Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

From PSLE to University

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Do you think our Singapore Education System is the only system available to your child?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:01 am

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes : 55

Postby 2ppaamm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:16 pm

ks2me wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:That kid must be very gifted, but in the gifted world there are different levels of giftedness. In Singapore, there's just the GEP, but there is mildly, moderately, highly, exceptionally, profoundly.

EG is the last 2 categories. Maybe your friend's kid in in the other 3? But hor, it's really ok if our kids are not gifted, giftedness has its own issues, you know...

If based on the levels of grade skipping, then perhaps he may not hit the exceptionally and profoundly. However, I wonder if size is an issue for him to jump too many grades because he is quite tiny.

No lah, size is never the matter. But hey, this branch is fantastic ok, they are really great folks, they will take care of many things and they are very close to their EG kids. GEP I'm not sure leh...maybe they are also. GEP mothers will know... Are you one?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:16 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Sorry hor... yesterday's Today papers, page 3. I don't have link leh...

Found it. Paste here for info
http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... s-for-help

this link pop up too, article from a few months ago
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/S ... 59118.html

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:19 pm

2ppaamm wrote:No lah, size is never the matter. But hey, this branch is fantastic ok, they are really great folks, they will take care of many things and they are very close to their EG kids. GEP I'm not sure leh...maybe they are also. GEP mothers will know... Are you one?

Nope, my kid is still young and I don't think she is gifted in the sense of a GEPper. :D
Why I know so much because I know people with gifted kids.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fairy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:20 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
sleepy wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:the website says 3 in 100,000, but actually the FSIQ they take looks more like 1/100,000 to me. So that's 99.999 percentile. Very different hor? :D Now we know why that 7 year old boy parents (read the papers today) jumping up and down. :rotflmao:

Which newspaper? Straits Times or Today? Can cut & paste the link here?

Sorry hor... yesterday's Today papers, page 3. I don't have link leh...

I could not access the archieved Online copy from yesterday's Today. However, found this. Is this the article you read? Btw, the article was also in Straits Times.

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... inflexible?

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:20 pm

sleepy wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:Sorry hor... yesterday's Today papers, page 3. I don't have link leh...

Found it. Paste here for info

this link pop up too, article from a few months ago
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/S ... 59118.html

Fantastic! You are a great research mate! Ha ha, read all the comments there... the whole Singapore is so angry... :rotflmao:

Ask them to join KSP, they'll see there are alternatives lah...

O, but read that Abigail Sin to the rescue. Some stuff not very true. She was identified GEP, but she chose mainstream because she wanted to play the piano... what 'extra' did MOE give her? Piano teachers did the coaching. Mummy and daddy paid the fees!

Then she was shipped to Yong Siew Toh directly at 15. Now she's on the dean's list every year. It's Abigail to MOE's rescue! :politebleah:

The other article. I'm sure it is 100% true. Maturity is required for some of these studies...
Last edited by 2ppaamm on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:30 pm

ks2me wrote:Nope, my kid is still young and I don't think she is gifted in the sense of a GEPper. :D
Why I know so much because I know people with gifted kids.

Gifted or not not important lah. Most important must be happy. Do some research on gifted kids. You will see that they end up with very boring jobs...

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:30 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Fantastic! You are a great research mate! Ha ha, read all the comments there... the whole Singapore is so angry... :rotflmao:

Ask them to join KSP, we'll teach them alternatives lah...

O, but read that Abigail Sin to the rescue. Some stuff not very true. She was identified GEP, but she chose mainstream because she wanted to play the piano... what 'extra' did MOE give her? Piano teachers did the coaching. Mummy and daddy paid the fees!

Then she was shipped to Yong Siew Toh directly at 15. Now she's on the dean's list every year. It's Abigail to MOE's rescue! :politebleah:

The other article. I'm sure it is 100% true. Maturity is required for some of these studies...

The reality is MOE does not groom such kids easily.
Every story has some insider background to it. Abigail is fortunate in some ways as they are many the same if not better than her are not as lucky to be chosen. To some extent, there has to be subjective considerations. :wink:

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:33 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Gifted or not not important lah. Most important must be happy. Do some research on gifted kids. You will see that they end up with very boring jobs...

Yes I know, I have asked before about some cases and the outcome is just normal, but of course, an above average life and not known in a big way.

Postby 2ppaamm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:34 pm

ks2me wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:Fantastic! You are a great research mate! Ha ha, read all the comments there... the whole Singapore is so angry... :rotflmao:

Ask them to join KSP, we'll teach them alternatives lah...

The reality is MOE does not groom such kids easily.
Every story has some insider background to it. Abigail is fortunate in some ways as they are many the same if not better than her are not as lucky to be chosen. To some extent, there has to be subjective considerations. :wink:

Abigail has great parents. Her parents searched out the teachers for her at a very young age. If not for the nurture she receives, there may be others. At 5 or 6, she was just above average, but she is focused and determined. Can you beat that? She practised at least 5 hours a day, her metronome ticks nonstop in her house. That kind of passion is what makes that genius. Nature only play one part, nurture the other.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:45 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Abigail has great parents. Her parents searched out the teachers for her at a very young age. If not for the nurture she receives, there may be others. At 5 or 6, she was just above average, but she is focused and determined. Can you beat that? She practised at least 5 hours a day, her metronome ticks nonstop in her house. That kind of passion is what makes that genius. Nature only play one part, nurture the other.

Yes you are right. It was a combination of factors that brought about her success. If it is only about talent, there are some others who can outshine her but she has all the right factors. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres