35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby comfy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:50 am

a child wrote:Hi :D I'm a senior from RGS here (slacking in the hols). Anyway I shall elaborate further......Anyway tell your children to enjoy the golden honeymoon GEP years - it'll be the last time! After that it's the PSLE and then Sec school: different friends, back to larger classrooms with more than 30 kids, back to more more more tests and generally more of everything - activities and stress, and less of only one particular highly-sought after item: sleep.

Hi a child, it is very rare that an ex-gepper gave her inputs here. Thanks. May I ask whether you enjoy the school and gep prog. in RGS? Is there a difference in gep prog in comparison with the pri school, besides class size and more subjects. How are the teachers and their teaching style?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:19 am

comfy wrote:
a child wrote:Hi :D I'm a senior from RGS here (slacking in the hols). Anyway I shall elaborate further......Anyway tell your children to enjoy the golden honeymoon GEP years - it'll be the last time! After that it's the PSLE and then Sec school: different friends, back to larger classrooms with more than 30 kids, back to more more more tests and generally more of everything - activities and stress, and less of only one particular highly-sought after item: sleep.

Hi a child, it is very rare that an ex-gepper gave her inputs here. Thanks. May I ask whether you enjoy the school and gep prog. in RGS? Is there a difference in gep prog in comparison with the pri school, besides class size and more subjects. How are the teachers and their teaching style?

Well I'd say that it's been quite enjoyable for me this year, and there isn't much of a noticeable difference, except perhaps a tad more emphasis placed on grades, which may also be due to the influence of the 270+ scorers in PSLE which make up roughly 1/3 of our class in addition to GEPers. But not to say that this is bad, because it also promotes a more hardworking environment, ensuring at least that I have sufficient motivation to do all the homework assigned even though the teachers no longer check most of it.

Another thing that I like about the RGS environment is that the teachers are very knowledgeable and approachable, and we can ask them questions outside of the syllabus, and they challenge us to think likewise. They make learning seem more like a process despite the SAs that cripple us every few weeks. Though most times you have to take the first step to talk to the teacher after class, etc. they're really happy to answer your other questions about their subjects, etc. and sometimes they also provide us with extra readings and stuff concerning the areas we're interested in. I also like the way many classmates have similar interests - we can talk about the GE, the Euro-zone debt crisis, whatever which I don't think many schools offer. And we during the GE the discussion also crept up in class and it was a very enlightening discussion. So I think the SBGE in RGS has an environment similar to that of the GEP, an environment that allows and challenges one to think in depth and with a breadth beyond the normal curriculum, to pursue your interests (though they may be short lived) knowing there are friends you can share them with, and ultimately appreciate and embrace the tree of knowledge and the process of growth.

This description of RGS may sound cliched, but to me it is the best representation of what RGS has to offer for me. I'm not a very sporty person because I have asthma, but if you like sports RGS sports is very high-achieving, albeit exclusive - you have to go through selective trials to get in. And unlike the nurturing environment I feel in my class I somehow think the sports CCAs are very competitive and encourage the results rather than enjoyment and appreciation of the game. For performing arts I cannot comment, but I believe that the situation is similar. Most other CCAs are non-competitive I to me (though teachers don't admit it) the teachers don't pay much attention to them - it's largely senior run, with teachers/coaches not freely available. And for leadership positions, there are many, but don't be deluded: the actual number of students holding the positions is much less than the amount available because most leaders hold double or even triple appointments. I'm not a natural-born leader and I'm not in any leadership board. So to me the greatest draw of an RGS SBGE education is ultimately still the academics. The learning.

Hope this helps (this account is mine only, and all of us see it through different perspectives and take advantage of different opportunities, so I admit it's rather biased an opinion though it's probably better than nothing)

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:34 am

Oh, I noticed my answer's pretty off-topic. Anyway, teachers are pretty good. There're good and bad ones like there are any place, but mostly good. Approachable, but you need to have initiative. Learning-style is experimental like the GEP, many projects. The exam scope may not be too wide but teachers do introduce some in-depth material that's very interesting. Excellent especially if you don't solely pursue results. Teachers assign work and give answers, but they don't mark most work - this is fine though if you do your work conscientiously.

And aside from teachers, among your classmates you meet some of the most amazing people you meet in your life so far. Friends who take 4 CCAs of which there's a performing arts and sports CCA who can still score a 3.94 GPA out of a perfect 4.0. Friends who don't study the material for a History end-of-year and manage full-marks. Friends who can speak 7 languages well. Friends who can start a History Performance Task worth 20% the final grade on the day it's due, after school at 1pm, speed-write 5 pages of the essay and submit it in time for the 3pm deadline. Friends with a perfect Lexile score of 1700, almost equivalent to the standard required for an English degree at university. Friends who get a perfect 4.0 GPA. Friends who have violin and piano diplomas. Friends who pursue computer engineering so in-depth they probably by now know how to hack into my FB account without my notice. Friends with whom you can talk about the GE hours on end. Friends whom you can trust. Friends who stay up with you while both frantically chiong the assignments. Friends who let you feel that you're never alone. So yes in RGS you meet many high-ability people, but that's not to say that there's tons of unhealthy competition and stress. People are generally very helpful, very kind, and nobody boasts about any of these achievements. So yes, I'm probably not as talented as these friends of mine, but the exposure to a bigger world is interesting, and competition is taken more as a game than in an I-must-beat-you sense. This package of wonderful peers is also a lure for RGS - even if the teaching is not that much better than normal schools, but the people make it so special.

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby comfy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:15 pm

a child wrote:Oh, I noticed my answer's pretty off-topic. Anyway, teachers are pretty good. There're good and bad ones like there are any place, but mostly good. Approachable, but you need to have initiative. Learning-style is experimental like the GEP, many projects. The exam scope may not be too wide but teachers do introduce some in-depth material that's very interesting. Excellent especially if you don't solely pursue results. Teachers assign work and give answers, but they don't mark most work - this is fine though if you do your work conscientiously.

And aside from teachers, among your classmates you meet some of the most amazing people you meet in your life so far. Friends who take 4 CCAs of which there's a performing arts and sports CCA who can still score a 3.94 GPA out of a perfect 4.0. Friends who don't study the material for a History end-of-year and manage full-marks. Friends who can speak 7 languages well. Friends who can start a History Performance Task worth 20% the final grade on the day it's due, after school at 1pm, speed-write 5 pages of the essay and submit it in time for the 3pm deadline. Friends with a perfect Lexile score of 1700, almost equivalent to the standard required for an English degree at university. Friends who get a perfect 4.0 GPA. Friends who have violin and piano diplomas. Friends who pursue computer engineering so in-depth they probably by now know how to hack into my FB account without my notice. Friends with whom you can talk about the GE hours on end. Friends whom you can trust. Friends who stay up with you while both frantically chiong the assignments. Friends who let you feel that you're never alone. So yes in RGS you meet many high-ability people, but that's not to say that there's tons of unhealthy competition and stress. People are generally very helpful, very kind, and nobody boasts about any of these achievements. So yes, I'm probably not as talented as these friends of mine, but the exposure to a bigger world is interesting, and competition is taken more as a game than in an I-must-beat-you sense. This package of wonderful peers is also a lure for RGS - even if the teaching is not that much better than normal schools, but the people make it so special.

Thanks a child for taking your time to share. I truly enjoyed reading and have a 'peek' into RGS school life from your detailed perspective. So I see, meeting different type of friends of HA have not stressed you, which is admirable. Happy to note that you are learning and enjoying life in RGS. One thing I like to ask is that do the teachers really 'teach' or they do their sort of 'speed teaching' on advanced subject? Do your classmates have tuition/enrichment lessons?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:40 pm

comfy wrote:
a child wrote:Oh, I noticed my answer's pretty off-topic. Anyway, teachers are pretty good. There're good and bad ones like there are any place, but mostly good. Approachable, but you need to have initiative. Learning-style is experimental like the GEP, many projects. The exam scope may not be too wide but teachers do introduce some in-depth material that's very interesting. Excellent especially if you don't solely pursue results. Teachers assign work and give answers, but they don't mark most work - this is fine though if you do your work conscientiously.

Thanks a child for taking your time to share. I truly enjoyed reading and have a 'peek' into RGS school life from your detailed perspective. So I see, meeting different type of friends of HA have not stressed you, which is admirable. Happy to note that you are learning and enjoying life in RGS. One thing I like to ask is that do the teachers really 'teach' or they do their sort of 'speed teaching' on advanced subject? Do your classmates have tuition/enrichment lessons?

Teachers do teach for most subjects, and many of us even find certain classes quite slow or boring. Many had tuition with TLL but are dropping due to insufficient time to commit and some find it somewhat irrelevant to the curriculum. I myself have no tuition as of yet but I'm venturing to get English tuition because my English grades are not good, to say the least - and my English teacher happens to be (to me) one of those who doesn't teach much. I think it really depends on the teacher, because though those teachers aren't plenty, I've encountered one for English, but my friends from other classes don't have any as far as I know. If the class is too fast/slow you can feedback to the teacher and they'll adjust accordingly - I have teachers who teach different classes and different paces, introducing more material to some than others. They are very flexible. However for English the problem is - most of the class find my teacher fine, though I'm having some problem keeping up as I tend to write off-topic. I can't have the teacher accommodate me solely and she's very busy so I think outside help's better.

If one needs help, be it for normal school work or for additional information, one can approach the teachers during a weekly slot designated for teacher consultation, or after school. Remedials are also conducted, and once when my friend missed a week of school the teacher sat with her personally to go through the work.

So for a succinct answer - yes, teachers do teach, yes, they also speed-teach and cover advanced material if they know you've got the basics, yes, friends to go for tuition though not many anymore - in this aspect it's just like any other school. And yes, there are also some teachers whom I can't really get, but that's mostly due to personal taste in teaching style. And yes, there are also no good teachers, but these exist in all schools, and I have a feeling that there are fewer in RGS than elsewhere.

Anyway we're :offtopic: - this is for Primary GEP and not SBGE. I'll hang around here for the rest of the hols to chill so long as I have time (which is almost everyday) and I'll try to answer your questions :D Especially as I don't think there are many ex-GEPers around who are this free.

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi a child ...I enjoy reading your posts... :love: ,,Thanks :kiss:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:58 pm

vlim wrote:Hi a child ...I enjoy reading your posts... :love: ,,Thanks :kiss:

Haha welcome :D I've been reading the 416 pages of this thread for the past two days and lurking around and everything. It's particularly humorous to read of frantic parents and their response to the load of assignments - reminds me of the years past. (I sound so old.) Your DS will be in RI next year right?

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:58 pm

double post

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:04 pm

a child wrote:
vlim wrote:Hi a child ...I enjoy reading your posts... :love: ,,Thanks :kiss:

Haha welcome :D I've been reading the 416 pages of this thread for the past two days and lurking around and everything. It's particularly humorous to read of frantic parents and their response to the load of assignments - reminds me of the years past. (I sound so old.) Your DS will be in RI next year right?

Oh yes! He will be in RI next yr and definitely hope that he will enjoy his secondary life like you do :smile:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby deardear07 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:08 pm

only 1 word to manage these descriptions - WOW!

Would love to have such environment for myself then... totally din care much about studies till much later.

then again, it takes the best (knowledgeable) teachers to nurture or teach the high ability students. :smile:

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres