22 students were recognised for their songwriting skills at the award ceremony for the "Xin Kong Xia" National Schools Xinyao Songwriting Competition 2020, which was held online this year.
2. Minister of State for Education and Chairperson of the Committee to Promote Chinese Language Learning (CPCLL), Ms Sun Xueling, was Guest-of-Honour at the event.
3. Co-organised by CPCLL, Jurong Pioneer Junior College, Lianhe Zaobao and TCR Music Station, the annual competition aims to promote our local cultural heritage, xinyao, and encourage students to learn Chinese language in an interesting and engaging manner.
4. Held from end-April to September 2020, students from secondary schools, ITE, junior colleges, polytechnics, and local universities submitted their entries for the following categories – (i) Songwriting (Open) Category, (ii) Songwriting (Creative) Category and (iii) Lyrics Writing Category. Despite the competition not having a singing category this year in view of COVID-19, the competition still received a total of 267 entries from 60 schools - the highest received thus far.
5. We also introduced a Lyrics Writing Category for the first time this year. Participants were required to pen the song lyrics to a tune by local composer and singer, Li Fey Huei. The winning lyrics, which talks about youths chasing their dreams and overcoming challenges, will be included in the recording of the "Xin Kong Xia"《新空下》theme song for 2021.
6. A showcase of the winning songs is planned to be held next year at Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay.
7. For more details on the winners and CPCLL events, please visit CPCLL's website, https://www.cpcll.sg.