What Makes A Teacher Extraordinary?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Re: Teachers: What separates the ordinary from the extraordi

Post by senseimichael » Wed May 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Beautyful Minds wrote: Not all good teachers are passionate, but all passionate teachers are good.
Passion is what makes the teacher different, that makes the teacher take that extra mile, do that bit more research, all to help his students. Well said, Beautyful Minds!

joannelim1975
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: What Makes A Teacher Extraordinary?

Post by joannelim1975 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:18 am

i think one who thinks and knows the child, able to customized learning according to the child's strength and weakness is important? most importantly, interesting lessons that child is self-motivated.

CarolW
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by CarolW » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:04 pm

Passionate and patience, those are the two characteristics that we look for our child's teacher. Teachers may come from prestige schools and might earn the highest degree with Latin honors but it does not give an assurance to parents that they are compassionate with their chosen profession. I have noticed that most of the passionate and patient teachers are sons or daughters of retired teachers. I think these skills might have been passed on to them from the examples they have learned from their parents.

mrs_see
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mrs_see » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:13 pm

CarolW wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:04 pm
Passionate and patience, those are the two characteristics that we look for our child's teacher. Teachers may come from prestige schools and might earn the highest degree with Latin honors but it does not give an assurance to parents that they are compassionate with their chosen profession. I have noticed that most of the passionate and patient teachers are sons or daughters of retired teachers. I think these skills might have been passed on to them from the examples they have learned from their parents.
You are right. Teaching without passion and patience means a failure to educate a child. I have met several teachers in my life and I am glad that most of them were compassionate to slow learners like me. It is hard to deal with students struggling with their studies and I am lucky that I have met teachers who never give up on me. I wish my children would also meet teacher like I had when I was still a student.

flf80
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by flf80 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 pm

i would say the best teachers i've seen are the ones who are able to make studying/learning more interesting. in this sense, a mixture of creativity and understanding the student's interests, built upon a solid grasp of the topic at hand!

EyeLevelSembawang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by EyeLevelSembawang » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 am

An extraordinary teacher understands that “Children are not vessels to be filled, but lamps to be lit” (Hebrew Proverb) -- An extraordinary teacher realises that children bring so much to the table and will constantly be trying to engage with that flame, pushing the children outside their comfort zones, not too far as to demoralise them, but far enough as to nurture them.

I am a teacher, and the hardest part of the job is that my kids are always in my mental background. My own kid, the kids I teach, the kids who are thriving, the kids who are struggling, the kids' parents... Teaching is a humanising and humbling job. And often, the best teachers are simply the ones who are open to being taught by their students in turn.

EarthQuek
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by EarthQuek » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:20 pm

EyeLevelSembawang wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 am
An extraordinary teacher understands that “Children are not vessels to be filled, but lamps to be lit” (Hebrew Proverb) -- An extraordinary teacher realises that children bring so much to the table and will constantly be trying to engage with that flame, pushing the children outside their comfort zones, not too far as to demoralise them, but far enough as to nurture them.

I am a teacher, and the hardest part of the job is that my kids are always in my mental background. My own kid, the kids I teach, the kids who are thriving, the kids who are struggling, the kids' parents... Teaching is a humanising and humbling job. And often, the best teachers are simply the ones who are open to being taught by their students in turn.
And often, the best teachers are simply the ones who are open to being taught by their students in turn.
Hi, personally I love this statement very much. Wishing you and partner ALL THE BEST in your tuition career :smile: