Hitting higher notes through ‘Stories We Sing’
1. For the first time, 19 educators and artists have come together to create 12 new songs for students under the ‘Stories We Sing' project1. A collaboration between the Singapore Teachers’ Academy for the aRts (STAR) under MOE and the National Arts Council (NAC), the project aims to enhance the quality of music teaching and learning in schools with the creation of contemporary songs that have a uniquely Singaporean touch.
Making Music Come Alive for Students
2. ‘Stories We Sing' consists of an audio CD of the songs2, a book publication containing the song lyrics and a set of 50 lesson ideas designed by music teachers. The new songs were created for music teachers teaching classes from the upper primary to lower secondary levels. They will use these songs as supplementary repertoire to support classroom teaching.
Fostering Cross-cultural Understanding
3. There are a total of 12 commissioned songs under ‘Stories We Sing’ - six songs in the English language and two each in Chinese, Malay and Tamil languages.
4. Grouped under the four themes of “Deepening Roots”, “Growing Communities”, “Moving Landscapes” and “Living Life”, the commissioned songs express thoughts on Singapore’s urban landscape, national icons and local traditional festivals, among other elements. As the lyrics cover authentic reflections of life in Singapore, both students and teachers will be able to identify the songs with their own daily experiences. Through these songs, students will have the opportunity to develop a rich music repertoire founded on the various musical cultures that abound in Singapore. They will also imbue in students a sense of identity and rootedness towards Singapore. Songs sung in the vernacular languages will help to engender cross-cultural understanding and appreciation among students. Teachers can also design relevant and varied musical experiences for their students, allowing them to find more meaning in their learning, and develop a greater interest in music.
- Refer to the annex for the full list of educators and artists involved in creating the songs
- See Annex on full list of songs.