1. 117 students received the Singapore-Industry Scholarship (SgIS) at the 2017 SgIS Award Ceremony today. The event was graced by Minister for Education (Higher Education and Skills) Ong Ye Kung.
2. SgIS is a multi-industry scholarship to groom future Singaporean industry leaders in strategic sectors that are critical for Singapore’s development1. This year, 12 new organisations are participating in the SgIS, bringing the total to 62 sponsoring organisations2. They come from over 16 industries, including aviation, engineering, electronics, healthcare, lifestyle products and services, and social services.
3. A key feature of SgIS is the Scholars’ Development and Engagement Programme, which exposes scholarship recipients to various industry-relevant development opportunities. These include forums with thought leaders from the public and private sectors, internships and mentorships with their Sponsoring Organisations.
4. A new partnership forged this year with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will see the introduction of the SgIS-HR Continuing Education & Training (CET) Grant to provide continuous development for SgIS scholars specialising in Human Resources (HR). Aimed at developing a strong pipeline of future-ready HR professionals, the CET Grant will support the professional development of the scholars after graduation, allowing them to deepen their HR expertise and contribute more effectively to their organisation’s human capital development efforts.
5. From 2018, the 6th local Autonomous University (AU) – the Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) - will also be included as one of the SgIS partner institutions. This will provide opportunities for more Singaporean students to benefit from the development programmes under SgIS.
6. With increased opportunities for aspiring students and a strong focus on skills mastery and continuous learning, the SgIS is well placed to fulfil its long-term commitment to groom Singaporean talent into future industry leaders for different strategic sectors.
More information on SgIS can be found at https://www.singaporeindustryscholarship.sg/about-sgis/what-is-sgis
The new sponsoring organisations are Integrated Health Information Systems (IHiS) Pte Ltd, Makino Asia Pte Ltd, Marvell Asia Pte Ltd, Murata Electronics Singapore (Pte.) Ltd, Rohde & Schwarz Asia Pte Ltd, Showa Denko HD (Singapore) Pte Ltd, SICK Product Center Asia Pte Ltd, Siltronic Singapore Pte Ltd, Singapore LNG Corporated Pte Ltd, STMicroelectronics Pte Ltd, Systems on Silicon Manufacturing Co. Pte Ltd (SSMC) and United Microelectronics Corporation. The list of Sponsoring Organisations can found at https://www.singaporeindustryscholarship.sg/industries