1. 29,112 school candidates sat for the 2017 Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level (GCE O-Level) examination. 99.9% have been awarded certificates.
2. The results of the 2017 examination – comparable to that of 2016 - are as follows.
|1 or more GCE
|3 or more GCE
|5 or more GCE
3. Besides school candidates, 1,570 private candidates also sat for the 2017 examination. 90.8% of them have been awarded certificates.
4. For the first batch of Normal (Academic) students who were offered higher-level subjects under Subject-Based Banding (Secondary), about 370 took one or more subjects in English Language, Mathematics, Combined Sciences and Mother Tongue Languages at the Express Level. These students’ overall performance in these subjects were comparable to their peers in the O-Level cohort.
Joint Admissions Exercise
5. Students who wish to apply for admission to Junior Colleges (JCs), Millennia Institute, polytechnics, or the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) may do so via the Joint Admissions Exercise (JAE) using their GCE O-Level examination results. JAE registration will open from 3.00pm on Friday, 12 January 2018 to 4.00pm on Wednesday, 17 January 2018.
6. Four JCs will not be admitting JC1 students in 20181. The other JCs will be able to increase their intake of students in the 2018 JAE. This may result in increases in cut-off points (COP) for JCs participating in the 2018 JAE. These COP variations do not reflect the quality of each JC nor its programmes. We encourage students to continue choosing JCs based on each school’s distinctive programmes, CCAs, and school culture – factors that can further develop their strengths and interests. We also want to reassure students and parents that there will be sufficient capacity and JC places to cater to demand.
Education and Career Guidance (ECG)
7. Students who need guidance on educational options and next steps can approach their teachers or the ECG Counsellors supporting their schools. Alternatively, students can book an appointment to see an ECG Counsellor at the MOE ECG Centre @ Grange Road from 8 to 19 Jan 2018, by calling the ECG hotline at 6831 1420 or by logging on to MOE_ECG@moe.gov.sg.
8. In addition, students may wish to refer to the interactive web-based MySkillsFuture portal. The one-stop portal provides up-to-date information on the education options and career development pathways available to students and points them to a range of suitable education and career possibilities. Students may also use the portal to match their interests and aptitudes to specific courses and careers.
- As announced in April 2017, four pairs of JCs will be merged in 2019. Serangoon Junior College, Tampines Junior College, Jurong Junior College and Innova Junior College will not be admitting JC1 students in 2018 and hence will not participate in the 2018 JAE. The programmes offered at the merged site will be a combination of those previously offered at the pair of merging JCs. More information is available in the 2018 JAE Information Booklet.