NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
Username123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (Diploma)

Post by Username123 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:51 pm

Hi all, I will like to ask how many electives is too much for the average student. Also, what subjects can be accelerated? Thanks for answering.

p1nk1e
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by p1nk1e » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:21 am

Wondering if anyone can share - what kinda school results will stand a chance in DSA? My DS school results isn’t fantastic, especially the languages 😓

dyh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by dyh » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:09 pm

p1nk1e wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:21 am
Wondering if anyone can share - what kinda school results will stand a chance in DSA? My DS school results isn’t fantastic, especially the languages 😓
School results are not that relevant.
Anyone can apply to their DSA and sit for the screening test.

p1nk1e
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by p1nk1e » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:12 pm

So can I say that it’s more of the screening and interview/camp i.e. his aptitude? Anyone who applies gets to sit for the test?
I didn’t send him to any preparatory courses but he’s really very into Science and wants to get in badly 🤣

dyh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by dyh » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:50 pm

p1nk1e wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:12 pm
So can I say that it’s more of the screening and interview/camp i.e. his aptitude? Anyone who applies gets to sit for the test?
I didn’t send him to any preparatory courses but he’s really very into Science and wants to get in badly 🤣
That's correct. If I remember correctly, anyone who applied can sit for the screening test. Usually the science paper is more difficult, so your son may have a good chance. :)

p1nk1e
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by p1nk1e » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:12 pm

Oh he’s interested, but good or not I dunno la 🤣
The papers are like Math, Science and English I suppose?

Thanks so much for answering my Qs... I’m like 临时抱佛脚 now cos my DS hasn’t been doing well in school so I’m starting to panic 😔

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:7

Post by dagong99 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Username123 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:51 pm
Hi all, I will like to ask how many electives is too much for the average student. Also, what subjects can be accelerated? Thanks for answering.
The max you can take is up to 2 as the time table permits max 2 electives time slot, although there are students who "apply" for Independent Study to take more. So I would say 2 is just nice.

Common subjects for acceleration are Math (diagnostic tests usually taken before you join NUSH), CS, Chem (usually 4 per cohort) & Physics (limited few). The latter 2 are usually by teacher recommendations for those with consistent results.

Username123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Username123 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:27 pm

dagong99 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:29 pm
Username123 wrote:
The max you can take is up to 2 as the time table permits max 2 electives time slot, although there are students who "apply" for Independent Study to take more. So I would say 2 is just nice.

Common subjects for acceleration are Math (diagnostic tests usually taken before you join NUSH), CS, Chem (usually 4 per cohort) & Physics (limited few). The latter 2 are usually by teacher recommendations for those with consistent results.
Ah I see, thank you for your help. However, I will also like to know when the acceleration tests take place. In Y1 sem 2, Y2 sem 1 or what?

abhcbl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by abhcbl » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:42 pm

Username123 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:27 pm
dagong99 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:29 pm
Username123 wrote:

Ah I see, thank you for your help. However, I will also like to know when the acceleration tests take place. In Y1 sem 2, Y2 sem 1 or what?
There is a lot of commitment for acceleration too... need minimum an A- to maintain in the accelerated module. Don’t think there are any Y1 students last year being offered CS, Physics or Chem acceleration. There are some pull out classes for a few kids, and similarly needs A- to be continued in the pull out class ... some may convert to be in the acceleration class in Y2. For CS, Physics, and Chem, there are a few students who are accelerated for the respective Olympiad module (I.e. took the Y2 elective module while in Y1, but only happens in the 2nd semester).

MDpharma
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by MDpharma » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:58 pm

Hi pls pm me the details for parents whatsapp group. My child is in class 106