Renewing our Singapore Dream
1. This year’s Pre-University Seminar will see 550 students from 34 pre-university institutions come together to share their hopes and dreams for Singapore. Under the theme of ‘Renewing our Singapore Dream’, the seminar will be held from 29 May to 1 June 2017 at the National University of Singapore.
2. In sharing their aspirations for Singapore, students will be encouraged to consider how the Singapore Dream itself has evolved. Key considerations such as the pursuit of a higher standard of living and the journey towards building a mature society driven by compassion will drive the discussions. Through interaction with a broad spectrum of Singaporeans and individual reflection, the seminar aims to instil in our youth a better appreciation of different perspectives, a deeper understanding of the core principles and values which have grounded and spurred Singapore thus far, and to reflect upon their relevance in today’s context.
3. To facilitate discussion, four domains have been identified. While participants will be exposed to all domains in the course of the seminar, they will collaborate in teams to delve into one area of focus each:
- Civic Domain
- Economic Domain
- Socio-Cultural Domain
- Environmental Domain
Pre-University Seminar Highlights
4. For the first time, this year’s seminar will incorporate an ‘Engage’ Experience learning programme, which is customised to support student teams in researching their area of focus, reflecting on their findings and articulating their ideas.
5. Students will also participate in a social engagement activity on Day 3 of the Pre-University Seminar, where each team will interact with members of the public to gain insights into Singaporeans’ dreams and enable participants to have a better understanding of ground realities and challenges. More details can be found in the Annex.