Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Sport Singapore (SportSG) and the Ministry of Education (MOE) had suspended public use of school sports facilities under the Dual-Use Scheme (DUS) in March 2020. In line with the progressive resumption of activities in Singapore, SportSG and MOE will now reopen selected DUS chargeable fields (CFs) and Indoor Sport Halls (ISHs) for public bookings during the upcoming year-end school holidays.
2. From 21 November 2020 to 27 December 2020, members of the public will be able to access a total of 50 chargeable fields and 119 ISHs located in 135 primary and secondary schools 1. Bookings can be made in advance through the ActiveSG app from 18 November 2020. Public use of other DUS facilities, such as all DUS free-to-play fields and DUS courts not within the ISHs, will remain suspended.
Safe Management Measures
3. To minimise the risk of community transmission and ensure the safety of the public as well as school students and staff, SportSG will implement Safe Management Measures (SMMs) in all reopened DUS facilities, in line with the practice at ActiveSG sports centres. This includes:
- SafeEntry and temperature taking;
- No intermingling and cross-playing between different groups;
- Mandatory for hirer to be present during the time of play;
- Use of DUS ISH for Badminton:
Maximum of five persons per badminton court (including an instructor or coach) can be admitted in DUS ISHs. However, only a maximum of four badminton players are allowed on each badminton court at any one time;
- Use of DUS ISH for other sports (e.g. netball, volleyball, basketball and floorball):
Maximum of five persons per court are allowed at any one time; and
- Use of DUS CF:
Maximum of 50 persons are allowed on each CF with 3m distancing between groups of five.
Users can refer to SportSG's advisory for the resumption of sport and physical exercise & activity at https://www.myactivesg.com/COVID-19 for the detailed SMMs to observe.
4. A Safe Distancing Ambassador and a facility warden will also be stationed at each facility to ensure that players observe the required SMMs. In addition to the regular cleaning routine, all touch points within the facilities will be wiped down at the end of each day of public use. The facilities will also be thoroughly cleaned before the start of the school term in January 2021.
5. SportSG will take strong action against individuals who fail to comply with the SMMs, including barring them from the use of all DUS and ActiveSG facilities. Public use of the affected facilities may also be suspended as a result of such non-compliance.
6. "The intent of reopening DUS facilities during the year-end school holidays is to offer more spaces for members of the public to exercise, while ensuring that the safety of our players, as well as of school students and staff, are not compromised. While we want to encourage everyone to continue leading an active lifestyle, we urge all to do so safely and responsibly, and to remain vigilant. The underpinning principle of the resumption of physical activities and sports under strict SMMs is to provide a safe environment for people and minimise community transmissions." said Mr Sng Hock Lin, Chief of ActiveSG, SportSG.
7. Given the evolving COVID-19 situation, SportSG and MOE will jointly review the feasibility of extending public use of DUS facilities beyond 27 December 2020 and into 2021. For more information on the DUS facilities that will be open for public use, as well as the booking details, please refer to https://myactivesg.com.
- Dunman High School’s (DHS) CF and ISH, as well as Gan Eng Seng Primary School’s (GESPS) ISH will reopen from 5 December 2020 to 27 December 2020. This is because DHS’ facilities will be used for the GCE A-Level examinations, which will conclude on 2 December 2020, while GESPS’ ISH is currently undergoing maintenance works until 4 December 2020.