Plan of career path for your children

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by lizawa » Fri May 08, 2009 5:55 pm

daisyt wrote:Any parent can give some feedback about Bicultural programe ? What is your opinions about this programe and the career path ?

It consists of
* Biculturalism, Language and Culture in Society
* Research Methods
* Chinese Studies
* Chinese Culture
* Literature and Language with Translation
Hi daisyt,

Do you know if you take up the scholarship, the child cannot drop Chinese in JC ? This is what I heard from a friend whose daughter has been selected for this programme.

I think the child must really have a strong interest in Chinese (not only the language but the culture, history etc) to do this programme and a strong command of the language to do well.

If your child is effectively bilingual, this programme should enhance her career opportunities, in my opinion.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Post by phankao » Fri May 08, 2009 8:23 pm

lizawa wrote:
phankao wrote:[
I think the most important is still interest. And aptitude?

Our 15yo doesn't have all that much idea what she wants to do either. So she selected her combination for sec 3 based on her ability/interest.
Hi phankao,

So is your daughter happy with her decision ?
I do believe she chose the subject combination that best suit her ability. That's the wisest choice. I mean, gee...she can't be choosing to do Physics when she has no aptitude for it, right? It's better for a child to do subjects that they like and can excel in than to do a bunch of subjects that they think they "should do" but end up with mediocre grades in instead.

My daughter chose subject combo Pure Bio, Pure Chem with Geography. That's about all the flexibility they have. Other subjects like Double Maths (E & A math) and English Literature are compulsory for all subject combinations in her school, , and not electives. Sad, huh? She's actually not a natural at English Literature, so trying very hard to break out of just surviving that subject.

This is unlike at the boys' school - altho' our boys are still in pri school only. Their sec school section allows any combination of subjects, lor. Quite tricky for the school since that means they have multitudes of subject combos.

Mandarin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Mandarin » Tue May 12, 2009 11:08 pm

I am thinking that we should perhaps refrain from associating choosing subject combination to career path. With the world changing at such rapid pace, one can never know if the various career options as we know today will still exist in the near future. It is therefore more important to me that my kids learn how to learn and how to use what they learn than the actual knowledge. Eventually, it is wisdom and not knowledge that will help us to achieve life's goals.

The various subject combination is just a means to an end. The process is therefore more important than the results, I feel that the kids should choose what they are passionate about at that point in time and carry on from there. There is no end to the possibility that they might change their interest the next day or the next year, we just have to make the best decisions based on the known facts.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:4

Post by csc » Wed May 13, 2009 8:54 am

Mandarin wrote:I am thinking that we should perhaps refrain from associating choosing subject combination to career path. With the world changing at such rapid pace, one can never know if the various career options as we know today will still exist in the near future. It is therefore more important to me that my kids learn how to learn and how to use what they learn than the actual knowledge. Eventually, it is wisdom and not knowledge that will help us to achieve life's goals.

The various subject combination is just a means to an end. The process is therefore more important than the results, I feel that the kids should choose what they are passionate about at that point in time and carry on from there. There is no end to the possibility that they might change their interest the next day or the next year, we just have to make the best decisions based on the known facts.
You are right, Mandarin...

I was in the Science stream but ended up doing Biz Admin in the Uni and then landed in a job which has nothing to do with biz at all.

However, the principles and skills taught did give me certain advantage in my job.
:roll:

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Post by phankao » Wed May 13, 2009 9:47 am

csc wrote:
Mandarin wrote: The various subject combination is just a means to an end. The process is therefore more important than the results, I feel that the kids should choose what they are passionate about at that point in time and carry on from there. There is no end to the possibility that they might change their interest the next day or the next year, we just have to make the best decisions based on the known facts.
I was in the Science stream but ended up doing Biz Admin in the Uni and then landed in a job which has nothing to do with biz at all.

However, the principles and skills taught did give me certain advantage in my job.
:roll:
But...the subject combinations are the reality. You most likely won't hv combos like business or engineering etc etc when you are choosing your subjt comb in sec 2 nor when you go to jc. So the best is for the child to choose according to his/her interest/ability. It is still better to do that bc in all likelihood, the child will work hard and do well in subjects that they ARE interested in. Hopefully this will help in their future career. but if not, it'd still be ok. A "report card' that shows good results will still be better than one that shows "highbrow" subjects but poor results. And good results will open more doors and allow the child more choices.

A sec 2 child, really may not have any idea what "career" he/she may want...no point forcing them to chose at that age.

I did pure triple science until A-levels. So what? Yeah, I did bizad in the univ - also, so what? Just training of the mind, I find. bc I am running my own biz after a banking career which I didn't foresee myself doing for the long run in the end! So much for choosing the "correct" subjects, right? It doesn't quite matter, lah.

But yeah, if the child wants to be a doctor, and doesn't take Biology, then he/she probably cannot go into medical school. But...if that child is not very good in biology in the 1st place....shouldn't think of taking that subject, much less go to medical school ! That's why i say ... let them choose the subjects that they are good in.

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kohjl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:48 pm

phankao wrote:
But yeah, if the child wants to be a doctor, and doesn't take Biology, then he/she probably cannot go into medical school. But...if that child is not very good in biology in the 1st place....shouldn't think of taking that subject, much less go to medical school ! That's why i say ... let them choose the subjects that they are good in.
From the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine in NUS:
"What subject combination must I have?
To be eligible for Medicine, candidates must have Chemistry at 'A' level and either Biology or Physics in addition to Chemistry. The 'triple science' combination is no longer required for Medicine, and candidates who present the 'triple science' have no advantage in the admissions process. "

So CHEMISTRY is the absolute necessary subject in order to study medicine; not Biology....for the info of all aspiring doctors out there....

But I get phankao's point, which is, choose the subjects that you are good in. I fully agree with that.

Interest in the subject is very important too. My eldest son who is in RI (Sec 4), chose the combination of Chemistry, Physics and Geog. Maths is a compulsory subject. He is doing Chem and Geog at the harder RA (Raffles Academy) level and he chose to do these subjects out of pure interest - so that's what keeps him going when the workload gets really heavy.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Fairy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:27 pm

kohjl wrote:
phankao wrote:
From the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine in NUS:
"What subject combination must I have?
To be eligible for Medicine, candidates must have Chemistry at 'A' level and either Biology or Physics in addition to Chemistry. The 'triple science' combination is no longer required for Medicine, and candidates who present the 'triple science' have no advantage in the admissions process. "

So CHEMISTRY is the absolute necessary subject in order to study medicine; not Biology....for the info of all aspiring doctors out there....

But I get phankao's point, which is, choose the subjects that you are good in. I fully agree with that.

Interest in the subject is very important too. My eldest son who is in RI (Sec 4), chose the combination of Chemistry, Physics and Geog. Maths is a compulsory subject. He is doing Chem and Geog at the harder RA (Raffles Academy) level and he chose to do these subjects out of pure interest - so that's what keeps him going when the workload gets really heavy.
Wow, he must be really good at them to get selected for the RA Programme. Btw, can you share with us how your son cope with the heavy workload and jam-packed schedule of a Rafflesian? My son is in Sec1 and already, his June holiday is burnt by all the conflicting demands ranging from CCA camps to the numerous holiday projects. It is not enough having Intellect alone; one needs to have lots of Energy.

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kohjl » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:54 pm

Fairy wrote:
Wow, he must be really good at them to get selected for the RA Programme. Btw, can you share with us how your son cope with the heavy workload and jam-packed schedule of a Rafflesian? My son is in Sec1 and already, his June holiday is burnt by all the conflicting demands ranging from CCA camps to the numerous holiday projects. It is not enough having Intellect alone; one needs to have lots of Energy.
Hi Fairy

Frankly, I also don't know how my son copes! As it is, this June holiday, he said that he had "double-digit" number of projects to do, and they are all team projects. Yet, I still see him playing computer. But as long as he maintains his grades, I don't rein him in as he can manage himself very well.

To get into RA, one needs GPA 4.0 for that particular subject, and an overall GPA of 3.6 and above for all subjects. Then you go for selection test/interview as well to be selected into RA. Pretty stringent so I guess if the RI administrators think that he cannot cope, they would not have selected him. The programme is very demanding.

This son seems to be able to do it and natural intellect does play a part.
Interest counts A LOT to carry him thru. I've asked him if he ever regretted taking RA (more projects, more difficult tests, etc) but he said NO cos he said otherwise he would be bored.

Good study habits are important too. He doesn't study for long hours at a stretch but his concentration is definitely 100%. I am amazed. And as I had mentioned, self-management and self-discipline are very important. Don't ever let addictive computer games suck your child in.

Energy-wise...yeah, I believe in children sleeping early and also drinking chicken essence. When he was in Sec 1, he told me that he was the only one among his friends whose mother insisted must sleep by 10pm! Now in Sec 4, this has generally "degenerated" to between 11-11:30pm.

:D

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Fairy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:05 am

kohjl wrote:
Fairy wrote:
Hi Fairy

Frankly, I also don't know how my son copes! As it is, this June holiday, he said that he had "double-digit" number of projects to do, and they are all team projects. Yet, I still see him playing computer. But as long as he maintains his grades, I don't rein him in as he can manage himself very well.

To get into RA, one needs GPA 4.0 for that particular subject, and an overall GPA of 3.6 and above for all subjects. Then you go for selection test/interview as well to be selected into RA. Pretty stringent so I guess if the RI administrators think that he cannot cope, they would not have selected him. The programme is very demanding.

This son seems to be able to do it and natural intellect does play a part.
Interest counts A LOT to carry him thru. I've asked him if he ever regretted taking RA (more projects, more difficult tests, etc) but he said NO cos he said otherwise he would be bored.

Good study habits are important too. He doesn't study for long hours at a stretch but his concentration is definitely 100%. I am amazed. And as I had mentioned, self-management and self-discipline are very important. Don't ever let addictive computer games suck your child in.

Energy-wise...yeah, I believe in children sleeping early and also drinking chicken essence. When he was in Sec 1, he told me that he was the only one among his friends whose mother insisted must sleep by 10pm! Now in Sec 4, this has generally "degenerated" to between 11-11:30pm.

Thanks for sharing. You must be a very proud parent. Btw, does he spend a lot of time commuting to/fro school? Has he got a demanding CCA? Is he involved in more than one CCA? I remember during the Subject Talk for Sec1 parents organised by the parents' association, the head of RA mentioned specifically that they are not looking for muggers! Your son must be really talented in the subject areas in order to cope so well. Congrats.

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kohjl » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:39 pm

Fairy wrote:
Thanks for sharing. You must be a very proud parent. Btw, does he spend a lot of time commuting to/fro school? Has he got a demanding CCA? Is he involved in more than one CCA? I remember during the Subject Talk for Sec1 parents organised by the parents' association, the head of RA mentioned specifically that they are not looking for muggers! Your son must be really talented in the subject areas in order to cope so well. Congrats.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, we are very proud of him because he has learnt to be very independent and he manages himself well.

Thankfully, we live quite close to RI, so commuting is not a problem.

When he was in Sec 1 and 2, he had one sports CCA and one academic CCA. During competition periods, it can get very demanding as they can have sports practice 3 times a week with 2-hr duration each time; otherwise it's twice a week. He gave up the academic CCA when he went to Sec 3. My son does not have tuition in any subject (and never did) except for Higher Chinese, so I guess in that sense, he has "more" time on his own which he manages. He even found time to act in last year's Dramafest - which was basically for fun cos he is not doing English Lit....and that had many l-o-n-g hours of practice! As I said, as long as he maintains good grades, and teachers give me good comments, I leave it to him to manage.

As for mugging - sometimes I wish my son would do a little more of it! But I remind myself that he is doing well enough, and also happy and well-adjusted in a very stressful environment; what more can I ask for?