kick their way to the top). It is NOT the strokes at all. I think many coaches misunderstand this basic fundamental. Heck, even as a parent who can swim, I didn’t even know this key thing. Until i had a child who was terrified of water lor. And I witnessed the experiences coaches teach my boy step by step until he was not afraid any more.

I won’t go into the further details about the 4 strokes after that. He completed all 4 (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly) in the next few years. He took longer than the non-scaredy, “water baby” kids, is still a bit afraid of the floor of the 2m adult pool that they eventually did their test in, but he got it done & I’m satisfied he won’t drown whenever he goes swimming (not often but there are playdates etc).

I also spent a lot of money on those strokes classes but that was a bonus of being able to propel the body lah. He is absolutely water safe from the start because of the initial training.

I hope you can find a coach that can teach this way. Obviously the current one isn’t meeting your goal. If either you or your spouse can swim, you can even teach like above.

Sorry for the long post. Just sharing what I learnt from watching my son’s lessons.

AfterClaz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by AfterClaz » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Thank u so much for your comments. Yes, u echo my exact sentiments! I thought the same thing! I don’t recall myself taking this long and still be anxious in the water! The kicking to be water safe in pools is exactly what is missing.

I don’t even care if they can only do breaststroke tbh. I just want them to enjoy time in the pool, swimming and be safe.

The coach wants to split the time evenly btw both kids to see if that helps. But from what I see, he’s using noodles, and board to help them “float”, I honestly don’t see where this is going.

Thanks for the recommendation, I’d check out Swimfast. 🙏🏻