IP vs O level

Unlike entry to Primary Schools, admission into Secondary Schools is based on meritocracy. PSLE results are used as key admission criteria. Discuss everything related to PSLE and selection of Secondary Schools here.
MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:42

Re: IP vs O level

Post by MyPillow » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:52 pm

Unless for target practice purposes in past yr O level papers is good to expose IP students to the variety of qn Cambridge set - Cambridge must have certain standard lah, local exam why must compare to Intl Cambridge exam board ?
practice O papers with no stress no target no moderations - My ds class also can get a lot of As too , 7 to 8/9 As but actual O level results differ lor . His sch started O level papers in sec 3, and kids always say easy in sec 3! No stress mah , just treat O papers as hw to do ! Complacent attitude then .
Like I said a lot of exam factors , fr paper 1 to paper 3, the interval can be one month plus ! Rigour for some kids gone Liao , the National exam O level candidates is 24409 students - Not 249 students - Must really applause the 7 A1s and above students - excellent result ! Resilient n diligent attitude . Got potential too :)

Changyingchen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Changyingchen » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:25 pm

I think O level is more advance than IP. You just have to know how much is the skill of your child. If you think he can handle O then it should be a good choice.

Grr_roxy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Grr_roxy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:59 am

Hi,

Can I find out from experienced parents here how your kids studied for Y3/Y4 IP Sciences? In Y1 and Y2, you can still find Integrated assessment books. But come to Y3/Y4, can’t find such books anymore. Is doing TYS even sufficient? I find that the downside of IP is we don’t know what is exactly tested In IP. And whether it will be the same as O levels. If they are trying to stretch those IP kids, where to find challenging materials?

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by Serendipity » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:28 am

Changyingchen wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:25 pm
I think O level is more advance than IP. You just have to know how much is the skill of your child. If you think he can handle O then it should be a good choice.
Could you share more on why you think O level is more advanced than IP?

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:42

Post by MyPillow » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:37 am

Grr_roxy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:59 am
Hi,

Can I find out from experienced parents here how your kids studied for Y3/Y4 IP Sciences? In Y1 and Y2, you can still find Integrated assessment books. But come to Y3/Y4, can’t find such books anymore. Is doing TYS even sufficient? I find that the downside of IP is we don’t know what is exactly tested In IP. And whether it will be the same as O levels. If they are trying to stretch those IP kids, where to find challenging materials?

My kid is on OP then join a IP JC - he finds the content/ knowledge equi bet OP & IP kids- What he accquired in OP not much diff fr his IP class mates . afteralll their common syllabus aim - ie GCE A level

maybe IP did not differntiate out like sec 3 & sec 4 materials yet - thus u feel a bit lost now - BUT just refer to O level maetrials / TYS or even as high as A level stuff ( for advanced IP kids) should be right track/direction

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:241

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:55 am

Grr_roxy wrote:
Hi,

TYS and school materials should give a good idea of what type of questions will be posed, but there will always be different ways of asking students to apply their knowledge. The important thing is for them to get out of the "the only way to study is to drill" mindset - your child should make sure he really understands the principles, so that no matter what questions are asked, even if he's never seen them before, he should be able to think through the question and give a decent answer. That is the stretching - to use knowledge and apply it. One of the upsides of IP is that the student doesn't really know what might come out in the exam and so learns to think on his feet.

Grr_roxy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Grr_roxy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:40 am

MyPillow wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:37 am
Grr_roxy wrote:
Hi,

My kid is on OP then join a IP JC - he finds the content/ knowledge equi bet OP & IP kids- What he accquired in OP not much diff fr his IP class mates . afteralll their common syllabus aim - ie GCE A level

maybe IP did not differntiate out like sec 3 & sec 4 materials yet - thus u feel a bit lost now - BUT just refer to O level maetrials / TYS or even as high as A level stuff ( for advanced IP kids) should be right track/direction
That is what I thought so too. As in, whether you are OP or IP, you will end up taking GCE A level which should be the same ultimately. But OP syllabus are much more straight forward and we can find a lot of materials in the bookstore. But not for IP today.
A lot of comparison is only talking about taking O level and not taking O level. But the content and how the kids are tested are not properly spelled out, especially so when different IP schools run their IP program differently. But when comes to Y3, I thought that it should roughly be the same since everyone is taking similar subject combi? That is just my guess. Have bought TYS but wondering if this is sufficient for them.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:296

Post by phtthp » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Grr_roxy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:40 am
MyPillow wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:37 am
Grr_roxy wrote:
Hi,

That is what I thought so too. As in, whether you are OP or IP, you will end up taking GCE A level which should be the same ultimately. But OP syllabus are much more straight forward and we can find a lot of materials in the bookstore. But not for IP today.

A lot of comparison is only talking about taking O level and not taking O level. But the content and how the kids are tested are not properly spelled out, especially so when different IP schools run their IP program differently. But when comes to Y3, I thought that it should roughly be the same since everyone is taking similar subject combi? That is just my guess. Have bought TYS but wondering if this is sufficient for them.
suggest u take a look, at your IP school's sample Y3 and Y4 exam papers

borrow from seniors around, zapped their past years' Y3 and Y4 IP papers, if your school library doesn't store any exam paper

once u see past year papers, u will know what content they going to test, will know roughly what or how to study, to prepare. One year definitely not enough to see the pattern. But if can get hold of past 3 to 5 years' past exam papers, should be able to spot or see some pattern. eg. those FAQ basic questions, often tested

as for project, every IP school's projects assignments all different
Every IP school curriculum, weightage apportionment per subject, exam marking scheme, are different.
Some IP schools use MSG scoring system to compute their results to decide whether to promote or retain students or automatic push-up students to next level.
Other IP schools used GPA score system, while the balance IP schools neither used any MSG nor GPA scoring system, so cannot compare apple to orange

for Y3 and Y3 Pure Science -
all IP-A-level bound + O-level Express stream Secondary schools used the same Standard textbook, by publisher Marshall Cavendish

Physics Matters
Chemistry Matters
Biology Matters

if Not IP-A-level bound, but IB, students in Y3 and Y4,
students may use another set of different Science textbook recommended by their own IB school
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MerlionInGermany
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:27

Post by MerlionInGermany » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Grr_roxy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:40 am
Topics to be covered should be clearly stated in the subject scheme of work.
Topics to be tested should be clearly stated in the exam scope.
Like you have said, both IP and OP take the same A level exam with the same scope, so they should be taught the same thing, did you observe that it is different? Because from what I have observed so far, the content is the same, maybe just the sequence of topics if different.

Were you not able to use the o level materials for IP? Why is that so?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:84

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Grr_roxy wrote:
Hi,

Don’t buy TYS O level. The exam styles maybe different from your kid’s school exams so it is a waste of time to do TYS O level. Ask your kid to photocopy his/her school’s past year papers from the library and practice those. It is more than sufficient.