1. Six outstanding educators received the 2017 President’s Award for Teachers (PAT) from President Tony Tan Keng Yam at the Istana during the Teachers’ Day Reception on Friday, 25 August 2017. They are (not in order of merit):
- Mr Jahangeer B Mohamed Jahabar, Endeavour Primary School;
- Dr Ow Yeong Wai Mang, Henry Park Primary School;
- Mr Djohan Bin Abdul Rahman, Bishan Park Secondary School;
- Mdm Lim Hwee Sian, Cedar Girls' Secondary School;
- Ms Asrina Bte Abdul Samad, Institute of Technical Education;
- Ms Kwa Lay Ping, Singapore Polytechnic.
2. For the first time, the PAT has been extended to include educators from the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) and polytechnics. This is in recognition of their important role in technical and vocational education, as well as lifelong learning.
3. The six PAT 2017 recipients are caring and nurturing educators dedicated to the holistic development of their students. They are committed to developing their students to the fullest potential, and adopt innovative approaches in their lessons. As role models, these teachers are lifelong learners and mentors to their peers. They were chosen from 4,105 teachers nominated by school leaders, teachers, parents, former and current students this year.
4. The six recipients were selected by a panel chaired by Ms Denise Phua, Chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Education. The panel comprised representatives from the Ministry of Education (MOE), COMmunity and PArents in Support of Schools (COMPASS), and Post-Secondary Education Institutions (PSEIs). The list of all 17 PAT 2017 finalists is in the Annex.