MOE Partners Chinese Academy of Sciences to Boost Innovation and Enterprise in Science & Technology
1. The Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS; 中国科学院) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to promote innovation, entrepreneurship, and the growth of science and technology enterprises through cooperation in science and higher education. The MOU was signed in Singapore by 2nd Permanent Secretary (Education) Lai Chung Han and CAS Vice President, Professor Zhang Jie and witnessed by Minister for Education (Higher Education and Skills) Ong Ye Kung.
2. The MOU seeks to promote cooperation in innovation and enterprise between Singapore’s Autonomous Universities (AUs) and universities/institutes under the CAS. Possible areas of collaboration that the institutions can explore under the MOU include:
- Exchanges and innovation-related events involving students and researchers
- Incubation facilities and innovation platforms in Singapore, China, and ASEAN countries
- Knowledge exchange and capacity-building in areas such as intellectual property and technology transfer management
3. Singapore’s AUs and CAS have existing collaborations. Under this MOU, the AUs will separately negotiate and determine cooperative initiatives with their counterparts from the CAS to build new collaborations in other areas. NUS and NTU will also be signing separate MOUs with institutes under the CAS to explore possible areas of collaboration.