1. In recognition of how they inspire their students and peers through their words and deeds, six outstanding teachers received the 2016 President’s Award for Teachers (PAT)1 from President Tony Tan Keng Yam at the Istana during the Teachers’ Day Reception on Thursday, 1 September 2016. They are (not in order of merit):
- Mr Anil s/o Vasudevan, Marsiling Secondary School;
- Mdm Juliana Bte Johari, Qihua Primary School;
- Ms O Guat Bee, Temasek Primary School;
- Mdm Phoon Lyvenne, Spectra Secondary School.
- Mdm Tang Sheng Lien Michele, Catholic High School (Secondary);
- Mr Tharmendra Jeyaraman, Siglap Secondary School;
2. The six PAT 2016 recipients are caring and nurturing teachers dedicated to the holistic development of their students. They are committed to developing their students to the fullest potential and adopt innovative approaches in their lessons. As role models, these teachers are life-long learners and mentors to their peers. They were chosen from 2,557 teachers nominated2 by school leaders, teachers, parents, former students, and students this year.
3. The six recipients were selected by a panel chaired by Ms Denise Phua Lay Peng, Chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Education, and comprising representatives from Ministry of Education (MOE) and PArents in Support of Schools (COMPASS). There are a total of 13 PAT 2016 finalists, whose names are listed in the Annex.
- The objective of President’s Award for Teachers (PAT) is to recognise excellent teachers for their role in educating the young people of our nation. Since its inception in 1998, the PAT – administered by the Academy of Singapore Teachers – has recognised 78 outstanding teachers, including this year’s recipients.
- There were a total of 6,627 nominations this year. Some teachers received more than one nomination.