Students, educators, parents and members of the public are invited to nominate Tamil language teachers for the Most Inspiring Tamil Teachers’ (MITT) Award 2019. Nominations are open from 19 February to 30 April 2019.
2. The annual MITT Award aims to recognise Tamil language teachers in primary and secondary schools, junior colleges and Millennia Institute who have made significant contributions to the teaching and learning of Tamil language. Nominees should be:
Teachers who nurture students’ interest in Tamil language by infusing innovative pedagogies in the teaching of Tamil, and inspire students to be self-directed and engaged learners; and
Educators who teach with passion, demonstrate a keen interest in students’ well-being and have positively impacted their students.
3. Since the award’s inauguration in 2002, the MITT Award has recognised 190 primary, secondary, and pre-university Tamil language teachers. This year, there will be a total of six awards in the ‘Primary’, ‘Secondary’ and ‘Pre-University’ categories. The results will be announced and the recipients presented with their awards at a ceremony in August 2019.
4. The nomination form can be obtained from all schools in hardcopy or downloaded from www.tllpc.sg or www.tamilmurasu.com.sg. Nominations can also be made online at http://tinyurl.com/MITT-TAMIL2019 and http://tinyurl.com/MITT-ENGLISH2019.
5. The MITT Award is jointly organised by Tamil Murasu, Tamil Language Learning and Promotion Committee (TLLPC), and the Singapore Tamil Teachers’ Union (STTU). For more information, please email MOE_TLLPC_Secretariat@moe.gov.sg.
Best NIE Trainee Teacher Award and Lifetime Achievement Award
6. In addition to the MITT Award, two other awards will also be presented at the same ceremony in August 2019: the Best NIE Trainee Teacher Award and the Lifetime Achievement Award1.
The Best NIE Trainee Teacher Award recognises the best-performing Tamil language trainee teacher during his/her course of study. The recipient will be selected by NIE.
The Lifetime Achievement Award honours the contributions of our pioneer Tamil language teachers who have been exemplary in their role and have inspired generations of students and teachers. The recipient will be selected by representatives from STTU.
- The Best NIE (National Institute of Education) Trainee Teacher Award was first introduced in 2013, while the Lifetime Achievement Award was first given out in 2002.