All About Life Without Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

I am

Much happier without my maid
89%
Missing my maid
11%

Total votes: 473

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:138

Re: All About Life Without Maids

Post by janet88 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:03 am

LucyL wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:30 am
Have you ever realised what an amazing work-out housework gives you? Vacuuming, mopping and lifting the laundry basket are great for getting rid of those "tuck-shop arms" we all love to hate.

What's more, climbing up and down steps with said laundry basket in tow is great for the legs, thighs and derriere. Basically, you get an all-body workout every day, whether you like it or not!

Goodbye gym, hello housework...
I do not understand why people say housework is not considered exercise.
vacuuming requires squatting and exercising of the arms.
mopping also requires arm muscles. my upper right arm is firm from mopping but it's ugly.
frankly I cannot vacuum and mop on the same day because it's very tiring.
on days when the floor is sticky and dusty, I use Kao wet wipes...can pick up dust and hair as well as give the floor a good wipe. I use 2-3 pieces. not as fantastic compared to real mop but better than nothing. :wink:

rodneybrooks
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by rodneybrooks » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:23 pm

interesting

Ella455
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Ella455 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:39 am

Extra sets of utensils, milk bottles and many wash cloths and floor cloths are my best friend. There is no time to do thorough cleaning for every mess they made but just have to do a quick wipe or retrieve another set of utensils. This is very helpful for me to have an efficient day..

lkds_mom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by lkds_mom » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:57 pm

I am a soon to be first time mom with no helper and not planning to get one even with the baby. My husband is korean and strongly against getting a helper since not in his culture. (but he also not willing to help much with housework...)Thankful that this thread was here as I could read and get some advice. The xiaomi robot is really wonderful with both sweeping (and we have a dog that sheds a lot...) and mopping.
Is there anything else that we should do that would make our life easier when the baby comes since I know things need to be cleaner with a baby around - is a UV sterilizer worth buying? There will be more milk bottle washing and baby laundry right? Anything else in terms of housework?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:167

Post by zac's mum » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:40 pm

If u are not in a hurry to go back to work (eg long maternity leave), please try to breastfeed by latching baby directly.

Unfortunately mine after a couple weeks, refused to latch directly. Only wanted to drink my expressed milk from a bottle. That leads to sooooooo much extra work in washing & sterilizing the bottles & breast pump accessories, plus the time spent pumping when I could have been catching up on my missed sleep instead.

If u really can’t help it, buy lots of extra sets of bottles, accessories, baby clothes, burp cloths etc etc. U don’t want to spend your crucial rest time doing unnecessary washing & washing & washing because there are always no more clean bottles. Truly.

New mums without maids & without husbands’ help find it hard even squeezing time out to shower. Babies are hardly dolls that just eat and sleep. U need to feed them then burp them then rock to sleep. After 30 min could wake up crying again.

AfterClaz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by AfterClaz » Fri May 17, 2019 10:35 am

lkds_mom wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:57 pm
I am a soon to be first time mom with no helper and not planning to get one even with the baby. My husband is korean and strongly against getting a helper since not in his culture. (but he also not willing to help much with housework...)Thankful that this thread was here as I could read and get some advice. The xiaomi robot is really wonderful with both sweeping (and we have a dog that sheds a lot...) and mopping.
Is there anything else that we should do that would make our life easier when the baby comes since I know things need to be cleaner with a baby around - is a UV sterilizer worth buying? There will be more milk bottle washing and baby laundry right? Anything else in terms of housework?
Get a dishwasher! I love my dishwasher as I can wash the bottles/teats, and if you really want to, you can further sterilise it although it's not really necessary if you do 70dc runs. I also have a robot vacuum. I've 3 kids, no helper and #4 coming along in June. So far so good, I don't cook, we usually dabao/deliveroo. I do hire a part-time helper that comes in twice a week to do all the laundry. There's SO MUCH laundry. If you're doing your own laundry, will highly recommend you get a dryer as well. You need to automate as much as you can! :boogie:

LucyL
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by LucyL » Tue May 21, 2019 10:51 am

Dishwasher is a great especially if you have no house help, you can do much other productive work and use your time efficiently. Apart from time and effort, dishwashers can help in saving a lot of water. They use less water to wash dishes than the amount of water used for doing the same by hand.

missyqiqi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by missyqiqi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:34 pm

I also agree with the dishwasher. Really a lifesaver. Got 3 kids and no helper since March. Got a dishwasher last month, really save me a lot of time. But I have a problem with folding clothes! My god.. the number of clothes my kids wear especially during the school holiday.

My hubby keeps nagging at me to get helper back again, coz he worried I'm tired out esp now I'm pregnant with #4. I told him we already have a biweekly helper to scrub toilet and kitchen. I told him to let me try my luck for non-live in helper to come everyday for 4hrs to do folding clothes, ironing and vacuum/mop.

Does anyone have luck in solving the clothes issues or part time helper?

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:47 pm

missyqiqi wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:34 pm
I also agree with the dishwasher. Really a lifesaver. Got 3 kids and no helper since March. Got a dishwasher last month, really save me a lot of time. But I have a problem with folding clothes! My god.. the number of clothes my kids wear especially during the school holiday.

My hubby keeps nagging at me to get helper back again, coz he worried I'm tired out esp now I'm pregnant with #4. I told him we already have a biweekly helper to scrub toilet and kitchen. I told him to let me try my luck for non-live in helper to come everyday for 4hrs to do folding clothes, ironing and vacuum/mop.

Does anyone have luck in solving the clothes issues or part time helper?
:congrats: for #4 coming! 3 + 1 without helper, I must salute you :udawoman:

missyqiqi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by missyqiqi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:35 pm

haha.. I'm still coping well, of coz will have a super tired moment, like one of the days I don't feel like doing anything. And nowadays I will fall asleep asap the moment I touch my bed! After the help of dishwasher still not so bad. Just that the folding and hanging of clothes does take a lot of time.