Outstanding Pre-School Mother Tongue Language Teacher Award 2016
1. This year, seven dedicated pre-school teachers will receive the Outstanding Pre-school Mother Tongue Language (MTL) Teacher Award . Ms Low Yen Ling, Parliamentary Secretary for Ministry of Education, will present the awards to them at the 5th Mother Tongue Languages Symposium on Saturday, 20 August 2016. Another five pre-school teachers will receive the merit award. The full list of award recipients can be found in Annex A.
2. The award, jointly presented by Mother Tongue Languages Learning and Promotion Committees , and supported by the Lee Kuan Yew Fund for Bilingualism, recognises pre-school teachers for their passion in making the learning of MTLs engaging and in nurturing a love for languages among pre-school children.
3. The 12 award recipients were selected from a total of 90 nominations. The selection panel consisted of nine experienced pre-school educators and academics who conducted on-site lesson observations and interviews with the teachers as part of the selection process.
5th Mother Tongue Languages (MTL) Symposium
4. Into its fifth year, the MTL Symposium brings together Singapore schools and the community to share our collective efforts in promoting MTL through creative and engaging programmes. The MTL Symposium, jointly organised by the Ministry of Education and the Mother Tongue Languages Learning and Promotion Committees, will be held at the Suntec Singapore Exhibition and Convention Centre, from 11am to 8pm on Saturday, 20 August 2016.
5. Themed “A Garden for Joyful Discoveries”, this year’s MTL Symposium emphasises the importance of building a strong MTL foundation from young. It also explores how parents could contribute towards making MTL learning a fun and fulfilling journey of discovery, extended beyond classrooms to the home environment and community.
6. Besides 28 sharing sessions and workshops, there will also be 43 exhibition booths by pre-school centres, schools and various partners. These booths will showcase innovative teaching methods and community programmes that help to nurture children as active learners and proficient users of their MTL. A list of activities and exhibitions at the MTL Symposium can be found at www.mtls.com.sg. Admission is free.