550 students from 33 pre-university institutions1 have come together at this year’s Pre-University Seminar to envision possibilities to transform Singapore. Held at the Singapore Management University and the Nanyang Technological University, the seminar will run from 28 May to 1 June 2018. Minister for Education, Ong Ye Kung, is the Guest-of-Honour at the Opening Ceremony on Wednesday, 30 May, while Second Minister for Education, Indranee Rajah, will grace the Closing Ceremony on Friday, 1 June.
2. ‘#TransformingOurSG’ is the theme for this year’s seminar - focusing on how young Singaporeans can cherish the strong foundations they have inherited, while exploring novel ideas and approaches to bring Singapore forward into the future.
3. During the seminar, students will formulate their ‘Transformation Roadmap’ for Singapore. In charting the roadmap, participants will develop a balanced perspective of the issues at hand, gather information from relevant experts, engage key industry players and policymakers, and collect data from surveys and other learning destinations to propose approaches to secure Singapore’s future.
4. To maximise the learning experience and understand the complexity of social issues, participants will work in teams to delve into one of the following focus areas:
- Fundamentally Strong
- Socially Inclusive
- Technologically Smart
Pre-University Seminar Highlights
5. The seminar opens with panel discussions and a #TransformingOurSG Challenge learning journey. This will enrich the research and data gathering process prior to the development of the Transformation Roadmap, which will be showcased on the final day of the seminar. Please refer to the Annex for more details.
6. Participants will also leverage on technology to enhance their learning process.
- Charting and Showcasing the Transformation Roadmap
The learning journey route will be customised using the Pocket Trips mobile application, which uses location-based technology to deliver content. Participants are engaged via the platform and will need to visit actual locations in order to access the information they require. This will enable them to immerse themselves in an authentic setting as they complete the designated route.
Teams will also harness technology to produce models and/or infographics that capture their background research, visionary thinking and creative solutions to showcase their Transformation Roadmap.
- Seminar Theme Song
A digital word cloud will be generated from words and phrases suggested by the participants which symbolise their vision for Singapore. This word cloud will be turned into lyrics with music by a River Valley High School student. The song will debut during the Opening Ceremony and be performed by all seminar participants during the Closing Ceremony.
Including Junior Colleges, the Centralised Institute, Integrated Programme Schools, Independent Schools, Specialised Independent Schools, Polytechnics and International Schools.