55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby sandunes » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Buzydad wrote:
sandunes wrote:
Buzydad wrote:Hi, my DS has to decide to join either the Primary Math Masterclass or the P5 Leadership Camp. The programme dates for both clash. His teachers have given him till tomorrow morning to tell them his reply.

My son likes maths but my inclination is for him to have some exposure to the outdoor activities camp.

Would much appreciate it if I could get some opinions/feedback on both the programmes, especially from those who have knowledge of the details of either or both programmes, or someones whose kids have joined either or both programmes previously.

Just by merely looking at the brief descriptions of the programmes doesn't really give me a good idea of which programmes is more benefiting. :?

I have the same dilemma! Will have to wait till ds to come back and discuss...

I think you may agree with me that from our perspective, the GEP branch (HQ) should have tried best to arrange for the 2 programmes to be held at different times (like the previous years). But, well, the officer in the GEP branch said just choose 1 of of them, when my DS's math teacher called him up to explore if there could be any better way other than dropping 1 of them..

Ds was told by the teacher that if he gives up the Camp, the sch can find a replacement but not for the Math Master. I think my ds will go for the Math Master but I can only find out later.

sandunes
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby WTK » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi P5 parents, may I know next week HCL common test is from chapter 1 to which chapter? Thanks!

WTK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Otah » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Two years back my ds(mainstreamer) attended the math master class. This is what he went thru. it was a 5 days lesson on the first week of June holiday at one of the GEP centre, with lunch provided. Thereafter, have to make your way to another GEP centre when school reopen one of the afternoon to do a group project. It all end around Sept. He did not get any offer of dsa despite attaching math master certificate and some other things. He entrolled to HCI as his first choice thru central posting after PSLE.

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby blur-daddy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Buzydad wrote:I think you may agree with me that from our perspective, the GEP branch (HQ) should have tried best to arrange for the 2 programmes to be held at different times (like the previous years). But, well, the officer in the GEP branch said just choose 1 of of them, when my DS's math teacher called him up to explore if there could be any better way other than dropping 1 of them..

Hi Buzydad and Sandunes,

Congratulation. Yes, you should consider maths masterclass over leadership. Basically, one is space limited and not readily available outside, while leadership camp can be arranged later, or outside if you want that type of exposure for your kids.
:celebrate:

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Faun » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:41 pm

From a holistic point of view, the camp is better. Math is just math, they'll get loads for the rest of the years ahead. Interaction with people is more important. They learn soft skill.

I think the best is to let the child choose for himself or herself. Let him learn to listen to his own voice tell him what to do. Education is about self discovery and self knowledge. Not about doing what people tell you what to do all the time.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby naggo-nitemare » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:50 pm

My DS attended primary math masterclass in 2009. For math-passionate kids, it's a good opportunity to mingle with others and to learn more aspects of Maths outside the curriculum.

In his time, it's 3 days of classes in June hols, followed by once a week sessions at Tao nan Pri school. Pupils had to arrange their own transport. I used to chauffeur him and a couple of his schoolmates to Tao Nan after they gobble down lunch as PMM lesson starts at around 2pm, if my memory serves me correctly.

The participants will be grouped in 3, 4 or 5's to do a math project. Topics will be proposed by the groups. The project group is expected to report weekly to their own teacher in charge in their respective schools on the progress. All the hard work will end with a group presentation. The teachers will judge the presentations n submissions and will award distinction, merit or participation certificates.

My DS enjoyed the whole program. His group's project was on a topic that he was deeply interested in. There were 30 participants in his time. If given the opportunity, don't miss it if your child enjoys exploring math.

naggo-nitemare
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Buzydad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi Otah, blur-daddy, Faun & naggo-nitemare, thanks for your information/comment. Appreciate it. :D
Last edited by Buzydad on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buzydad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sandunes » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Thks for the sharing and advices. My Ds has decided to go for the math class.

sandunes
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Buzydad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:09 pm

WTK wrote:Hi P5 parents, may I know next week HCL common test is from chapter 1 to which chapter? Thanks!

My DS says it should be chapters 1 to 10

Buzydad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby WTK » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi buzydad,

Thank you very much :D

Another question: "Will there any composition for English?"

WTK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt