MOE not tweaking P1 registration

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply
concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4890
Joined: Mon Oct 20,
Total Likes:29

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by concern2 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Chenonceau wrote:
pirate wrote:But we should not also forget that national exam papers should be able to sieve the top from the rest. If there aren't any "overly tough" questions, how are we going to identify the truly brilliant? Do we want exams where it is possible for a significant percentage of students to "max-out" the scores? Making those "overly tough" questions not hot-housable or crammable, however, is a different artform altogether. At the PSLE or even 'O' levels, this is not easy to do.


This might sound like a sarcastic question but it is not. I really wanna know the thought process. Why is it so necessary to differentiate the bright, the brighter and the brightest academically?


I'm with you on this, Chen.

Guest

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Chenonceau wrote:Uh oh... thread getting hot. Me gone. Have fun debating.

:siam:


What's happening here......anyone needs liang teh?

Image

Guest

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:42 pm

concern2 wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:
pirate wrote:But we should not also forget that national exam papers should be able to sieve the top from the rest. If there aren't any "overly tough" questions, how are we going to identify the truly brilliant? Do we want exams where it is possible for a significant percentage of students to "max-out" the scores? Making those "overly tough" questions not hot-housable or crammable, however, is a different artform altogether. At the PSLE or even 'O' levels, this is not easy to do.


This might sound like a sarcastic question but it is not. I really wanna know the thought process. Why is it so necessary to differentiate the bright, the brighter and the brightest academically?


I'm with you on this, Chen.


The one reason I can think of is understanding meritocracy from young?

Melodies
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jul 11,

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by Melodies » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:12 pm

I think it may be attributed to:
+ everyone wants to get to the perceived top sec schools such as RGS, RI, HCI , NYG but we only have few top sec schools. So, they have to look at results to offer a place in these top sec schools. Unless parents don't mind if their kids are posted to the perceived poor sec schools.
+ we have limited scholarships and results do play a part in securing a scholarship
+ we have limited vacancies for popular courses in Uni and results do play a part in securing a place for your preferred choice of course.

Hence, it is necessary to differentiate the bright, the brighter and the brightest academically. Else, everyone is the same, how to decide whom to give? :scratchhead:

Chenonceau wrote:This might sound like a sarcastic question but it is not. I really wanna know the thought process. Why is it so necessary to differentiate the bright, the brighter and the brightest academically?

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Jul 19,
Total Likes:1

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by MR06 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:11 pm

dorisp wrote:
MR06 wrote:
MOE is not tweaking the policy at the moment does not mean MOE is not tweaking the policy forever.

It may surprise you before the next P1 registration just as it had surprised the PRs in this year's registration! :smile:


:laugh: Your statement may contain certain elements of truth, but it may make some :nunchuk: :rant: :mad: .........

:duck:

:siam:


I am not surprised. It is expected...... :cool:


dorisp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Jul 21,
Total Likes:1

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by dorisp » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:52 am

MR06 wrote:
dorisp wrote:
MR06 wrote:
MOE is not tweaking the policy at the moment does not mean MOE is not tweaking the policy forever.

It may surprise you before the next P1 registration just as it had surprised the PRs in this year's registration! :smile:


:laugh: Your statement may contain certain elements of truth, but it may make some :nunchuk: :rant: :mad: .........

:duck:

:siam:


I am not surprised. It is expected...... :cool:


:hi5:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 18906
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:207

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by phtthp » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:00 am

nms1 wrote: If the exams are too predictable or easy then everyone can obtain As and no-one knows who is really smart who just spent hours cramming. This is the reason why I like the changes being introduced to PSLE English. They may not have said this but I think it will help to distinguish the really good from the ones who've had hours of tuition and stock answers provided by their teachers.


Yes, agree!

with new EL PSLE starting wef 2015 to groom / nurture a new breed / generation of kids to equip them with critical thinking communication skills born in / after 2003 -

not so easy now to tackle, score in English paper. The open-ended nature / style of the questions will make it harder for students to prepare for PSLE. There are no Textbook(s) or Workbook(s). Instead, students are exposed to a wide variety of authentic texts - such as newspaper articles, websites and posters.

a Primary 6 student, said:
"The part I enjoy most is that I'm able to express my opinions... because in this kind of question, there's No right or wrong answer ." Pupils now learn to say, 'I agree with you because...', 'I disagree with you because...', so they learn the language of discussion. They also learn how to respect each other's opinions.

watch youtube :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2EVD8Y1Pec
(on pc sound system)

Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 20,

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by Mychildren » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:24 am

phtthp wrote:
nms1 wrote: If the exams are too predictable or easy then everyone can obtain As and no-one knows who is really smart who just spent hours cramming. This is the reason why I like the changes being introduced to PSLE English. They may not have said this but I think it will help to distinguish the really good from the ones who've had hours of tuition and stock answers provided by their teachers.


Yes, agree!

with new EL PSLE starting wef 2015 to groom / nurture a new breed / generation of kids to equip them with critical thinking communication skills born in / after 2003 -

not so easy now to tackle, score in English paper. The open-ended nature / style of the questions will make it harder for students to prepare for PSLE. There are no Textbook(s) or Workbook(s). Instead, students are exposed to a wide variety of authentic texts - such as newspaper articles, websites and posters.

a Primary 6 student, said:
"The part I enjoy most is that I'm able to express my opinions... because in this kind of question, there's No right or wrong answer ." Pupils now learn to say, 'I agree with you because...', 'I disagree with you because...', so they learn the language of discussion. They also learn how to respect each other's opinions.



Actually, I personally like this kind of test.
During my secondary school days, I joined an uniform group, the promotion test for ranks also asked critical thinking questions. For example, they give you a situation you are in & they asked you how or what should you do under those circumstances. I think its great, more like life skills than questions from the books. I enjoyed it! :wink:

Even during exam times, I chose those compo questions that is argumentative type. This I can express my own thinking, yes, no definite rights or wrongs but must use examples to support your choice.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16227
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:160

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by Nebbermind » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:31 pm


Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7502
Joined: Mon Nov 22,
Total Likes:1

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by Happy Mama » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Nebbermind wrote:The MOE ALUMNI HANDBOOK

Thanks for sharing, Nebbermind.

Post Reply