Science Guide Books

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules
Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.
cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: Science Assessment Books

Post by cimman » Thu May 26, 2011 12:00 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:We are all here to share...but this forum is really great as it is an avenue to vent and also pick up impt tips. I'm still learning.
Will get my son to revise his weaker topics in the Ace assessment titles I bought last mth. Oh yes, I got sick :sick: of printing past year papers...bought CA2 and SA2 from a shop in Toa Payoh.
Material chapter is quite dry but certain terms are impt and cannot be mixed up.

actually the experiments on Materials chapter is quite interesting and doable. Do the experiments there with your child. Typically, they will involve inverting an empty cup over a basin of water. Do that with an empty mineral water bottle (small), so you can see the water level in the bottle.

You can put a straw in there to suck up the air and watch the water level rises, or you can drill a hole at the top of the water bottle and water level rises as air escapes, as you push the bottle into the water.

I find that if you do some of the experiments in the chapter, it will be a lot less dry. Have fun in the process.
The key words in this chapter is "Air occupies space". Always see that in the answer keys.
Last edited by cimman on Thu May 26, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:42

Post by Champion » Thu May 26, 2011 12:02 pm

cimman wrote:
I had a look at the 2 books you recommended. Both do have questions that are outside of the usual "test your memory" questions.

Perfect Match Science Challenging Questions by Manisha Nayak Image
- I find that the difficulty of the questions are a notch below Longman's. I didn't really enjoy reading this assessment simply because the fonts were in a pale blue color and that made it difficult to read, lack of contrast. The book takes a topical approach. Each topic is divided into some brief notes, some MCQ and some OE. As a result, the number of MCQ are lacking. I've guide books for notes, I've process skills books for OE, so I don't really need those materials. I needed something for MCQ.

Longman Exam Science for Achievers by Asma Mahamedi Image - questions are analytical, fair bit of questions on experiments. There are a number of questions with graphs, a stumbling point with my child. A lot more MCQ than the book above, as they don't have notes, though the OE questions are there. Thankfully, the publishers were not the arty type (ie. like in Perfect Match) and printed black on white.

Pardon Me for my Kapoh-ness again :tongue: - I upload the pics of the book; hope it's the correct one :wink:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by janet88 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:05 pm

How come the topic of Magnets diverted to ice cream ? :scratchhead: Just kidding, we do need to crack up and laugh more...life cannot be too serious.
Show children the diff shapes of magnets...the North and South poles of each diff shape...how they attract and repel.

I hated Magnets initially, but got the hang of it after a while. Explain how magnets apply to practical life, for eg trolley on travellator. But 'electricity' next term really have to ask hubby to coach. I can still handle :xedfingers: circulatory system.

pixiedust
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by pixiedust » Thu May 26, 2011 12:09 pm

cimman wrote: I had a look at the 2 books you recommended. Both do have questions that are outside of the usual "test your memory" questions.

Perfect Match Science Challenging Questions by Manisha Nayak
- I find that the difficulty of the questions are a notch below Longman's. I didn't really enjoy reading this assessment simply because the fonts were in a pale blue color and that made it difficult to read, lack of contrast. The book takes a topical approach. Each topic is divided into some brief notes, some MCQ and some OE. As a result, the number of MCQ are lacking. I've guide books for notes, I've process skills books for OE, so I don't really need those materials. I needed something for MCQ.

Longman Exam Science for Achievers by Asma Mahamedi - questions are analytical, fair bit of questions on experiments. There are a number of questions with graphs, a stumbling point with my child. A lot more MCQ than the book above, as they don't have notes, though the OE questions are there. Thankfully, the publishers were not the arty type (ie. like in Perfect Match) and printed black on white.

Actually, credit for recommendations should go to (Master) Kenobi. I only dug up the thread.

Thanks for the update. I looked at both just yesterday as I was at Bras Basah. The Perfect Match (2010 re-print) shows black fonts and not pale blue - hence okay-to-read. Agree Longman has more MCQ questions, I do feel the questions in both are more HOT.

p/s: Champion - thank you, both covers correct :smile:

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Re:

Post by smartmummy » Sat May 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Brenda10 wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:I don't like Casco assessment books. I flipped through this assessment book and found that it's not bad. Questions are quite close to exam papers.

I have this book under 5/6. I find it is useful for learning how to answer on open and end question.

I have a similar book -- Conquer Science (teachers@work) 3/4 .I found this book very useful.It helped me a lot to understood the topics and got some idea how the questions come.After CA1 only i decided to buy this.before that I can another book (perfect-match Science challenging questions) was no useful.

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Re:

Post by Champion » Sun May 29, 2011 9:11 am

concern_parent wrote:
Brenda10 wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:I don't like Casco assessment books. I flipped through this assessment book and found that it's not bad. Questions are quite close to exam papers.

I have this book under 5/6. I find it is useful for learning how to answer on open and end question.

I have a similar book -- Conquer Science (teachers@work) 3/4 .I found this book very useful.It helped me a lot to understood the topics and got some idea how the questions come.After CA1 only i decided to buy this.before that I can another book (perfect-match Science challenging questions) was no useful.

Hi,
Both the Science Process Skills and Conquer Science are the "top favorite recommended" assessment books in this thread! :celebrate:

Glad you have the Conquer Science; Let all of us 一起加油! :grphug:

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by smartmummy » Sun May 29, 2011 4:13 pm

Wow!,I proud my self for chose a correct book. :celebrate:

:grphug:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:18 am

Hey Mummies,
Try to see if you can still get hold of this title by Mabel Cheong. Title is 'Quick Revision Science Notes & Questions'. By EPH. Although it doesn't quite provide questions for the deep analytical thinking of exam questions, I feel that it's sufficient for P3-4 and maybe a little of P5. Just asked son to get the chapter on 'Plant Systems' done, and he told me he hasn't been taught Plant Transport System :faint: BTW, this book is for P3.

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Champion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:28 am

janet_lee88 wrote:Hey Mummies,
Try to see if you can still get hold of this title by Mabel Cheong. Title is 'Quick Revision Science Notes & Questions'. By EPH. Although it doesn't quite provide questions for the deep analytical thinking of exam questions, I feel that it's sufficient for P3-4 and maybe a little of P5. Just asked son to get the chapter on 'Plant Systems' done, and he told me he hasn't been taught Plant Transport System :faint: BTW, this book is for P3.

Janet,
Is this the one?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:57 am

Champion wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:Hey Mummies,

Janet,
Is this the one?

Mine may be an old one, but I think this pic you posted could be the same thing.